United Site Services

Updated 19 September 2014
Updated 19 September 2014
1.8

Ron Carapezzi

Great place work, learn and grow

Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Westborough, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Director of Marketing in Westborough, MA (US)

I worked at United Site Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The salary is very generous but you work for it, which is to be expected. All employees, including upper management and HR are very engaging. I highly recommend you consider USS for future employment. I've been in numerous positions over the course of my career and had by far the best employment experience while working for this company. The company has top notch leadership. The quality of the office setting is second to none.

Cons

Nothing really substantial worth noting. Any company you work for will always have cons but I can't recall anything I was dissatisfied with worth mentioning.

It's tough to give advice to management because they have done an outstanding job with the company. The only advice I have is to keep up the great work.

Forgetful, glad to have moved on...

Current Employee - Inside Sales in Westborough, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Inside Sales in Westborough, MA (US)

I have been working at United Site Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pros:
    Free pizza every other Friday
    Somewhat flexible hours in sales
    Hands off management (or uninterested, either way)
    Good base salary

Cons

Cons:
    HR is NOT friendly
    Porta-potties and trash containers
    Management is too hands off. My Manager had 9 direct reports that all sat in the same area, yet he was not involved. Did not help me through 1 sale/situation.
    Sales also does collections! Hahaha...
    Very poor communication between markets.
    Decisions on sales are made by Market Ops Mgt (really bad idea).
    Very poor inventory.
    Equally poor inventory systems.
    Also, if you give your 2 weeks notice, you'll be let go without pay.

Not a good opportunity. Take this job as a band-aid until you find a real opportunity.

Sooooooo boring!

After 5 years of service you get a United Site jean jacket. That's not how to attract and maintain talent.

It was not a good experience. I wasted a coupe of good earning years with this outfit.

Former Employee - Account Manager-Construction Sector
    Former Employee - Account Manager-Construction Sector

I worked at United Site Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have a good benefit package and none of their paychecks bounced...that's about it.

Cons

A lot of turnover. Very poor customer service is a service driven industry. The pump truck drivers while most are good employees, it only takes a couple to make life a living hell. Because of a lack of quality candidates for the position, they take anyone with a heartbeat that can string a few words together to form a complete sentence. Lower and middle management, the ones I dealt with were completely incompetent. I went thru five managers in my two years there. USS grows their business by acquiring all the local mom and pop shops, so the customers with a need for their services have no choice but to use them. Many, many headaches because of the lack of satisfactory customer service. Calls from construction project managers 6am thru 7pm dealing with complaints and irate customers. Made me want to put a bullet in my brain

Work with the customers, don't alienate them, price gauge them and then don't hold up your end of the service bargain. Otherwise, you'll have a short reign in the industry.

Overworked and Management is Awful

Former Employee - Finance in Westborough, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Finance in Westborough, MA (US)

I worked at United Site Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice offices, lower co-workers are very nice people, free pizza, free coffee, free soda. Benefits are good.

Cons

Management overworks you then uses it against you that you are not performing up to par. Management does not support workers even though they do their best to appear to. Co-workers are always working to cover themselves to stay out of trouble. Moral is not good amongst workers and causes underlying tension in the office. Sad because there are so many nice people. There is a definite mistrust going on between Management and their staff. You better put on a happy face and learn how to play politics to work here, or you will be out the door!

Get more in touch will your people and stop using your poor staffing levels against present workers. They work SUPER hard and it's clearly not appreciated. Management holds false faces just to get along. They act like monkey's, just so they don't get into trouble either.

This company buys company's only to devalue them.

Former Employee - Lead Service Driver in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Lead Service Driver in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at United Site Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you work for a company that is purchased by this giant, your first two years are going to be sweet! When the take over begins this group does everything to make you feel like all of your years of service and hard work means a lot. You will receive good benefits and lots of overtime.

Cons

Here comes the rub, as you work on this group will take away sick time personal days and bonus's. but the hardest thing to watch is the lack of attention that is given to those around
    You both co-workers and customer alike. You be locked in your pay rate and your benefits will cost you more yearly,up to 25% of your monthly pay.

Looking ahead you would be well severed to be more focused on mid-management control when left with the rains. People make a company strong, the team in place when the new company was purchased must have done a lot right because that's why they were bought.

Broken Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reliance, WY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reliance, WY (US)

I worked at United Site Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Two years of being employed and never found a pro

Cons

Management is never the same because of high turn over.50 hour work week with 70 hrs of work. Work over 50 they will adjust your time so 60 hr will be paid as 50. If you quit, safety award will not be paid out if you quit after the 365 days. The list goes on

Sell out

Blind side employees and they lie

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA (US)

I worked at United Site Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice office, free pizza once a month, decent pay and benefits

Cons

Way overworked and they don't care if you can get your job done. Not honest with employees performance then use it against you. Management is not supportive. They find ways to fire you. Complaints are never handled and you will be in a loosing battle trying to handle conflicts. If you are a 'yes' person you will surely do well here.

Management needs to be more in touch with their employees and understand the work load they expect to happen and support them, knowing it cannot all get done in a timely and efficient manor because the staffing is too low for the size of the company.

Slave Labor in the Year 2012 !

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westborough, MA (US)

I have been working at United Site Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free Company Coffee and a Lousy Paycheck !

Cons

Where do I start ?!
    1] Antiquated Technology
    2] Crummy Middle Management
    3] Lousy Corporate Communication

Try walking around your Sales/ Customer Service Departmnents more than once a Year !

Don't expect professionalism at a porta-potty company.

Current Employee - Customer Care Manager in San Jose, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Care Manager in San Jose, CA (US)

I have been working at United Site Services

Pros

I negotiated a good salary for myself. They had benefits, but they were minimal.

Cons

Senior management and executives lead through intimidation. These people will scream and cuss at you to get what they want. They will berate you and beat you down in public and they do NOT want you to disagree with them or show them a better way. Employees are hired based on friendships and fired based on grudges. I negotiated my salary and they held it over my head the entire time, telling me that I had to move closer to the office or they'd fire me. It was the most toxic environment I've ever worked in.

Put your customers and your employees first. Listen to them. Treat them with dignity and respect. Modernize your order entry, inventory, and routing systems. Stop the cussing and yelling and 'mafia' management style. Create an inclusive and empowering culture.

it's a job

I have been working at United Site Services

Pros

flexibility in my schedule/location where I work

Cons

no central government, each yard has their own rules

centralize