University of Glasgow Reviews

3.5
CEO

1. University of Glasgow Research 'Associate

Current Employee - Research Associate in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly working atmosphere
    Regular working hours
    Glasgow is an inexpesive city to live in

Cons

Standard Post-Doc Salary
    Lots of people are lacklustern and demotivated

2. Glasgow University PostDoc

Current Employee - Research Associate in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice, productive atmosphere. Strong scientific impacts in a lot of different groups.

Cons

Some people get too relaxed and passive, not driving research effectively on their own.

Deeply dissatisfied

Former Employee - Senior Lecturer/Senior Clinician in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Employee - Senior Lecturer/Senior Clinician in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at University of Glasgow part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

• The location is great, particularly for anyone who likes the great outdoors, and there is a lot going on in the city.
    • Many postgraduate students seem to enjoy the environment and the experience.

Cons

• I was employed at Senior Lecturer (SL) level for 6 years, in a role which combined being an academic and a clinician. During this time my experience was that the University (as an employer) was very happy to take (your time, your effort, your dedication) but very slow to give anything back, including any support.
    • In some Schools, including the one where I was employed, the criteria for individual advancement clash with what senior management will actually want - and expect - you to do in order to maximise financial gain and other markers of 'success' for the organisation. What is best for you as an individual is not given priority. Despite putting enormous amounts of time and effort into my work, regularly exceeding my basic working hours by 100% and more, and consistently exceeding annual targets none of this helped with career progression when it came down to it. In fact, those who progress are the ones who work out how to play the political game, and those who are sufficiently selfish to prioritise themselves at the expense of others. They then become managers, perpetuating the cycle of weak management.
    • In my opinion, there is a deeply, and worryingly misogynistic attitude ingrained in many of the more senior staff members of the University. This allows an insidious culture of bullying which the University seems to be making little effort to recognise, let alone tackle. The level of support shown to staff at middle and senior levels in particular is not good, and the environment can be hostile at times.

Advice to Management

Until you start to support, invest and believe in your staff, you will continue to lose valuable individuals from relatively senior positions. This only weakens the University in the long term.
    In my opinion, ignoring/tolerating the undercurrent of misogyny and bullying is not a good strategy.

5. Telephone fundraiser job with the University alumni office. Good pay, treated with respect

Current Employee - Student Caller Fundraising Team in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Student Caller Fundraising Team in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at University of Glasgow part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You're treated with respect and the pay is generally higher than you would expect if doing a similar job out with the university. There is extensive training and flexibility with shifts.

Cons

There's not much room to move up in the role.
    The job can be monotonous after a while and you can be met with a lot of animosity from the alumni when speaking with them.

6. Had a blast and enjoyed my work

Current Employee - Digital Intern in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Digital Intern in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at University of Glasgow part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The team was very supportive, I learnt a lot of new things but most importantly I got to develop my network. It also gave me an opportunity to add something extra to my CV which I am very happy about as I am still a student.

Cons

Sometimes it was hard to know what to do, and felt like perhaps I wasn't doing enough.
    Due to communication issues cross-teams we had our website moved without prior notice which cause a bit of a fuss.

Advice to Management

Have better communication between levels. Due to that we had several issues with out website being moved. Have team meeting on a regular basis, not as an optional thing.

7. Diverse, cultural and family friendly!

Current Employee - Senior University Teacher in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Senior University Teacher in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've experienced great leadership at College and School level. As someone with a new young family, I feel very supported and accommodated.

Cons

It is a large institution which has its own challenges however senior management and leadership structures within the Colleges and Schools appear to work hard to minimise these.

Advice to Management

Continue to support those employees who require flexibility around working arrangements while their families are young. When decisions are made that affect staff be sure to communicate the outcome in a timely fashion.

8. Senior management can hamper progress rather than nurture it, this of course is strictly confined to the individual.

Former Intern - Research Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Former Intern - Research Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I worked at University of Glasgow as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

An ancient, well-known, well funded research university, Glasgow will provide you with a lot of further opportunities, both within and outside it.
    The at the lower levels (other research assistants and PhD students) are really great. They go out of their way to help you develop.

Cons

If you work with a bad manager (supervisor) it can be difficult to get the core of your work done.
    The pay isn't optimal, especially when the requirements aren't clear.

Advice to Management

There needs to be better organisation, transparency and collaboration. And I don't mean this in the cliche way! Politics, jealousy and secrecy get in the way of doing good research. The number of publications you have should be irrelevant.

Renowned British University with archaic and incompetent HR department

Current Contractor - Postdoctoral Fellow in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Contractor - Postdoctoral Fellow in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at University of Glasgow as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I am an American biomedical engineering PhD who was conducting my postdoctoral fellowship at the University. The quality of some of the research being done at this University is remarkable. The campus is absolutely gorgeous with its beautiful Gothic architecture. State of the art facilities for several engineering and biotech research areas.

Cons

The HR department screwed up my Visa paperwork such that my work Visa expired 1.5 months before my job actually ended. This made my life with the Border Agency a huge nightmare. Once I arrived, I waited nearly a month to get my key card credentials which I needed to actually be able to start working properly. It seemed like there was a lot of backhanded rivalry amongst PIs in the departments. I was not able to conduct the studies that I had planned to do due to bickering and fighting amongst grad students and post docs regarding who had seniority to acquire certain cells.

Advice to Management

It's difficult to make recommendations to management within university settings as it almost always seems like the people "calling the shots" are behind the curtain, like the Wizard of Oz. Certainly, though, the HR department could communicate much better than they do, hopefully preventing colossal screw-ups like my Visa situation in the future.

10. Intern: Educational and fun summer projects

I worked at University of Glasgow

Pros

Good work/life balance, very challenging work, great colleagues.

Cons

Very small salary for summer students.

Wonderful location

Current Employee - Senior Library Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland
    Current Employee - Senior Library Assistant in Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at University of Glasgow full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The area, flexi-leave (when it's not an issue!!), good work-life balance.

Cons

Some departments reluctant to implement flexi-leave while others openly flaunt it and book theirs well ahead! The poor wage rises!

Advice to Management

Better wage increases!

University of Glasgow Photos