Ulta Beauty

Confused management

Current Employee - Prestige Consultant
    Current Employee - Prestige Consultant

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Great store always somthing to do

Cons

Cut hours all the time

Get it together

Ever-changing

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

there is good company structure and the company is growing at a fast pace. They have a wide range of positions available

Cons

Upper management doesent understand operations from ground up.They shoukd consider paying hourly employees a hight starting wage.

Promote from within

Fun

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

The Pros of Ulta Beauty was that that it was a wonderland of beauty and always something new was going on.

Cons

I felt in some ways that the manager was setting me up for failure. I was the Associate Manager of Operations and I only over saw shipment twice in 45 days.

Instead of waiting till the end of probation and knowing that the person you hired wasn't in a lead management position try to be more approachable and leading the person you chose for the job.

Huge room to grow if only you can tolerate soul less district management.

Current Employee - Associate Manager
    Current Employee - Associate Manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My staff and direct boss are like second family and we are tight knit. Ulta has given me clear room for growth and shown me steps to that advancement. I am always learning new things and felt like my GM really took me under her wing and gave me great knowledge on how Ulta operates and how to keep a store running and successful.

Cons

In my 2 years with Ulta I have yet to work under a district manager that I believed truly believed in our store (which has the highest NPS in the district and have been in the top lists for our region on a few occasions). I understand when you have a district to run that there are standards that the stores must meet and expectations to be met, but it says something about Ulta as a company when nothing (even when 100% up to standards that were asked on previous occasions) can be pleasing to corporate. A successful district manager should be coaching and rallying his/her teams and "winning together". They shouldn't be beating down their staff to tears after a regular visit (not just my store, but every store in the district). Mary Dillon has really making positive changes for the company and is doing great things for Ulta, and maybe its time for some positivity to make its way down the line of command. You don't succeed with a crappy attitude.

As someone in management at a store level to my upper management, treat us with the respect we give to you. We are people too, if you want something done, ask. And when its done, acknowledge it. Don't get me wrong, the $300 we have received in store gift cards in the past fiscal year was nice, but honestly, most of us would prefer just a pat on the back and genuine face to face recognition for the early mornings, late nights, and 11 hour days we have put in trying to please corporate.

Ulta Employment

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

The pay was ok but there was no existing clientele, so I had to show and prove myself.

Cons

They didn't advertise the spa, so I had to promote myself. No cancellation policy for clients that no call no show you.. You are doing makeup as well as the prestige department, so it's kind of like in house competition. 30.00 full face at the spa and 50.00 makeup purchase in prestige.

Not worth the trouble

Former Employee - Hairstylist
    Former Employee - Hairstylist

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great discount at christmas, fast paced job most of the time

Cons

Dress code is unrealistic, no training for hairstylists, discrimination of religion, no hours (5 a week)

Train staff

Enjoyed my time!

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Saint Paul, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Saint Paul, MN (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management was really great to work with, so helpful and made work all around fun. If you did something exceptional you would get pick something from the gratis box (filled with makeup, bath, and skincare goodies) so that was good incentive to work hard!

Cons

Varied schedules, early mornings (shipment) and late nights (holiday hours), sometimes it would be so busy you wouldn't be able to take any breaks.

Good place

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Industry, work life balance really nice place to work at if you like hair and makeup and want to be in that industry

Cons

Shifts and upper management doesn't visit as often as they should. Thy cut shifts a lot also if the store numbers aren't doing well.

Pay attention

Great company but

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Great gratis, learn a lot.

Cons

If in management, you don't get paid a fraction of what you deserve for what you deal with.

Be a team, help your employees.

Good for your first Esthetician job

Current Employee - Esthetician in Ann Arbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Esthetician in Ann Arbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Steady hours
    Great gratis
    Sick days
    Vacation
    Training

Cons

Poor Weak pay
    No mentor for skin care therapist

Once GM changed the store got much better.