USRA

Be The First To
Add Photos

USRA President & CEO Frederick A. Tarantino

Frederick A. Tarantino

Great People! Great Workplace!

ProsThe place is very friendly and with great salary and benefits. They are continuing to offer new perks every year. It's a strange non-profit company but seems like a business so any extra profit goes back into it's employees or programs. Very flexible with your schedule and time off!!!

ConsIt's a company that does well on the merits of a small group of employees winning government projects so that can be a little nerve-wracking.

A body shop for NASA

Research Scientist Engineer II (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsIf you want to work at a NASA Center this is probably a good way to do it. A better way is to apply directly for a civil service position. Spending time as a support services contractor is pretty much a dead-end position. The only real way to get ahead is to leave and join another contractor body shop.

ConsAs a contractor you are treated as part of the team when it's necessary and excluded on all other occasions. As a way of decreasing the governments commitment for retirement and health care benefits, the civil servant pool has been drastically reduced over the last 30 years. To make up for the shortfall in manpower, a number of bodyshop contracting organizations have been created. This company is one of them. When troubles in NASA rise the typical approaches to blame the contractors. If you're up for this by all means take a position here.

These companies also serve as a lobbying arm for federal programs. Inherent conflict of interest is that they are lobbying for programs that they benefit from correctly.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis assumes of course that they would even listen.

Good stable company with favorable benefits

Research Scientist I (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsEfficient administration, HR is very responsive and open to comments. Good benefits. Great colleagues. Good salary.

ConsStability is too dependent on aerospace projects, which are seeing a decline over the course of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo complaints.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic Life/Work Balance

ProsUSRA is a non-Profit, but operates as a very lean and efficient business. It takes on its customers' missions as its own. A terrific work environment.

ConsIt's a non-profit, sometimes that can restrict access to certain programs requiring a for-profit.

Great experience but not a stable long term job

Research Scientist I (Current Employee) Idaho Falls, ID (US)

ProsWorked on lots of interesting projects that were exciting and creative

ConsNot a stable job due to funding being sporadic

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the excitement might need to pay someone to constantly write proposals to keep funding steady

Good company

ProsGives you a lot of freedom

ConsSalary grading not always fair

Scientist, Mountain View, CA

Scientist (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsWorking closely with NASA.
    Flex working hours.

ConsNo opportunities for career advancement within the organization. No professional development. Management needs to better communicate with the employees instead of intercepting their emails.

Good exposure to NASA

Research Scientist (Current Employee) Moffett Field, CA (US)

ProsDecent benefits for health insurance and retirement
    Close exposure to NASA working environment and program management
    A relaxed academic work environment

ConsZero opportunity for career growth within the company
    NASA management can be extremely hostile
    No interaction with employees beyond your immediate contract

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany 990's should be available on your web site.

NASA Contractor

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat employees at Moffett Field location.

ConsCommunication from the Home Office and Management team needs improvement.

Insufficiently challenging

Scientist (Junior) (Former Employee) Mountain View, CA (US)

ProsYou have flexibility in working hours. You sometimes have the possibility for telecommute.

ConsA relatively large number of managers. Managers make decisions and listen to each other only.Managers are paid to maintain their management positions. Employees are not involved in the way the place is managed. The way the tasks are distributed to the employees are not always appropriate. As an employee, you are often given tasks for which you are overqualified.

No opportunities for professional growth and no challenging work.

Not a family friendly place.

Managers do screen and intercept employees personal emails.

Worked for USRA? Contribute to the Community!