Unilever Reviews

3.7
1,247 Reviews
Unilever CEO and Director Paul Polman
Paul Polman

Pros
  • Work-life balance can be excellent depending on which category you work on (in 69 reviews)

• Good working culture and Flexible working hours (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance, lack of opportunities to move up unless you relocate (in 57 reviews)

• decision-making can be complicated & slow since this is a matrix organisation (in 30 reviews)

1. engineer

I have been working at Unilever full-time

Pros

good working environemnt
    interesting topics
    work life balance

Cons

benefits and doesnt seem international

2. Risk Assessor

Former Employee - Risk Assessor in London, England
    Former Employee - Risk Assessor in London, England

I worked at Unilever

Pros

a lot of great people to work with

Cons

glass ceilings in place, too many cliques

Great company with well known brands but cost cutting going too far

Current Employee - Human Resources in London, England
    Current Employee - Human Resources in London, England

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great fast paced, culture. Delivering best practice in HR and always striving to do better. Good opportunities for personal development, engaging with loved brands, nice offices and agile working. Sustainable living plan is a model all business should be following.

Cons

Opportunities to move up are few and far between. Too much emphasis on graduates. If you come in as a mid career recruit any past experience you have is forgotten once through the door. As growth is slowing cost cutting is getting extensive, roles become bigger with no increase in salary and impact of this is being felt.

Advice to Management

Start delivering what you promise in the EVP, remember there is more to the world outside of Unilever and slow down on reducing numbers and making jobs bigger.

5. Great business, people focussed.

Current Employee - Category Manager in Leatherhead, England
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Leatherhead, England

I have been working at Unilever full-time

Pros

Improved performance focus over the last couple of years. Cross functional working and team development are high priorities. Great leadership and clarity of vision. Work life balance and flexible working are brilliant.

Cons

Fewer and fewer promotion opportunities. Middle management layers being removed and consolidated. Lack of opportunity to gain quality feedback and career planning.

Advice to Management

Bring employees more into the conversation around career planning and ensure the structure is there for employees to map out their next 1/2/3 moves so they have real ownership of their career.

6. very good blue chip company

Current Employee - R & D Scientist in Port Sunlight, England
    Current Employee - R & D Scientist in Port Sunlight, England

I have been working at Unilever

Pros

space to grow, good opportunities in a fast moving company. Generally a satble, secure job. Abvility to travel and work abroad

Cons

A very large corporate structure, sometimes being lost in a very big machine. Restructuring and changes being made on a ~ 2 year cycle. Numerous movements about the comnpany

7. Political.

I worked at Unilever

Pros

Good brand and flexible working.

Cons

Too many politics, not enough teamwork.

Advice to Management

Pay more

My time at Unilever was very positive; it helped me develop me the business insights, knowledge and skills I needed

Current Employee - Customer Development Director in Walton-on-Thames, England
    Current Employee - Customer Development Director in Walton-on-Thames, England

I have been working at Unilever full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The best thing was the quality of the people and their willingness to work together to get things done. The reputation of the brands, the resilience of the business processes and systems, the structured approach to personal development - these gave me a lot of confidence and were a crucial reason why I spent many years there.

Cons

Perhaps the biggest challenge at Unilever is its own size which can have the effect of constraining entrepreneurialism and slowing things down. The hierarchical structure could be a disincentive and there wasn't enough sopping of roles and experiences which meant at times it could feel quite static.

Advice to Management

Increased responsiveness and greater emphasis on an entrepreneurial mind-set will increase competitiveness. But don't lose the many great things that make Unilever such a good business to work for.

Poor pay, long hours...

Former Employee - Customer Development
    Former Employee - Customer Development

I worked at Unilever

Pros

Good company culture, very inclusive

Cons

Lowest pay versus competitors.
    No recognition unless you are a 'favourite'.
    Strong emphasis on short term opportunities which increases stress levels throughout the business.
    Long hours and poor work/life balance, you are expected to put in the extra hours with little to no acknowledgement.
    A lot of people become comfortable and do an 'ok' job, they are kept on purely so as not to offend.

Advice to Management

Series of staff cut-backs has led to a stressful working environment. Has also meant that opportunities for progression have severely been reduced.
    Need to address the bigger issue and stop focusing so much on the short-term.
    Very slow to react to the rest of the market and its competitors, this will set Unilever back in the next few years.

10. Purpose makes it all worthwhile

I have been working at Unilever (More than 8 years)

Pros

Strong sense of purpose has been brought to the commercial focus which brings significant personal engagement to the employment experience.

Cons

Can be bureaucratic, complex and hierarchical because of rapid growth, globalisationa and heritage of strong personal relationships.

Good opportunity, with good prospects

Former Employee - Global Sustainability Manager in London, England
    Former Employee - Global Sustainability Manager in London, England

I worked at Unilever full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall a good place to work with a diverse culture. you would expect from the size of this multinational

Cons

Can be a very political environment and people will stomp on you to get up, that's okay, just be prepared

Advice to Management

Be aware of what is going on around you. Don't put your head in the sand and stop leaving things to the last minute