Unisys

Unisys Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Unisys Chairman and CEO Ed Coleman

Ed Coleman

Pros:
  • "Good work life balance, management supports innovation"
    in 41 reviews
  • "Flexible working Hours ( really flexible) can do Work from Home as well"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "communication from senior management on strategy"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Income arrangement is beyond belief; benefits are pretty bad; upper management company support is equal to zero"
    in 20 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Working hard to change.

Marketing Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unisys full-time for more than a year

ProsSince I joined 2 years ago, this company has transformed. New people with good ideas, more marketing spend and really delighted clients. Flexible around where you work and good salaries.

Cons"The Corporation" ie the US business wants to run the show and it takes quite a lot of pushing back to stop them dictating what happens in the rest of the world. I don't even mean strategically. They want to manage the tactics too.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower your regions! Stop spending the lions share of your marketing budget in the US and listen to what the regions want.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Challenging, aging employee population with lots of IP knowledge to share but little marketing investment.

Marketing Director (Current Employee)
Leeds, England

I have been working at Unisys full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMobility encouraged. And offices across the globe.
A lot of Technology know-how from most employees being technologists for decades in some cases (many employees have been with Unisys over 20 years)

ConsLack of marketing budget.
Some employees are set in their ways and find it difficult to embrace change.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in marketing and branding, it is not good to hear clients say they thought we folded years ago.

This was ok but not really great

Test Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unisys full-time for more than a year

ProsNo worry, just chill and work - no progress

ConsNo worry at all, you cant make any change

Advice to Senior ManagementGive some more money

this is a senior sales role with responsibility for certain set of clients.

Client Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unisys

ProsUnisys has a good image, opens doors at clients
re-use of international assets, especially from US is strong capability
freedom in organizing one's own job

Conssenior management focus too much on internal prganization
too many internal regulations making life very difficult to handle
too many old people, no instream of young people

Advice to Senior Managementnot only focus on using off-shore, develop a sufficient and healthy local, mix of young and older pool of staff
create a hip and cool image, a clear and effective organization
focus on the clients

To sum it up, it's not great.

Leicester, England

I have been working at Unisys

ProsEmployees come and go at whatever time they please, sickness policy in place but never used. Managers are a rare site as they always tend to be otherwise engaged, either on other accounts or due to personal reasons.

ConsVery poor management. Over one year of service, I've had SDMs. Policies such as sickness are not being followed. Staff always kept outside of the goings on and there is little or no possibility of individual growth in the form of certifications etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your faces more. Apply processes and procedure such as sickness policy more wouldn't go amiss as people will, and do, take advantage.

positive signs, but too little too late....?

I have been working at Unisys

Prosthere ARE still some good people within the company but they are dissatisfied and growing disenfranchised, the new CEO Ed does appear to be making better executive decisions and Q2 figures look better... but it will be hard to change the status quo and re-float the company.

Consover the last couple of years the company appears to have had an indiscriminate 'slash & burn' agenda which has demoralised and weakedn the company capability to the point of risking existing business let alone enaling new business.

Advice to Senior ManagementExec management should take the lead from Ed (new CEO) and focus on the main contributors to the problems rather than blanket bomb and include the successful parts

Break the Cycle

Human Resources (Former Employee)

I worked at Unisys

ProsGreat infrastructure of systems and centralised resources. You definitely notice it when you've moved on from Unisys to a new organisation. It goes without saying that on an individual level many of the people were great and I learned a lot from professionals who probably didn't realise that they were mentors or role models.

Conswhere to begin - hours, morale, poor leadership, having to go to work in the mornings with a fire extinguisher on your back because you never knew whwre the next one was going to break out. In fact, to illustrate the point, every time someone got yanked from what they were doing, or was 'stood up' for important meetings, the most most common reason given (like that made it all ok) was that they had been called to a 'fire drill' Pur-lease!

Advice to Senior Managementstop replacing mediocrity with overpaid new troops. Review the need for such top-heavy presence at the board. Continue stripping down the walls to the many silos that continue to thrive.

emotional intelligence missing in strive for bottom line supremacy

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unisys

ProsSome genuinely knowledgeable and good people who want to do a good job and deliver good service. The recognition at an immediate line manager level that my contribution is appreciated and that the performance feedback process is taken seriously - personal good luck rather than what's reflected more widely.

ConsPoor, disjointed leadership. Badly executed strategy. A lack of credibility with its workforce and in the market - also beginning to be reflected in parts of its client base. Lack of appreciation at the number of hours every individual is expected to work to get the job done - a 70/80 hour working week is not uncommon in most parts. An inability to distinguish between a lean workforce versus an emaciated one.

Advice to Senior ManagementPressing the accelerator pedal harder when the tank is almost empty is no guarantee that you will complete the journey. Sometimes you just need to stop and take stock of what it's doing to the engine.

Sleeping Giant or Comatose Dinosaur?

Program Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unisys

ProsCollaboration with skilled people, with a strong culture and work ethic.

ConsLack of vision and strategic leadership - a "sleeping giant" can only be in decline for so long and still hold out hopes of recovery.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop driving people towards "hand to mouth" behaviours - look beyond the current Quarter.

it is really hard work

Pre-Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Unisys

Prosit is really good working from home, and the people are very nice.

Conscompany does not seem to be making a profit, and as a salary increases have been delayed for 3 months, incompetence of certain senior managers, not enough competent staff.

Advice to Senior Managementi would suggest that investing in staff and training is really important. the policy of not having anyone on the bench means that often there is no resource available to sell to clients

Worked for Unisys? Contribute to the Community!

Unisys Videos

Unisys – Why Work for Us?

About Unisys Unisys is a worldwide information technology company. We provide a portfolio of IT services, software, and technology that solves critical problems for clients. We specialize in helping clients secure… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Unisys reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Unisys CEO Ed Coleman. All 580 reviews are posted anonymously by Unisys employees.