Ulta Beauty

Updated 17 August 2014

2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 51 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions (in 43 reviews)

• You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

25% off,fellow associates,certain customers. Nothing else.

Cons

Ulta will completely waste your time. After I was hired,I quickly realized that the tiny amount of hours and pay were not enough to support myself. When I approached the GM about changing my availability to accommodate a second job,she seemed to panic and think I was leaving,and immediately offered me a Lead Cashier spot and a raise. I have yet to see either of those things come true.
    Associates do all of the heavy lifting while the managers sit in the office and talk or go on ridiculous conference calls (I've heard the content of these calls while I have to do the Damages. The management strategy is a complete joke). On the subject of Damages,customer returns are thrown away, even ones that look like they haven't been used. The amount of waste that comes from my store alone is appalling.
    All of the new hires in our store are put on truck because all of the other associates know you don't get paid more for doing a much harder job. At this point, Ulta seems completely indifferent to the fact that they are running all of their trustworthy employees away. I won't 've shopping there after I leave,and I'll advise all my friends and family that almost everything Ulta sells can be found cheaper elsewhere.
    I began this job excited,but I really think Ulta is going to run itself into the ground.

Have some respect for your employees. Hire managers who actually care about beauty. Pay more-the starting pay and "raises" are pathetic

How is this company still working? Stay Away!!!!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  West Hills, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in West Hills, CA (US)

Pros

Great concept that is able to generate sales regardless of how it is run.

Cons

Managers are basically sales associates that have a very full plate of tasks to complete themselves, plus all of the management functions; which creates a dysfunctional system. Company openly acknowledges that it doesn't give enough hours to meet the needs for the amount of work that needs to be accomplished. Also has incredible turnover, over 100 percent of employees left in less than 8 months and even had many of the new hires after that initial exit left when I was there. I would not be surprised if for the full year they hit near 200 percent turnover Terrible pay , bonus program is a joke, the goals or so insanely high and it is nearly impossible to meet. They also lied about that fact when I was deciding to accept their offer or not, because most retail bonus programs often rarely pay out, so I made it a point to get a clear answer(Force them to not give me a general platitude but specific percentage of employees bonusing).

You need to slow your new store growth so you can support the existing stores better. Low pay and payroll will continue to drive high turnover and destroy your brand.

CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

Pros

Gratis (free product), nothing else

Cons

You cant trust anyone in this company. Not your General Manager, District Manager, Regional Manager or even your HR Reps. They're looking out for themselves and the money they can make for the company so they can bonus. I've been in retail management for 10 years and I've never worked for a company more back stabbing or conniving. They must not monitor employee turnover at all because my store ran through at least 35 people in the year I was there. Consider yourself warned. Go ANYWHERE but here.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible.

Current Employee - Associate Manager Operations
    Current Employee - Associate Manager Operations

Pros

Gratis is great if you are management or prestige

Cons

No one is cross trained. Not able to take days off because I'm the only one who knows how to do the tasks that I do every week. Training is horrible. Not enough support from upper management (DM). Not enough hours to successfully get everything done. No sales hours need to be cut, difficult to make sales when you don't have anyone to assist customers. Worst job I have ever held. No one seems to care and it seems people only give 50%.

Give your people the tools so that they are able to succeed. All you here is the negative. Never once during a conference call of an email do you hear "good job".

Esthetician

Pros

Lovely clients, treatment room is well equiped.

Cons

I have to work every weekend, the store manager is too young and power hungry, likes to breathe down the backs of employees.

A team of LIARS in the management level

Former Employee - Material Handler  in  Chambersburg, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Chambersburg, PA (US)

Pros

You can be treated like a SLAVE !! and be under paid !! they have NO rules / or regulations for everybody that is equal

Cons

You can get more money on welfare , hard workers / and good workers do NOT get better treatment !! its better to do as little as possible of WORK !!

The upper management ignores everybody !! the management does NOT want to make changes for the better ,, they PROVE they want a revolving door as their employees come and go ,, the upper management does NOT want to invest in good hard working employees

Unprofessional management and not enough pros to outweigh cons.

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

Pros

The Employee discount is nice and sometimes higher during the christmas season. You get to learn a lot about different brands of cosmetics. Prestige Consultants get a lot of gratis during trainings.

Cons

Very unprofessional management, no growth in the company, low pay, hours cut often, lots of drama. The tasks are methodical and can get boring very quickly. I knew girls who had worked there longer than I and were still making minimum wage. When I had my evaluation, I had a 20 cent raise for a year of hard work and dedication, which was a disappointment and eye opener about how the company and management feels about their dedicated employees.

Listen to what your employees have to say.

Unfair hours and lazy bosses.

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Sparks, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Sparks, NV (US)

Pros

Only pro is the discount.

Cons

Lazy bosses. Unfair hours. High turnover rate.

Teach your beauty advisors more about the store. Help them out if there's a long line, and also, give them more than 4-8 hours a week.

not a lot of money, but a lot of drama.

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor

Pros

Get to work a lot of hours. sometimes. Have been trained in multiple parts of the store. got a promotion within 6 months.

Cons

Lack of hours. Look bad to customers because not enough time for anyone int he store to get stuff done. Horrible management. Corporate does not seem to be much better. not enough par for the multiple positions being covered. inconsistent hours. shifts cut a lot. unprofessional management.

Figure out how to get enough hours so something actually gets done. put people on shipment who know where things go and work fast enough to get the stock out. Train people better, don't just throw them on the register and expect them to be okay. Take iniative to train the employees based on NPS scores - not just rubbing it in their face when there are bad review left. have a manager on the floor, not just in the back all day.

Fun to work. Poor hours no promotion offered

Current Employee - Lead Cashier  in  Orlando, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Cashier in Orlando, FL (US)

Pros

Fun to work with when you have a good team. Good dress code. Get to put on makeup everyday

Cons

NO HOURS BIGGEST PROBLEM
    they hire managers from outside the company
    You cant do makeup on people. There is usually one person on the floor consumed at the register.
    IT IS RETAIL dont expect to delve into cosmetics even if you are in prestige. Customers complain that they cant get help. The company is going to flop if they keep running like this

Give hours to the store. Shrink is high if we had more people on the floor it would compensate. Its ridiculous how big the store is and nothing can get done because two people run the store all day.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!