US Marine Corps

Updated Jul 21, 2014

4.2 1,933 reviews

US Marine Corps Commandant General James F. Amos

General James F. Amos

Pros
  • Full medical and dental along with housing paid for(in 51 reviews)

• You get to travel, see the world and get aquainted with other people of the world(in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to spend time away from family in both deployed and non-deployed enviroments(in 125 reviews)

• Long hours, stuck with some people that in the civilian world would have been fired(in 219 reviews)

1,933 Employee Reviews

This is absolutely a lifestyle, not a job, and I am proud to have been a part!

Marine Corps Pilot (Current Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA (US)

ProsDiscipline, pride, knowledge and experience that I will keep with me for the rest of my life. Faced with multiple challenging scenarios that I will never encounter again. If you want to see yourself rise to the occasion and find ways to be successful with limited resources, this is the place for you. Absolutely not for the faint of heart!

ConsWork - life balance is very difficult. In certain positions, the amount a person is required to give makes it very difficult to find balance. Very little time in certain jobs, there is lots of turnover which makes it very difficult for consistency. Marines are constantly learning to be "OK" at multiple jobs rather than fantastic at one. I do understand the need for that though!

AWESOME

Infantry Squad Leader (Current Employee) Jacksonville, NC (US)

Prosbrotherhood, bonds, deployments, benefits, advancement

Conscontract, no perks, told what to do, not greatest family atmosphere

Foundation for future success

Infantry Squad Leader (Former Employee) Camp Pendleton, CA (US)

ProsYou learn a skill set in four or more years that can't be learned in the same amount of time in the civilian work force. You will be set up for success in any field you pursue. If you desire, you even get the GI Bill to help you achieve an education.

ConsVery challenging work environment if you are unwilling to put out for the greater good of your peers. It is becoming a more politically correct environment which may pose problems in future military conflicts. Promotions are slow in some fields, and you are not payed well until you hit your 4 year mark.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to be politically correct, stop being scared to kick out those that don't embody what a US Marine is supposed to be. Keep up the dedication to our nations security.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Amazing experience

Avionics Technician (Current Employee) Pensacola, FL (US)

ProsFree technical training to start a future career, amazing benefits, once in a lifetime opportunity, 30 days paid vacation a year.

ConsFew and far between bad leaders.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Great experience and strong ability for personal growth.

E5 - Marines - Sergeant (Former Employee)

ProsLearn leadership and teamwork. Strong work ethics developed. Setup for great success post military.

ConsA lot of time away from family. Difficult for advancing in some fields.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing that can be changed.

Awesome experiences

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosit develops a sense of responsibility and commitment among its employees. it literally makes improvements in every aspect of your life, leaving you with endless possibilities.

ConsI don't really have anything bad to say about the Marine Corps. I've had nothing but good experiences every where i went.

Hardcore

ProsProud to serve your country and meaningful work

ConsUncle sam comes first no matter what is going on in your life. Hurry up and wait.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the full court press on congress as they don’t even comprehend the struggle to make it a military family in 2014.

Great adventure if your up to the task

Embarkation Chief (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX (US)

Prosvalues and friendship, morale and leadership. fundamentals of an every day work environment. maturity.

Constime away from family, duties that will be inconvenient due to rank. fitness dictates your life vs job proficiency. the right way will always be the hard way regardless of how simple and obvious it is.

Great formative Experience for the the rest of your life

E5 - Marines - Sergeant (Former Employee) Quantico, VA (US)

ProsYou learn life lessons that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Once you become Marine, you enter a brotherhood forged in the blood of those that came before you, fight alongside you and come after you.

ConsCrap rolls down hill and the big green weenie doesn't discern between jerks and good marines. All the nonsense will make you stronger in the end.

Phenomenal, One of Kind Experience !!!

Marine Corp Enlisted (E7) (Former Employee) Quantico, VA (US)

ProsThe lifestyle, the brotherhood, the sense of belonging and being part of the best fighting force in the World.

ConsCan be demanding on families due to constant deployment.

Worked for US Marine Corps? Contribute to the Community!