Uber

Updated 26 November 2014
Updated 26 November 2014
3.3

Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • Uber brings in a culture that allows for innovation and fast paced development (in 18 reviews)

• Impactful work - you are literally changing the world (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Not getting bored means you have to take care of your own work/life balance (in 47 reviews)

• Long hours though you will hardly notice as the work is very exciting (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Uber-X partner (driver)

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Only for the riders mostly, weekly backs payment, minimum waiting time between jobs

Cons

Dropped fare saying experiment, relief for riders no relief to drivers they call em partners, wrong should call em work mules

Bring the fares back and cap surge price to 1.75 max

The most exciting environment I've ever worked in

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Startups love to talk about how they're 'killing it', even though usually they're just struggling to survive to their next round of funding. The focus on Uber isn't on 'killing it', everyone knows we're already doing that; we want to know what we can do to kill it faster.

Compensation is extremely competitive, and includes something that no other company can offer: equity in one of the fastest growing companies in history. Even now, Uber is out of its infancy and continuing to double revenues every six months.

Transparency within the company is a big part of our culture. There's a weekly meeting where anyone in the company can ask the CEO a question and get an honest/unfiltered response.

You get to work with a lot of extremely talented people from a wide variety of backgrounds. I've met people at HQ from six different continents, and I'm currently the only male engineer on my team. Diversity is a common buzzword these days, but at a company as small and simultaneously global as Uber it's also a reality.

Cons

The company is growing extremely fast; sometimes there are more people than desks and working arrangements can get very... 'cozy'. With that growth comes lots of change, and you will feel very uncomfortable if you are used to being in a predictable environment.

Work/life balance may be a deal breaker for some. We're trying to grow the team as fast as the number of problems we're facing is growing, but sometimes the latter outpaces the former and the days can get very long, but the work is usually still exiting. I've never been told to work on a weekend, but I have voluntarily spent a few at the office building something I wanted to make.

Amazing team, amazing company

Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineering in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Smart, collaborative, ambitious, friendly team. Strong leadership, yet very little is top down. Lots of autonomy and opportunity. Amazing growth which makes everything more fun (and challenging)!

Cons

Nothing big yet. Hyper growth comes with a set of challenges -- but that's what makes it fun!

The most fun I've had

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Uber is filled with smart, talented people who honestly want to make a difference. Whether it's headquarters or the city teams, the employees are always trying to push the boundaries. People are empowered to do what they believe is best and that dynamic makes for an exciting environment. I'm struck by the passion and focus.

The path that the company is on is amazing. While growth is important to scale to the current product, where Uber is headed is a huge selling point for new people to join. I've never been more challenged and yet supported in my career.

Cons

Changing the world is hard work. Sometimes that means long startup-like hours. People don't stay late because they have to, though. They genuinely want to. You also need to be comfortable with ambiguity and shifting areas of focus. I can't speak for the driver experience, but the employee experience is hard work but with great reward.

It can be difficult to not want to reach for the stars every single day. Management needs to continually support a young and growing team. Uber's been very successful as a small, scrappy company but maturity brings new responsibilities. Creating a great, supporting, and balanced culture is key to success.

Great, Fast-Growing Company

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Smart people
    - Fast pace
    - Great leadership
    - Awesome benefits
    - Tightly knit teams/company

Working for a company that is driven by a vision that every employee shares makes working a pleasure. People here work hard and are great at getting things done. It also helps that we all use our application multiple times a week so we understand the product that we're building.

Cons

- As a company that is growing exponentially (global reach and it's personnel), we're constantly faced with new challenges in scaling people and processes, and although handling growing pains is well executed, it requires constant communication that sometimes isn't perfectly executed.
    - You'll get pushed to work hard and get a lot done. If you can't keep up with the work, it will impact your work-life balance.

Keep on doing a great job at keeping the culture as the company grows.

Great, Fast Growing Company to Work at!

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being part of a high-growth company where you get to collaborate with smart and talented people on unique challenges based on your market, city, and particular side of the business has been one of the most rewarding experiences

Lots of opportunity to be innovative, and often pushed by direct managers to be entrepreneurial

Transparency within the company is extremely valued and often practiced. Weekly staff meetings keep everyone on the same page and help to enhance the company's culture

Cons

Long hours sometimes make it difficult to find a work-life balance, but this is pretty standard for the company with as much to accomplish as we do each day

The landscape is constantly changing as the company grows, so if you are not someone who can adapt quickly to new environments, quickly expanding offices and teams, or even day-to-day problems that arise, this may not be the job for you

Great Company doing Great Things!

I have been working at Uber full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazingly flat feeling to the hierarchical structure where every employees opinion is valued and voice can be heard. There is a great sense of transparency coming from the top down. The sense of mission and desire to create a high value product, both for our riders and our partners is tangible everyday and the commitment is shown in the quality of people that are hired each and every day. Benefits are particularly good and the office culture is second to none.

Cons

Long hours, but the reality is everyone here works long and hard because they want to and there is a real purpose to the job. If working long hours towards a mission isn't appealing, this is not the job for you.

I think for a company that is rapidly growing management has done an excellent job of creating a culture of mentorship, and maintaining the feel of a small start up.

Exciting Work, Global Solutions, Dynamic CoWorkers and An Overall Great Company.

Current Employee - Senior Counsel in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Counsel in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Challenging real world problems.
    Work is immediately rolled out to the front lines, my work makes a difference.
    Leaders are in the trenches and always say thank you.
    Smart smart smart coworkers.
    Dynamic pace and work environment.

Cons

None, but save your time if you are not an A player. Uber is for driven A players.

Keep up the great work, we always know you have our backs and we will continue to execute your vision.

Building Uber in new regions without it was awesome!

Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Brand Ambassador in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Uber part-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Uber changed quickly and we had to adapt and be updated, and I think is interesting to bu aware of whats going on.
    - Close to clients to learn from there their points of view about the service

Cons

- No opportunity to grow within the company.
    - Was an unpaid job.

Best experience of my life. I've learned and grown more since being at Uber than I ever have anywhere else.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Honolulu, HI (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Honolulu, HI (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The caliber of people and the fact that good enough isn't ok. We're always striving to be better!

Cons

None to speak of. It's been an amazing experience since day one.

Uber Photos

Use Uber to get around town safely, quickly, and efficiently.
Uber can be used anytime, anywhere, in over 200 major cities around the world.

+ Add Photo