Unilever

Updated 26 January 2015
3.6

Unilever CEO and Director Paul Polman
Paul Polman

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be excellent depending on which category you work on (in 69 reviews)

• Good working culture and Flexible working hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance, lack of opportunities to move up unless you relocate (in 57 reviews)

• decision-making can be complicated & slow since this is a matrix organisation (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

My time at Unilever was very positive; it helped me develop me the business insights, knowledge and skills I needed

Current Employee - Customer Development Director in Walton-on-Thames, England
    Current Employee - Customer Development Director in Walton-on-Thames, England

I have been working at Unilever full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best thing was the quality of the people and their willingness to work together to get things done. The reputation of the brands, the resilience of the business processes and systems, the structured approach to personal development - these gave me a lot of confidence and were a crucial reason why I spent many years there.

Cons

Perhaps the biggest challenge at Unilever is its own size which can have the effect of constraining entrepreneurialism and slowing things down. The hierarchical structure could be a disincentive and there wasn't enough sopping of roles and experiences which meant at times it could feel quite static.

Increased responsiveness and greater emphasis on an entrepreneurial mind-set will increase competitiveness. But don't lose the many great things that make Unilever such a good business to work for.

Purpose makes it all worthwhile

I have been working at Unilever (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong sense of purpose has been brought to the commercial focus which brings significant personal engagement to the employment experience.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic, complex and hierarchical because of rapid growth, globalisationa and heritage of strong personal relationships.

Great

Former Employee - Retail Supply Chain in Leatherhead, England
    Former Employee - Retail Supply Chain in Leatherhead, England

I worked at Unilever

Pros

Treat staff like equals. Respect and listen to staff. Give good bonuses. Allow flexibility in the working day, for example many staff work over-time; if you need a couple of hours to visit the dentist/take a longer lunch break to run errands, managers are ok with this.
    Gives staff personal responsibility/ownership of their workload.

Cons

Huge company - can be difficult to engage well with other teams. Progression routes are limited from non-management into management levels.
    High pressure, but comes hand in hand with staff being able to take personal ownership/responsibility for their work.

Open up more progression routes.
    Reduce work-time stress by supporting staff to decide what is critical and what is not.

Good global company

I have been working at Unilever

Pros

Good working environment, multi-cultural with relative freedom to operate and select the projects to work on. Work is usually recognised both as a team and as an individual.

Cons

Promotion do not happen that easy. Entry point is very important and defines the opportunities to work or to grow internally.

Absolutely loved working for Unilever

Former Employee - Marketing Director in London, England
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in London, England

I worked at Unilever full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- lots of great brands and categories to work in
    - a lot of responsibility
    - lovely people from all over the world
    - Sustainable Living Plan is very inspirational and gives meaning to work

Cons

- lower salaries, but good stock rewards and bonuses

Great culture, strong vision, real purpose

Current Employee - Marketing in London, England
    Current Employee - Marketing in London, England

I have been working at Unilever full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

a company with a soul beyond only getting business result, truly global and multicultural. huge opportunity for learning both on the job and via courses. very affiliative values.

Cons

complex operating framework, still some top assignment that do no seems to be based on performance culture

Apply same performance culture to every single employee, cut bureaucracy, continue to push sustainability and social mission. celebrate more !

Internship

I worked at Unilever

Pros

Great office culture, stimulating environment. Worked in Durban, South Africa and it is one of the better companies to get into.

Cons

Difficult BEE ratings and the normal challenges of a corporate structure.

Had great time and learned a lot

Former Employee - Manager In Business Services Organisation in Kingston upon Thames, England

I worked at Unilever full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has a real sense of mission around it business and it's environmental commitments. The people working for Unilever are high caliber and form a great team. You can build a great career within the business, touching lots of different areas. Many people have been around the business for a long time - which must count for something.

Cons

Senior management are much more demanding than the past, but often in a "don't care about you" kind of way - which is tough. Equally I'm not sure that the current senior management especially rates the people who have built their careers within Unilever - there's a sense that outsiders have more to offer.

Generally think you're going in the right direction, good luck.

I really enjoyed working for Unilever and learnt sooo much!

Former Employee - Clinical Scientist in Port Sunlight, England
    Former Employee - Clinical Scientist in Port Sunlight, England

I worked at Unilever as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company values and had a real community spirit to the place even though there were over a thousand people working there. I was given a lot of responsibility which provided excellent experience for my CV. My Manager was supportive and had great knowledge in the area I worked in. The team worked very well together.

Cons

Very difficult to get a permanent position there. My Manager pushed to make me permanent but there were a lot of redundancies happening at the time and it just wasn't possible. Which was a shame.

Great work life balance. Some office politics going on in the office but I just kept clear of it.

Lots of job losses to come in 2015 as Service Operation jobs to go to Poland or Germany to streamline business.

Current Employee - Service Operation Specialist in Leatherhead, England
    Current Employee - Service Operation Specialist in Leatherhead, England

I have been working at Unilever as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good working environment, interesting products,working with big retailers

Cons

Management lost interest in company
    Lack of training and development
    Poor systems, computer system so behind companies such a Nestle, P&G.
    People are now purchasing Aldi own brands as quality and money saving. Shopping habits have changed and Unilever have not moved with the times, poor marketing both Tv and in store, the own brands are getting much better and Unilever becomes too expensive in a difficult climate. The future for unilever looks bleak for 2015 in UK and more redundancies in supply chain service operations as the firm streamline operation to Poland or Germany.

Start treating this company and staff better the Unilever brothers will be so upset if they came back today and saw how badly you treat staff and use tempoary staff. A company that once was going places but management today are not good with staff management and let the company down and the Unilever brothers and today's shareholders. It's time Unileve chief executive looks into the structure of management within Leatherhead, too many lazy unskilled managers letting the staff company and brand down. Poor training and lack of development. Once I enjoyed coming to work and now I dread it daily as we are treated badly and blamed for management mistakes, scapegoat the staff so they keep their jobs.