UnitedHealth Group

Updated Jul 21, 2014

2.8 1,808 reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley

Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some(in 230 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees(in 120 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less(in 78 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance(in 77 reviews)

1,808 Employee Reviews

good people! safe work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosyou work helping others around the world

Consmanagement is not good, they need more experienced management

Advice to Senior Managementdon't tell people you they are a disapointment to you

Get it right first and then go to market

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCentrally located with nice view from where the senior management sit

ConsBlame culture - no accountability for mickey mouse set-up
    Brazen and bullish management style
    Indecision
    Easily influenced by stroppy salesforce
    No account for relationship building
    No regard for talent
    Lack of engagement
    Arrogant in the market

Advice to Senior ManagementA lot of making up to do given the bad press and publicity - instead of bullying business get down to the level and earn the work - see and observe from the successful partnerships and supplier network. Must be sandy down there.

Great company in the US, lousy to work for outside of the US.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Maidenhead, England

ProsUnited is a good name to have on your CV but the lack of any real commitment to training and development for staff outside of the US is very evident. Generally most people are fairly friendly but there's no real company spirit as such - it's the kind of company where you know that most of your colleagues would rather be working somewhere else.

ConsUnited is first and foremost an American company. This manifests in the lack of any effort to retain and develop staff or managers outside of the States. Managers in the US are on average, not terribly world wise with the result that they tend to wade in and tell international staff what's what despite having little or no insight or experience themselves. The training and development is amongst the worst of any company I've worked for - this seems to stem from a Human Capital function that would be better described as a personnel function given that they have no clear strategy for development of human capital. The appraisal system is a complete lottery and can be abused by senior managers to punish staff with low / no pay rises even when it's clear they have performed. Lastly, whilst some managers are hard working, committed and capable, some appear to have been promoted largely on their ability to slate everyone else at every opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out what the culture / values of the company really should be and then work hard to align managers / behaviours to these.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An enormous Corporation with all the good and bad that you would expect.

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThere are a ton of possible career paths with UnitedHealth Group, something for everyone. You will find a great pool of experienced and professional leaders within every section of the company. The office settings tend to be easygoing but very busy. If you are interested in a leadership role be prepared to take on multiple projects with high quality demands, after all they are successful for a reason.

ConsCompensation is very poor especially when you look at the revenue that UHG generates. Oddly enough for a leader in the Health Insurance world the health coverage that they offer is very poor with huge deductibles especially for anyone in a leadership role. While the company "drinks its own cool-aid" and talks about it's new culture all of the time, it often feels like a white wash to cover over the ugly parts. Recently they have "off shored" a lot of positions that have resulted in lay offs.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere truly is no replacement for a good paycheck. Your company has grown, the stock is up and shareholders are happy but you need to open the purse a bit and give back to your employees.

UnitedHealth Group

Customer Service Advocate (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ (US)

ProsUnitedHealth Group is a great place to work. Management really cares about helping it's employees to succeed and excel. The benefits are great, training is constant,

ConsPolicies and procedures change sometimes on a daily basis.

This is the BEST company to work for! Great people, wonderful benefits, and insurance starts right away.

Senior Recovery Analyst (Current Employee) Franklin, TN (US)

ProsBenefits start right away, ample PTO time which also starts upon hire, discount for employee's, opportunity to grow, and the company includes all levels of employee's to let everyone know what is going on within the company. The pay is also excellent! Discounts include cell phone, travel, auto insurance, college, rental car, and many others. I have seen first hand at the opportunity to grow within the company in my short time there. The technology used within the company is top notch.

ConsA lot of changes, but with that said all companies change. Most of the time it is best for the company and helps the company to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management I deal with are great!

Fast Paced company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPlenty of challenges and opportunities in this fast paced company. Company is working to unify its culture. People are great to work with and many standards/processes are well defined.

ConsMany changes in healthcare due to government regulations. This sometime causes long hours and changing deadlines.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to lead in Healthcare Innovation. Continue to work on unifying the culture.

Its a wonderful experience working in UHG

Claims Associate Representative (Current Employee) Hyderābād (India)

ProsI like the Working Environment in the company

ConsPersonal growth, Company Values and Traning

Pros & Cons

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAs an employee you will be well paid but you must expect to work hard. Co-workers seem to build a supportive community.

ConsThere is no work-life balance. Plan on showing up early and staying late. Managers will lead by example of working until all hours of the night. Also, Sr. Management constantly reminds employees that if the company doesn't make their numbers on Wall St. , that layoffs will be necessary.

Potential, but short term outlook shadows long term

Network Account Manager (Current Employee) Elkridge, MD (US)

ProsLots of ways to show your talents to management, promotions occur

ConsLots of work, fit for the future is essentially trying to do more with less, computer systems are very out of date

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove middle management, work from the bottom up. This company relies on the bottom to make it work, the top needs to simply guide those.

Worked for UnitedHealth Group? Contribute to the Community!