UnitedHealth Group

2.9
2,047 Reviews

UnitedHealth Group President, CEO, and Director Steve Hemsley
Steve Hemsley

Pros
  • They allow some employees to work from home which is a nice benefit for some (in 260 reviews)

• This company does strive for work/life balance with it's employees (in 141 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be hard as people are increasingly asked to do more with less (in 94 reviews)

• This company also does not offer their employees good health insurance (in 83 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic place to work with great benefits and room for advancement.

Current Employee - Senior Business Process Analyst in Eau Claire, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Process Analyst in Eau Claire, WI (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, personal growth, professional growth, competitive wages

Cons

bonsues are few and far between

Continue to break down the silos between the different lines of business

It's always changing but somehow how it always stays the same

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Working for a company the size and scale of UHG anything is possible. You truly have the ability to move the healthcare market. It can be a lot of fun if you're in the right area with the right political skill and support.

Cons

The financial focus of UHG becomes a fixation that drives every decision that the organization does not pretend to hide. It comes through in minimal employee health benefits, compensation philosophy built purely on market competition (it's easier to get a raise off a competitive offer than merit, etc.). If you embrace that philosophy as an employee and invest in the stock you'll be OK, but being a number is not rewarding.

Spend time with your family. You only live once...

Good Company to work

Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Horsham, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Developer in Horsham, PA (US)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company to growth, good benefits, flex working schedule, allow telecommute for some days in a week. Many area of opportunities for approaching, growth.

Cons

Not a lot of training time, promotion is slow. Some Manager treat employer unfairly and caused employee leave the Company. Bad Health insurance benefit, high premium and overall cost.

Fair treatment to different culture employees. Make things happen fast.

Help me to have more experience supporting a Executives

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Wauwatosa, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Wauwatosa, WI (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most of the people in my department gave me reason to smile and want to help and/or assist them with daily issues. They always showed appreciation with email or peer awards.

Cons

I feel upper management needed some serious communication classes. Because their people skills leaved a lot to be desired. It was a do as I say, not as I do mentality. This is never good.

Please treat your employees the way you would want to be treated. And please remember, just because you have a higher level position, It doesn't give you the right to feel you are better. We all come from the same source, and we are all human beings!!

OK place to work, but you'll work a LOT

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group

Pros

Decent benefit compensation and opportunities to advance with the right manager

Cons

LIttle time to use paid time off, difficult to move up, must self-navigate the company

Good Place to Have a Luxurious Life. Cabs, Work From Home,Much Leaves. But a lot of upper Management Politics.No onsite

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice work life balance.
    Pay master- best in industry.
    Work from home.
    Cab facility.
    Employee friendly policies. No login hours.
    A lot of Extra curricular and Social Activities.
    Fun at work- Outings, Parties, Townhall meetings.
    Provides Laptop to all employees.
    34(7 CL, 7 SL, 20 PL) + (10 public) annual Leaves.
    Nice office infrastructure.
    Good place to sit and relax, no client fear.

Cons

Annual review and ratings are not done properly.
    Lot of Politics and favourism at upper level management which is present for more than 7+ years.
    Not much growth in Role after 1 promotion.
    Negligible or very very little scope for Onsite Opportunities in US that too after minumum 3-4 yrs of stay in company where 7+ yrs people are already waiting to start VISA process.
    Managers and Leads at upper level do not work. Only approve leaves and timesheets and ask for status, do not cooperate in work.
    Poor hike since past couple of years as compared to earlier.
    Salary revision only once in March.
    15% variable component in salary which gets paid only when you remain till Febraury.

Make employees at all level do some work.
    Provide growth opportunites and Internal movements more freely.
    Decrease the variable pay in salary.
    Make notice period and buyout options more flexible.
    Avoid favourism and dirty politics.

NAMM Hillside IL

Former Employee - CM/UM Nurse in Hillside, IL (US)
    Former Employee - CM/UM Nurse in Hillside, IL (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co workers and support staff. Smaller office allows for better working relations between departments. Autonomy for nurses is a plus and great way to learn more about the "economics" of healthcare.

Cons

I think this place was built on top of an ancient burial ground. Management at the c-suite level has no ideal about the work nurses and their support staffs are doing. Unable to keep quality people due to the attitude of the people in charge of this location. There was always an issue or crisis that kept people from doing their actual job. Poor training and no time allowed to actually correct system deficits or train people well. It just seemed like they preferred to fire someone quickly as a scape goat instead of looking at the root cause of the problem. NAMM has a reputation in the area and most nurses are aware of their many problems, so changing the name because they were bought out doesn't change the issues that plague them. I had really hoped that with the new name United would help stabilize the office, but that doesn't seem to be the case. So that keeps it just spinning their wheels and going no where. I really wanted to help make that office a success and to do good work, but it just isn't possible without a major overhaul of the leadership!

You need to really take a look at your C-Suite employes at the Hillside location. You will not attract the kinds of great people and nurses you need to accomplish you goals. Providers and nurses in Chicago area all know if your issues and how poorly Medical Management Department is ran. Until you allow people to really make some positive changes you will continue to loose large accounts. The software was very poor and claimed based, not at all effective for true quality and case management functions. You really just need to drop manager level and up and start over with experienced,quality, professional nurses that can rebuild this very broken office. I hope you really take my advise because I have wished someone could get the message to you somehow. Some real team building exercises need to be done to make the team strong and cohesive, it would pay for itself in larger accounts and profits.

Good company, but mediocre compensation

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time

Pros

The work-life balance is great, and managers are very good about letting you take time off when you need it. Company will contribute to your HSA if you pass your annual biometric screening. My managers were all great and supportive.

Cons

For a health insurance company, the insurance they offer their employees is laughable. You basically get 3 choices, all of which boil down to a high, higher, or highest deductible that must be met before any benefits kick in.
    Also, management turn-over and frequent restructuring makes it difficult to tell who does what.
    Glass ceiling makes it extremely difficult to advance.

Improve your insurance offerings if you want to retain employees.
    Stop the management churn.

getting an job

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Chennai (India)

I have been working at UnitedHealth Group full-time (less than an year)

Pros

am very much interested to work here

Cons

I will make accompany to grow to a extent

Good company but watch your back

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA (US)

I worked at UnitedHealth Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

United is very supportive of telecommuting which is great. The company pays well and has great benefits. They try to make the culture very inclusive although it's such a big organization, it's a bit difficult and sometimes falls short. They have streamlined many processes that makes things very easy. I think they really are trying to make it a great place to work.

Cons

If you don't work in one of the Minnesota HQ offices, you're definitely expendable. People outside of MN get dropped in a the blink of an eye. There's a good chance you'll be more loyal to them then they will be to you. Constant cutting of administrative support seems like a great cost-cutting idea but you end up having upper management spend time doing their own administrative work......that ends up being a much higher priced admin.

There are very talented people outside of Minnesota - use them.

UnitedHealth Group Photos