Ulta Beauty Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
2.7

Ulta Beauty CEO Mary Dillon
Mary Dillon

Pros
  • The employee discount is probably one of the best perks of this position (in 51 reviews)

• Great employee discount on product as well as salon services (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is way out of touch with how the store actually functions (in 43 reviews)

• You will be part-time indefinitely, and NEED to have another source of income (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Horrible Management

Former Employee - Skin Therapist
    Former Employee - Skin Therapist

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free Salon Services (If you work in the Salon)
    Product Discounts
    Learn about many different products and brands

Cons

Management has no idea what they're doing
    Hour cuts
    No room for growth
    No training for Skin Therapists
    Skin care room is a joke, not a full room, no door, NO WAXING

Don't hire for full time if you're only going to work us 10-20hrs per week

Cashier/tasker

Current Employee - Part-Time Cashier  in  El Paso, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Part-Time Cashier in El Paso, TX (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty part-time for more than a year

Pros

Managers give you a flexible work schedule to accommodate with school etc. You get a 25% discount in the store and 50% at the salon. The tasks given to you are simple job-entry type. You get to have a first look at new products on the market.

Cons

They start you at a quarter above minimum wage. They give you minuscule yearly raises. They hardly have any hours to give to part time employees. If you are not in prestige, you do not get any proper training on makeup so you are basically useless to customers questions.

Growing along with a growing company

Current Employee - Prestige Manager  in  Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Prestige Manager in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been the Prestige Manager at my local store for 3 years now and I LOVE it! Great vendor support and guests that come in looking for me are a constant plus. I love learning about the new products and the seasonal launches constantly give you something to look forward to. The events are so much fun! I keep a running list of clients who like certain products so the planning is not hard but the actual events are the best! Gratis is fun and the discount is great-especially the additional discount we get during the holidays! Our General Manager lets me run my department and trusts my decisions, but is always there for support if I need her input. My hourly + my bonus is great (I had 30 years in the beauty/retail field) and the benefits once I went full time (after my store exceeded its goal and warranted more hours) are AMAZING! Great company-I could advance if I wanted to relocate-but I am totally content doing what I do!

Cons

Some of the biggest challenges are the part-time employees (almost all college students) who don't have any work ethic. The spend more time grumbling about doing a task , than it would take to do it. They think they should get paid to just show up, and don't understand the concept of cleaning, stocking or any number of the things that make up a job in retail. And forget about trying to get them to approach a guest or suggest any additional products or trying to "upsell". They think they want to work in a "makeup store" until they discover that we actually expect them to work and not just play in the makeup.

One of my biggest concerns is the amount of external theft that goes on in a single day. When you only have enough allotted hours to schedule two employees to work a shift, that just doesn't leave anyone to do LP. I would suggest that you give great thought to locking up the fragrance behind plexi and some of the higher shrink items like the Naked palettes.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Educational

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Learned customer service and products foe the industry

Cons

Holiday time was somewhat stressful

Absolutely Horrendous

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vendor Gratis.....other than that, nothing.

Cons

Break EEOC regulations, Labor Regulations, fire people for no legitimate reason and HR is uneducated and resolve nothing.

Teach your GMs to actually manage and not to do your job. Hire people without felonies

Dissatisfying

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty part-time for less than a year

Pros

Employee discount, free salon services upon hire, free coupons

Cons

Poor training, snobby attitude from management, overwork you

Train your employees better, practice what you preach. Follow your core values. Give wow experiences to employed as well, win together, do what's right most of all! Treat everyone with respect and dignity!

Extremely high expectations, low resources to be successful. Huge discrepancy, makes it hard to succeed.

Former Employee - Associate Manager  in  Madison, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Madison, WI (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The occasional gratis (aka free products for brand training).

Cons

Little to no payroll. Just enough hours for your management team to be cashiers and run a sales floor and complete numerous other tasks, while trying to provide outstanding customer service.
    Lack of training/development to ensure you are successful.
    Most store managers are extremely lazy and expect their teams to run their stores.
    Compensation could definitely be better, they tempt you with a chance to bonus (it rarely happens).
    Never received a raise.
    As a manager you are held responsible for a lot (to run a store), however, you are not given the time or proper training to be successful.

As a company, there should be a focus on developing associates and payroll to support the values of customer service that it preaches. It's impossible to deliver the level of service that Ulta strives to provide while not giving the stores the resources it needs in order to be successful (payroll and training in particular). Also, they should really look at hiring people who are the right fit...not just anyone who applies. Unfortunately there are a lot of people in the company who are selfish and don't care about their associates and treat people like crap!

Back stabbing experience!

Former Employee - Prestige Lead  in  Royal Oak, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Prestige Lead in Royal Oak, MI (US)

I worked at Ulta Beauty full-time for more than a year

Pros

I loved working with the product lines and representing the brand. I truly believed in and loved the products I was selling (Clinique).

Cons

Back stabbing and fake management. Everyone talked about each other behind their backs. It was a total joke!

Follow your core values and be professional.... Sitting in the back office and not working really shows your lack of caring and ability.

Associate manager

I have been working at Ulta Beauty

Pros

The only pro is the "gratis" you receive from some of the vendors but doesn't make up for all the cons. 401k, vacation and health insurance
    50% off salon services

Cons

I've been in management for over 15 years and this by far is the worst training program I've ever seen. This company doesn't invest in their employees and doesn't give their stores the payroll they need to keep customers happy. Minimal pay, low payroll, the employee discount is only 25%, the DM loves to threaten to write the entire store team up. No weekends off, work life balance is the worst I've ever seen in any company. If you have a family RUN! They stayed open 24 hours straight on Thanksgiving, didn't close Easter Sunday when no one else in our center were open. The GM's are over worked, the stores are under staffed they set you up to fail by making it almost impossible to provide great customer service.

Increase your payroll hours
    Invest in a great training program, will be worth it in the long run.
    Implement a work/life balance program

Worst company to work for!

I worked at Ulta Beauty

Pros

Meet some pretty interesting people and make some friends If your lucky.

Cons

Management sucks everyone is fake!
    Don't get paid enough to do half of the stuff your asked to do.
    So much turn over.
    This place is a shame.
    Employees don't even know what there doing half the time.
    No help ever!

Management is the worst I was totally shocked by the back stabbing and fakery going on. Turn over is happening because of Management not the employees. When the big dogs come in management puts on a front acting as if they care about employees. It's all a hoax. They gloat about how well there doing and putting employees to the side it's wrong and there is no appreciation for employees. Absolutely shocked by how terrible the management is.

Worked for Ulta Beauty? Contribute to the Community!