Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated 29 October 2014
2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 61 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 23 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun first job

Current Employee - Beauty Consultant in Greensboro, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Beauty Consultant in Greensboro, NC (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training was fun and easy, get to be the first to know about sales and make up,free samples and ocassionally free make up

Cons

no room for advancement, compensation and benefits were not the best

Very complex place to work, the discounts are the best.

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

You will always be busy, management is tolerable, there is opportunity to move up. Maybe not as fast as you would like but it is definitely a start

Cons

pay, the customers can be very nasty during holiday time. the hours are very scarce. I had 2 managers quit while I was working here in the first 2 months.

Glamorous

Former Employee - Salon Coordinator
    Former Employee - Salon Coordinator

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

Free salon services, great hours, set schedule

Cons

Looking good enough for them.

Be open to new people & ideas

Easy job and the management team I worked for was great.

Former Employee - Esthetician in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Esthetician in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free product when Reps come to visit. Great discount on products. Lots of great co-workers, I made several good friends from this job.

Cons

Sometimes the customers were hard to deal with but that's to be expected in a customer service setting.

advertise more for the skin care services. Its hard for the estheticians to get more services if there aren't any promotions for them to sale on a regular basis.

Fair company, overall the people make it great!!

Current Employee - Benefit Arch Expert in Macon, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Benefit Arch Expert in Macon, GA (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

No work life balance really it's retail. Great money in so easy posistions, gratis and discounts!

Cons

Very corporate, but overall laid back!!

I am lucky to have a good team of managers!!

Fun to do what I love

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Capitola, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Capitola, CA (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The 25% discount was awesome and I was able to work in what i love doing. Employees would occasionally get gratis and free products from our most popular members

Cons

The hours were terrible and their scheduling system is probably one of the worst I have ever seen in a job.

How about a more updated scheduling system?

Horribly ran company

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Tukwila, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Tukwila, WA (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employee discount
    Contests and raffles to win makeup baskets

Cons

Literally everything else that comes with being employed by ULTA

This is literally the worst company I have ever worked for. The store manager knows absolutely nothing besides how to run the register, so when you are hired, you are given zero information. You have to be the one to ask what you should do on the first day, how you're able to clock in, who you should look for on the first day for training, etc. I left after one week because this place is a huge joke. The managers are just randomly selected girls that have some makeup experience but know zero about customer service or anything more than the regular cashiers. They provide ZERO training and I do mean zero. You get to look over someones shoulder while they ring up a customer and then are expected to do it on your own and know everything after that. They are extremely unhelpful and more worried about you clocking in and out on time so that they don't go over payroll budget than they are with making sure they have competent employees. I would never recommend ULTA to anyone looking for a job!

Hired as a skin therapist, all I did was sell the product "du hour"

Former Employee - Esthetician
    Former Employee - Esthetician

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Discount wasn't too shabby. Got a few freebies from a product rep.

Cons

Despite my knowledge and experience as an esthetician, I was told to sell the product that was on the sales list for that day like it was my favorite and I had used it forever. I couldn't in good conscious sell product I didn't believe in.

Beware

Current Employee - Anonymous in Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time

Pros

The pros are that you get a decent discount and gratis (free stuff) from all different types of vendors visiting the store. Most customers are pretty cool.

Cons

I feel like this store has some sort of curse. I've been working at this location for a little over a year and since working here we have completely re-staffed our management team at least 4 times. Each time we have to suffer, I feel like everything here is based off a "buddy system" no one cares how long you've been here, if you're not friends with whoever is making the schedule be prepared for almost no hours. The training I received (if you want to call it that) was nearly non-existent. I'm not trying to be a crybaby by any means I just want you to know what you're getting yourself into when applying for a join here. It's not a happy place. The girls in the salon are paid a commission, work their butts of and still make no money, aestheticians don't last long because of lack of clientele, surprisingly the arch experts last I've seen many of their clients say they were happy with their service and leave no tip, the girls at the register and prestige usually have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet its just not cool. BEWARE!!!!!

Pay attention to your staff. The employees job is to take care of the customer, the manager's job is to make sure the employees needs are taken care of. Happy employees=Happy customers

Improper practices

Former Employee - Salon Stylist in Spring, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Salon Stylist in Spring, TX (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of walk thru traffic

Cons

Because of such high turnover in management the people who are so called managers know nothing about ultas corporate standards. The store manager would receive free salon services while on the clock..our color bar was never stocked and they left a newly licensed cosmetologist to run the salon alone for 3 months...they use Sally's developer with redken color and do not follow manufacturers instructions on how to use their color...you should never put lightener under the dryer... 15 minutes under heat equals 45 minutes of having that lightener on your hair....unacceptable!

Employ some competent and educated people who are well rounded and have experience in managing a beauty superstore

Ulta Beauty Photos