Unilever

Unilever Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Unilever CEO and Director Paul Polman

Paul Polman

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is fair but seems to be getting worse each year"
    in 49 reviews
  • "flexible working hours, ability to work from home, good staff benefits"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance is a joke, and the ones to blame are analyst level employees"
    in 38 reviews
  • "decision-making can be complicated & slow since this is a matrix organisation"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

IT Management

IT Manager (Former Employee)
Port Sunlight, England

I worked at Unilever full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- Great attention to employees.
- Many development chances if you are flexible and seek opportunities.
- Global so opportunities to move around.

Cons- IT has been mostly outsourced so opportunities are less. Seek Architecture or Process types of jobs.
- Felt leadership was becoming too aggressive.
- Bigger jobs, bigger responsibilities, bigger nightmares...

Advice to Senior Management- Too much "ham effect" at manager and director levels.
- Lack of clarity and resources to achieve your goals.

Great learning and responsibilities but poor reward and career progression

Assistant Brand Manager (Current Employee)
London, England

I have been working at Unilever full-time for more than a year

ProsYou can drive complex projects and be exposed to great learning - being Unilever a sort of marketing academy with more than 100 years of best in class activities and products.

Before you realise it, you would massively grow your product, project and brand management expertise.

ConsThe company is extremely hierarchical, to the point that entry level managers will probably never be able to be exposed/interact/take decisions or simply talk to top managers.

The reward/salary is simply unacceptable for a company that aims at attracting and retaining top talents.

The career progression and development is deadly slow and unstructured, leaving room for uncertainties and unfairness that are totally neglected by both managers and HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote a more democratic and open culture within the company. Implement for real the so-called "performance culture".

Increase reward and incentives to younger/entry level employees - otherwise the leaders of tomorrow will be the submissive of today who accept the current conditions instead of pushing or leaving for something better.

Give more structure to the career progression system.

The people make it great

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unilever full-time for more than 10 years

ProsTalented people to work with, good opportunities to learn, international exposure. Great variety in work, every day is different.

ConsPoor work-life balance, too much work for the time available, evening and weekend working a fact for many. Long winded decision processes, slow or inadequate IT tools, only senior management levels get focus for career development. No opportunity to share learnings so everyone has to find their own way. Hard as mid career recruit to have previous experience recognised/ appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example on work-life balance, address the processes which slow things down. Recognise that reducing head count must mean some work should be discontinued and employees educated on how to do this.

Company to build a career with

I have been working at Unilever full-time for more than 10 years

ProsHuge width of categories and depth of geographies that you could work in. Fantastic brands. Great marketing and R&D capabilities.

ConsYou tend to look at the world through the company systems, which is bound to happen when you work at a large company for years

Good

Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee)

I worked at Unilever full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood for training, PRP and development

Conslots of red tape made redundant

Advice to Senior Managementkeep people informed

Great development opportunities

Warehouse Cell Engineer (Current Employee)
Leeds, England

I have been working at Unilever full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPeople, the benefits you can recieve (such as maternity leave, sickness, Bupa)

ConsSome times it does feel like big decisions are made high up which massively affect local sites and you are then just seen as a number, not a individual

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to all your people & make real educated decisions based on site knowledge

Brilliant, best place I have ever worked.

PROCUREMENT OFFICER (Current Employee)
Liverpool, England

I have been working at Unilever as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFriendly like minded people. Work hard play hard. Laugh a lot but get it done, and done well. Team players

ConsBig workload. Things take time. Not enough communication and interaction between different sites and departments. Very much work in silos. Why is everything on spreadsheets when web pages could be used?

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you say you will do. Embrace technology particularly in the office.

One the best companies I have ever worked for

Communication Specialist (Former Employee)
Bedford, England

I worked at Unilever full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEncouraging, professional, entrepreneurial, supportive, innovative,forward thinking

ConsToo often falling victim of the global blue chip company's need to re-structure

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep encouraging all levels of employee to achieve and take the best of what you've helped nourish to keep the company ahead of the game in people building. That's where your strength lies, that's why your company is and continues to be successful

Good, but not great

I have been working at Unilever full-time for more than 5 years

ProsInteresting brands and ambition, good flexible and agile working

ConsStill feels like jobs for the boys and who you know

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk with gender diversity and support female talent

24 years & still happy in my job

T 2 Operator (Current Employee)
Leeds, England

I have been working at Unilever full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood pension, Bupa , look after you , able to progress in your job lots of learning opportunities. Good management team. Several family members work here as well.

ConsSometimes communication between departments breaks down, can cause issues. Especially within the planning side of things. Lines can be down for days because someone forgot to order simple things like interleaves, glue etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more involved with what's going on down on the factory floor.go & talk to teams on the production lines.

Worked for Unilever? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Unilever reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Unilever CEO Paul Polman. All 604 reviews are posted anonymously by Unilever employees.