UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,339 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 270 reviews)

• Good work life balance if you are in development rather than support projects (in 145 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 98 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 89 reviews)

More Highlights

good people! safe work

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

you work helping others around the world

Cons

management is not good, they need more experienced management

don't tell people you they are a disapointment to you

Get it right first and then go to market

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Centrally located with nice view from where the senior management sit

Cons

Blame culture - no accountability for mickey mouse set-up
    Brazen and bullish management style
    Indecision
    Easily influenced by stroppy salesforce
    No account for relationship building
    No regard for talent
    Lack of engagement
    Arrogant in the market

A lot of making up to do given the bad press and publicity - instead of bullying business get down to the level and earn the work - see and observe from the successful partnerships and supplier network. Must be sandy down there.

Great company in the US, lousy to work for outside of the US.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Maidenhead, England
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Maidenhead, England

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

United is a good name to have on your CV but the lack of any real commitment to training and development for staff outside of the US is very evident. Generally most people are fairly friendly but there's no real company spirit as such - it's the kind of company where you know that most of your colleagues would rather be working somewhere else.

Cons

United is first and foremost an American company. This manifests in the lack of any effort to retain and develop staff or managers outside of the States. Managers in the US are on average, not terribly world wise with the result that they tend to wade in and tell international staff what's what despite having little or no insight or experience themselves. The training and development is amongst the worst of any company I've worked for - this seems to stem from a Human Capital function that would be better described as a personnel function given that they have no clear strategy for development of human capital. The appraisal system is a complete lottery and can be abused by senior managers to punish staff with low / no pay rises even when it's clear they have performed. Lastly, whilst some managers are hard working, committed and capable, some appear to have been promoted largely on their ability to slate everyone else at every opportunity.

Figure out what the culture / values of the company really should be and then work hard to align managers / behaviours to these.

In chaos lies job security...if you can deal with it.

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Definitely the big kid on the block - which has pros and cons. Rapid growth through M&A in the last decade. Economies of scale are offset by integration challenges. Still - tons of opportunity here.

Cons

Benefits are awesome as long as you don't need them. Worst benefit package of any major matrix org I've been employed by. It's a slap in the face because their salaries are on the low side on top of it. Retention is a constant problem and it's not hard to understand why.

If you want good people to work their hearts out in this type of high-demand, high-stress environment - our compensation, benefits, and career development need to exist for real - not just in HR recruiting documents. There needs to be a much bigger carrot here. When the SEC filings are released every year and the world sees what UHG pays the CEO and upper management, they sucker-punch the rest of us who work harder than ever and in return are fed BS about how our division lost money. 1.8% annual pay increase isn't even covering the increases in benefits premiums we have to pay - and not touching the increases in out of pocket costs for those who aren't in perfect health. Walk the walk - that's my advice

Nice place to work if you can stomach the ethics

Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Minnetonka, MN (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I'm a bit torn on which way this review should go. I had a lot of positive of experiences at UnitedHealth and was offered a lot of opportunities including merit based promotions. In my division at least, we looked internally for talent and promoted within. Work life balance was respected quite a bit as well. There were definitely 60+ hour weeks, but to offset that, it was not an issue to run out in the middle of the day for a school event or what not. Pay and benefits were on the average to slightly above side of things for the Minneapolis area. I also worked with a very talented group of people which is not always the norm at previous companies.

Cons

My main issue with UnitedHealth was their willingness to use someone up until they're done and toss them out. As a manager/director I went through a couple rounds of layoffs which seemed to be a good way to get rid of the squeaky wheel, not necessarily dead weight. Towards the end of my tenure I became that squeaky wheel because of the unethical work I saw going on and it was obvious I was on the way out.

I am not sure I am qualified to offer much advice to a juggernaut that is rolling along in the market. I would just encourage them to not just talk about a positive culture, but make sure it's happening.

Top-down management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The huge pro is that the company has so many work-at-home employees. It's easy to overlook a lot of problems when there is no commute required. The people at United for the most part are good people, just wanting to do their jobs to the best of their ability and to take care of the members. Most of the people genuinely have their hearts in the right place. There are opportunities within the company, simply because it's so huge.

Cons

The company has changed so much in the last 5 years. It has gone to a much more top-down management style. The movement to nationalize every process has disrupted what was a smoothly running process and has created so much uncertainty and insecurity among the staff. The company has adopted an increasingly impersonal and unapproachable management style, going through meaningless displays of "communication" with employees, when everyone knows that to speak up is to be the next target. Yes, they want employee input--as long as that input is agreement with whatever already has been decided by upper management. Those who are ambitions can go far with UHG, but often promotions appear to be based on ability and willingness to play the game rather than on knowledge and ability.

You employ many highly educated and dedicated people, many of whom have good ideas about what will and will not work in local markets, but the current management approach squelches those ideas. Treat employees with respect; that currently is lacking. And don't think for a minute that we can't all see right through those smoke screens you present.

UHG is a great company but in my opinion, is getting to big.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

The people (coworkers) are pretty great once you get to know them. When you initially join the company or a new team, it can feel pretty cold and isolating. However, its a big company and you continually run into people throughout your career here. Time-off is good and management does take care of their employees when it comes to family and personal issues. Depending on the department, work-life balance is pretty good.

Cons

Finding a good to great manager to work for is really hard to find. I've had micro managers, managers that dont care how much you work and are told you need to work more; or managers that are very cold and heartless.

Employees are what makes this company what it it. Reward those who do well and go above and beyond. Even a simple email of thanks goes a long way.

Ok, If you're not the primary bread winner

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

Great co-workers, solid management, great work-life balance, good telecommuting and work from home policy. If you can get benefits from your spouse / partner and can handle not making the market salary, then it's a good place. Very good work-life balance and very accommodating for your personal needs.

Cons

Low pay scales, Poor Medical coverage - only United plans are available and only high-deductible plans. For anything not considered 'preventative', you have to pay 100% out of pocket until you reach your deductible. The lowest deductible option is around $2,000. This is the first place I've worked where I had to think twice before taking my kids to the doctor when they're sick. It's insulting that they don't discount their own services to their employees.

Take action on the employee surveys you run. Every year the feedback is that employees are not happy with the medical benefit, but the message we receive is that 'it's the future of health care'. Even if that's true, shouldn't employees get a break? Provide a non-high deductible plan at a discount to your employees and the word will go out that United takes care of their employees. Combining that with lower pay scales and you're going to lose your talent.

This company is very hospitable, and loaded with quality people, the fitness facility is fantastic, and I miss it.

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Awesome people! great working environment. The offices are modern, and loaded with amenities. Benefits are great, but good luck getting significant raises. Overall very satisfied with my experience there. A change in my family life forced me to leave.

Cons

There is some bureaucratic red tape that is hard to get around with and institution of over 170,000 employees. The recruitment software is a nightmare, forcing you to list your private financial information in order to apply.

Improve recruiting process to attract high talent

Great job at first until it wasn't

Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Great work/life balance and the salaries are good

Cons

Benefits are not that good especially health insurance. You need to work 12-14 hour days to keep up.

Although employee opinions are often solicited, management does not act on that feedback.

UnitedHealth Group Photos