Ulta Beauty

Updated 19 November 2014
2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 61 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't have a very good work/life balance because I'm always at work (in 23 reviews)

• Upper management is not always aware of activities that go on in the store (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Rude coworkers and management

Former Employee - Hair Designer I in Murfreesboro, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Hair Designer I in Murfreesboro, TN (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good selection of products p, lots of opportunities to grow business

Cons

The people working there were very stuck up and rude. Could not stand to be around them. Literally.

Management was horrible and rude.

Very clique. NO leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time

Pros

Gratis, Salon discount. Knowledge of beauty information (makeup techniques, ect...)

Cons

No leadership, vey clique. one of the few worst managers I've ever had! The managers simply do not do anything. They sit in the office & break room playing & gossiping with associates and/or vendors vs managing the floor & helping guests. Not focused on customer service. Favoritism with select associates & vendors. The ones they do not care about, they are simply rude to. There was no training. They simply put forms & videos in front of you& that is it. Company seems not to care about training, morale and the guest.

Upper Management(DM & above) should visit store more often to see what is going on. They should talk with associates & vendors ( it is surprising what a 8 hr/week a vendor observes on leadership & how the store is not managed) not only the store manager. 1. To get to know them & make them feel valued 2. To see how they feel the store is lead.

This is the most stressful job I've ever had.

Current Employee - Prestige Consultant in Flowood, MS (US)
    Current Employee - Prestige Consultant in Flowood, MS (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love my coworkers, the discounts, and the fact that I do get to come to work with out of the norm hair and makeup on a daily basis. I really enjoy sharing my love and knowledge of makeup with guests and doing makeup applications. It's also neat learning about the newest products months before they even come out.

Cons

The pay is ridiculously low for all the work that is expected to be done by one associate. Always understaffed. Management talks down to associates and always places all blame on associates. GM is hardly ever in the store, and when she is, she's locked in the office all day.

Be present and proactive and LISTEN to your associates!

Do the job of 5 people. PS it's still not good enough.

Current Employee - Prestige Manager
    Current Employee - Prestige Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you love the beauty industry, there is nothing like working in a store with multiple lines. Really fun.

Cons

Ulta spends no money on payroll. As a result, you are expected to do the job of 5 people. The stress is never ending and NOTHING is ever good enough. The customers are valued far more than the employees.

Consider keeping your employees happy by giving them enough payroll to adequately staff the store so that your employees aren't overwhelmed and stressed out. Happy employees are productive employees.

AWFUL

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like my coworkers and the employee discount is generous. Sometimes you get free stuff for doing events or attending special training so a nice bonus.

Cons

General manager is very unapproachable due to her defensive nature. She speaks very sharply (even to customers) and her comments can be a little uncalled for, sometimes emotionally abusive. She is also notorious for gossiping about employees. Not a healthy work environment.

A lot of focus is put on guest surveys and giving the guests the best experience possible but we are consistently short staffed and only have one person working the sales floor when there are multiple customers in the store. When we do poorly on surveys, floor employees are blamed even though it is management who makes the schedules.

I understand the nature of this job is retail, but hours are way too off and on for anyone to sustain any kind of work/life balance. Or pay their bills.

Treat your employees with respect and make them feel like they are somewhat dignified instead of treating them like they are disposable. Quit micromanaging. Offer praise once in a while when employees are doing a good job instead of tearing them down with every mistake that they make.

Salon Manager

Current Employee - Salon Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Salon Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Wonderful place to work. Company really cares about their employees. Worked for Regis before........No stArs for them but 10 stars for Ulta.

Cons

Really I cant see anything .

My company is awesome

Love the company and the benefits.

Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job stability and salary is comfortable.

Cons

Work and home life balance can be difficult at times. Company doesn't fund enough payroll to complete the expectations for customer service and operations.

Listen to your people that are at store level and don't make your store employees work on holidays that corporate takes off ( thanksgiving and easter.)

Great place to work, they treat their stylists very well & lots of incentives to move up in the company.

Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Cosmetologist in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good incentives & benefits to work up to, full stock of supplies for the salon even down to new blow dryers, awesome discount & holiday discounts, great beauty info and advice from trusted beauty experts and vendors, great training, above average management, access to hundreds of prestige & low end cosmetics & haircare.

Cons

Huge divide between cashier side and salon side, not an intimate salon setting, only redken color line used & limited selection in that, mass training that can sometimes be rushed and lazy, grumpy customers because it is retail after all, old machines (product scanners, computers, etc), not always high quality employees hired due to needing to fill positions, but hours are clocked down to a t and sometimes you'll work -10 hours a week.

Work on joining cashier side to salon side nationwide with possible store training combined, train managers better especially on hour/time management so the limited amount of hours given can be used more effectively, get more vendors/reps into stores--even the little ones because we love the outside education, work on getting outside companies to send samples/run promotions where we can use their products especially for the salon-- it really helps sell their products!

Beauty Advisor/Prestige

Current Employee - Ulta Prestige Consultant in Carbondale, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Ulta Prestige Consultant in Carbondale, IL (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time (more than an year)

Pros

GRATIS! You get a lot of free product when you achieve sales goals throughout the store. For example, sale 5 Too Faced products and receive a free too faced product (predetermined). Or signing up the most guest for the company's rewards card. If your are a prestige advisor, you go through training of prestige brand cosmetics (bare minerals, urban decay, smash box, lorac,ect.) you receive gratis for each product you receive training for, mind you it's 2 hours of training so that's pretty awesome! If you work hard to meet/ exceed store goals you will rewarded with the opportunity of more hours and trust me, you're gonna need it (more on this in 'cons' section). The costumers can completely make your shifts! Seriously, I was wearing a lipgloss from Smashbox and a mother and daughter came in looking for nude lipgloss. The daughter was helping her mom look for some "conservative" nudes, long story short she was so in love with the gloss I was wearing so I encouraged her to try it on her self. She LOVED it! She didn't want to take it off! She couldn't stop looking at herself, and she began to cry, yes cry. She told me in Spanish that I would always be the girl who put color in her life! Imagine that! That make my week, no YEAR. Frequent guest will know your name/ love your makeup and always want your advice. The discount is pretty awesome. 25% off, clearance included! 50% salon services, 75% if you work the flagship store. During employee appreciation period (usually during November) you get 40% all your purchases!! Crazy right! If you're a makeup junkie this place is going to be the death of you. There will even be times when certain items go on sale just for employees. We can now use the reward card system, this just started in Feb. Depending on certain stores, the management can be super cool, friendly, laid back but hard working. Somewhat flexible schedule if you're part time.

Cons

Very tight payroll. Each store has monthly sales goal, if a store does not meet it's monthly goals, this will result in a shortage in hours and I mean SHORT. If you're ULTA is in a rural or college town, expect business to be slow at times which will mean a drought of hours. Full time employee automatically get 40 hours so anything that's left is divided up amongst remaining employees (this is when working hard to help to meet goals come in handy) which could mean as little as 2-4 hours a week! Management has hidden agendas. Rather to hire the right person for the job, they will hire their friend. Stores can be severely understaffed so the workload can become over whelming. Minimum wage; you will receive a small raise if you are given a good evaluation

Associate Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Love the company. Awesome place to work.

Cons

I have not experienced any.