Unilever PLC

www.unilever.com

Unilever PLC Reviews

Updated Jul 07, 2014
Unilever PLC – “Factory Italy”

Unilever PLC CEO and Director Paul Polman

Paul Polman

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of opportunities to progress; good training programmes; ambitious but friendly colleagues; good atmosphere; decent salary and lots of Unilever freebies!

ConsFlexible working arrangements not possible in my role (but may have been elsewhere).

Great Place

Account Manager (Current Employee) Leeds, England

Prospeople are very nice to work with. You get to travel the world and see all parts of the world on business

ConsLow pay, and opportunities for career development means leaving the country.

Used to be a great place to work 20 years ago! (less good now)

IT Manager (Former Employee) London, England

ProsChallenging and interesting projects; working with and learning from some great people.

ConsAs Unilever has gone increasingly global (from 2005 onwards) the strong emotional connection with employees at the individual level has been lost. It has become a tougher, more selfish world where everyone has to look out for themselves first. And if you work in IT, Unilever is no longer a great place to be, because of successive waves of outsourcing, offshoring, downsizing, etc. IT professionals are no longer as highly valued as before.

Advice to Senior ManagementI guess Unilever is no different to other big global corporations. Paul Polman has made a huge positive difference to the company, providing a new sense of ambition and energy and focus. But at the expense of the fewer individual employees who are left.... having to work ever harder.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unilever's biggest enemy is themselves

Supply Chain Director (Former Employee) London, England

ProsIntelligent people, multicultural teams, team-working ethic, business processes, brand strength, supply chain performance.

ConsInternal politics
    Average calibre, career minded people in senior positions
    Low salaries versus market
    Low recognition for long hours especially if travelling
    HR values numbers ahead of people

Advice to Senior ManagementZero tolerance to selfish political senior managers

Great Company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood development opportunities
    Friendly employees, can do attitude.
    Great benefits and training.

ConsCan be silo'd, if only Unilever knew what it knew!

Great place to work

Learning Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsHeadroom to follow up on new ideas, friendly atmosphere, truly global, very human generally, inspiring CSR mission that really matters (not just greenwashing), very varied, some roles offer good work-life balance, virtual working

ConsCan be a bit silo-mentality, need to do lots of stakeholder management which can slow things down a bit, pay is good but not best-in-class but the pros outweigh this IMHO

Good place to be if in the right part of the business

Prosgreat if you are in marketing or working on a brand.

Consall other non-core functions (finance, accounting, investments, benefits, etc) are essentially forgotten.

Review of Unilever plc July 2012

Assistant CMI Manager (Current Employee) London, England

ProsThe culture here is fantastic and its a great place to learn. Fantastic brands to work on and inspirational senior management.

Conscompared to other FMCG companies of this size and smaller renumeration is significantly below average. Opportunities are good but progression is often limited by internal politics / not enough roles coming up

Work is motivational most of the time and people great.

Pros-Great people, interesting work on a large and international scale.
    -Sustainability is really part of what we do in nearly all things.

Cons-In some areas of the business the org structure is very flat, so you cannot delegate or have the opportunity to manage teams. Its the matrix organisation at its best, so if you are a networker this is not really a contra indicator.
    -New people to the business may find it hard to intergrate, make sure you have a couple of 'buddies' to translate the acronyms and introduce the informal culture.
    -Bonus scheme for low and middle management a little disappointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more courageous with promotions.

Exciting, challenging, rewarding and fun.

Customer Account Manager (Current Employee)

ProsUnilever is a very large global company and as a result there are a plethora of opportunities both in the UK and abroad.

The Unilever culture is based around people. They understand stand that if they treat the employees right then they will get the success that they want.

ConsDue to the size of Unilever, you can sometimes find yourself lost in such a huge organization. when in the UK business it is sometimes hard to think of the business as global, however my next role in brand development may help to change this.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say that the higher levels should get more traction with the Unilever graduates. It is the Unilever Future Leaders Program and therefore i believe meeting higher management at the start would provide inspriation and support for the future.

Worked for Unilever PLC? Contribute to the Community!