Uber Reviews

Updated 26 August 2014
Updated 26 August 2014

3.3

Travis Kalanick

Pros
  • Meeting great people, making money weekly and getting paid weekly (in 3 reviews)

• Really great work environment and great people (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, it's true that the Uber rating system is flawed (in 10 reviews)

• I mean being a bonified taxi driver does have it's cons like being a taxi driver picking up drunk people other than that (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work place at least at HQ. Different cities and driver might have a very different experience

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

I was surprised about the amount of smart to very smart people working here. The company culture makes it so everybody learns from each other, and at least for my software engineer position, it makes the job much more interesting. Compensation is not competitive for the bay, but people bet on the stocks, and if you believe in it, it is a game changer in comparison with higher salaries you could get somewhere else.
    My favorite part is that most people ( if not all ? ) are truly passionate about what they're doing here and we thrive with the belief that we're making a difference for people.
    Perks are better than what they sound like during the interview.

Cons

This company requires a LOT of work. I'm not talking about startup like, you will get emails at any time of day or night, week days and weekends. Some of them you will be expected to respond. It looks fine for most people because everybody is very involved in what they're doing, so most people don't seem to care, but I wouldn't be surprised if some burn out quickly.
    The company is also growing at a fast rate, which makes it difficult to know if things are still gonna be as good in the future ( so far so good though... )

Make sure to control our growth internally to pursue our external growth properly.

A great place to work but will suck all of your life in!

I have been working at Uber full-time

Pros

Your work really affects the business in your city
    Can be VERY rewarding
    Given a lot of trust and freedom to take action
    Great internal support network
    Very open culture

Cons

Work life balance is absolutely horrendous
    Each city is like a small start up (albeit one which a huge resource backing) so you need to put all of you time in.
    Can be quite stressful

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Driver  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Driver in Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Work when I want, make over $500 a week with less than 20 hours of work. Great for college students.

Cons

Customers rate you and sometimes rate wrong or unfairly. I wish there was a way to know in advance how many people I am picking up at one time.

Please add a tip option for the Cleveland, OH area

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An upstart company that is proven so important to our economy and way of life.

Current Employee - Uber Driver  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Uber Driver in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Uber full-time for less than a year

Pros

You work when it is most advantageous for you and answer to no one about your schedule.

Cons

You drive your own car and have to keep up with the maintenance and gas which can eat away at your earnings.

Take a little less commission to allow for driver overhead then it will truly be a win-win for everyone.

Driving around town.

Current Employee - Uber Driver  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Uber Driver in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at Uber as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Uber allows for flexibility and independence. Drivers offer great customer service and drive when they want. The requirements of the position are simple. Keep a clean and safe car, know your city and how to get around, be an excellent driver, offer your passengers water, communicate respectfully, use the app, etc. Keep up insurance, vehicle inspections and health inspections. It is fun to meet new people everyday. It's fun learning more about the city and all the cool places to experience.

Cons

Demand for Uber is greatest during the evening hours. Uber keeps adding various fees and adjusting the payment percentages. You can make a lot of money, but it is not consistent from one day to the next. There is no base pay to compensate for the drive time to and from pick up locations. We are supposed to deny tips by saying they are not required. There isn't a process for giving tips through the app.

Don't let expansion distract you from making the experience of working for Uber a great deal in itself. Firm up minimum fees per ride, offer base pay after X many rides, create a tip feature in the app for drivers who earn 5 stars, create more community events and organize more driver meetings. While flexibility is fantastic, it is actually consistency that will keep drivers driving. You want your drivers to say, why would I ever go back to X, I am an Uber Driver!

Good

Current Employee - Uber Driver  in  Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Uber Driver in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Uber part-time for less than a year

Pros

Make your own schedule and you determine how much you want to make in a week.

Cons

You only have email communication with Uber management and no real office hours to really talk to someone in person.

Have more options for office hours

5 star rating is not fair to drivers

Current Employee - Uber Partner  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Uber Partner in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Uber part-time for less than a year

Pros

Picking own time, service upon requests, best smile.

Cons

5 star rating give a lot of headache to the drivers. Most passengers don't know that drivers have their lives and families behind them. After all give 5 stars to all Uber drivers, so they can keep their job and gain more experiences while they driving for Uber.

Many drivers are worried they will lose their job. Please reconsider about 5 star ratings. Passengers are passengers they don't care about drivers and their families behind them.

NY/NJ is the best

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Uber rolled out a navigation application for drivers on its iPhone recently, to and from destination which is GREAT!! Made my life/work so much more easier and efficient. Been driving for Uber x for a few months now and I have to say: NY/NJ is a great place to make $, NJ gas is cheap and I have a 4 cylinder new car, otherwise, you will not cover your over head and will barely break even. (not relating this comment to uber SUV and Black car, its a different ball game). Location you work in is everything in this job. No company in any industry is perfect out there but dont read in too much about negative aspects of Uber's set up; its overly exaggerated. Job as a driver is not easy period, and especially some days you feel like its all a waste of effort on your part, but this is what being a driver is all about: you have to have thick skin and brass balls.

Cons

fare prices could and should be hiked

Great company to work for!

I have been working at Uber

Pros

Cutting edge, disruptive, innovative, creative company.
    An awesome work culture.
    It's an exciting place to work. People at Uber are passionate, talented and creative. The Leadership is passionate and has vision, and they are very transparent. The company cares about employees and works hard to keep them engaged and happy. We work hard and play hard, get ready to hustle. Benefits are great!

Cons

It is still a start up but it is one of the best places I've ever worked for, and the resources are great.

Keep being transparent with employees
    Keep innovating

Hectic with the right challenge, ultimately rewarding

I have been working at Uber as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I am genuinely interested in Uber since the early days. I see a lot of potential in their business model and the opportunity they are providing to people, generating jobs in the free market and solving transportation woes that dates back to more than a century.

Cons

You have to be able to process work on the fly. This means going to meetings that are scheduled just 2-4 hours prior!

Worked for Uber? Contribute to the Community!