Universal Health Services

Be The First To
Add Photos

Universal Health Services Chairman, President, and CEO Alan B. Miller

Alan B. Miller

Good job that you can learn a lot from!

Chief Financial Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time

ProsThere is always advancement opportunities for those who have a good work ethic, a quick learner, being able to multi-task and always being a hands on person. Average pay but a good overall compensation plan after considering all the elements.

ConsThere is always an expectation for your hospital to have a certain % of growth each year no matter what. There will be a time where a cap will be reached because of a number of different reasons but it is understandable for a for-profit company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways try and keep your best employees happy by recognizing their hard work and actually rewarding them for it.

WONDERFUL EXPIRENCE

LMHT/Training Coordinator (Current Employee)
Denton, TX (US)

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat people working there. Striving to make each patients experience wonderful. Great team work as a whole .

ConsMore job opputunities in the facility

dead end job

I have been working at Universal Health Services

Prosthey hire great people, that's about it.

Consno chance of advancement, constantly changing policies. don't listen to direct care staff. constant turnover.

went from really good to bad

Appeals (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time for more than 8 years

Prosthe work was very enjoyable

Consthe employees are very unprofessional

Advice to Senior Managementthe ceo needs to know whats happening in the units

Great job !!!

Field Service Representative (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time for less than a year

ProsIt was a pleasure getting venders and their clients equipment needed to get patients on the road to recovery. It was a great feeling to see the patients and their families smile after you have brought them the latest technology for improvement.

ConsLong hours at times while on call and long mileage trips in all kinds of weather, but that's the price to pay when in the life saving business.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore facilities Statewide to have more adequate coverage to increase proficiency.

Used and Abused

Lead Counselor (Former Employee)
Nashville, TN (US)

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time for more than a year

ProsThere is lots of potential for overtime. Raises are predictable and consistent (for the most part), if low, however expect those who are being hired in to make more than you, even if you have been with the company for years.

ConsThe environment is toxic. You will suffer physical and mental abuse. Taking time off is nearly impossible if you are good at your job. If you excel you will be promised promotion and never given a raise until you finally quit. They remain understaffed on some of the most challenging shifts due to their insanely high turnaround. This results in situations that result in no one getting a break for 16 hour shifts. They are neither respectful nor appreciative of their employee's and the CEO and upper management are verbally abusive and use the individuals who work the hardest for them. The turnaround is caused by both this and constant firings when inevitable situations arise with residents due to tired staff and short staffed units. There is no job security here even though they cannot manage to keep people. I worked here for a year out of my two years here waiting on the promise of an interview and saw several others (particularly men) with less experience and more overall complaints promoted within weeks- while I was still holding a supervisory position. They acknowledge the fact that the environment is unbearable by attempting to make you sign a 'no lawsuit' agreement.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider showing more appreciation for your employees. Show respect for those under you. Do not cut the allowable amount of floor staff for the sake of profit. Focus on safety and not profit.

I stayed too long, should have pursued other avenues much sooner.

Department Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Universal Health Services full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFairly decent benefits and a consistent paycheck--that's about it.

ConsToxic work environment, poor management, little regard for employees. Constantly under review by state and federal regulatory agencies. Despite 10 different CEOs over a period of just four years at the Kansas City facility, UHS get can't seem to get it right. CMS has placed them on a ninety day decertification track more than once.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue UHS, either put some serious resources behind your Kansas City facility or close it. Your reputation in the behavioral health community is laughable.

Focus on profit margins over quality

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time

ProsCompetitive salary. The number of health care professionals (vs finance professionals) at the corporate office is growing, which is an attempt to redirect the focus of the company on the importance of population health management rather than solely hospital operations management.

ConsThe company is short-sighted on profits and willing to compromise care to achieve the needs of Wall Street. Corporate management has deferred to the expertise of physicians practicing within the hospitals, rather than an interdisciplinary approach to patient care, which is leading to significant profit wasting, conflict with the supporting staff and low employee morale. Values are merely listed on the employee brochure, but are not woven into the culture or expectations of employees. The HR focus is disproportionately in favor of recruitment rather than retention and employee development. Turnover amongst the C-suite executives at the hospitals as well as at the corporate office create much disruption to the success of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport quality care initiatives focused on improving health outcomes and the money will follow - we no longer live in 1975, and the business model should evolve accordingly.

very family friendly. good people to work with

Outpatient Hospital Medical Coder (Current Employee)
Corona, CA (US)

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time for more than 10 years

Prosvery family friendly, good management to work for

Consmy experience in medical records has been good. I still work there and still refer people

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Fair Job

I have been working at Universal Health Services full-time for more than a year

ProsFair Job with good pay

Consdo not know any right now

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Worked for Universal Health Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Universal Health Services reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Universal Health Services CEO Alan B. Miller. All 43 reviews are posted anonymously by Universal Health Services employees.