www.leeds.ac.uk

Updated 14 October 2014
3.7

University of Leeds Vice Chancellor Michael Arthur
Michael Arthur

The overall experience was satisfactory and pleasant.

Former Employee - Sub Warden in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Sub Warden in Leeds, England

I worked at University of Leeds part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The experience gained here is invaluable. Every minute detail would be a great insight. The team work would inhibit quite a lot of new talents and there is much more that can be learnt .

Cons

The timings of the work might not be always according to ones requirement.

Russell Group underachiever

I have been working at University of Leeds full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The university, like many towards the better end in the UK, still has some obvious strengths. Academics have space to conduct research, students are pretty high quality and academic colleagues are very supportive. Many academics are driven to produce high quality research.

Cons

Management is very poor. In recent years it has become focused around an egotistical VC (now left) and a mangement cadre of Deans that slap themselves on the back, pay themselves high wages and cut down dialogue. They have expanded the admin function hugely across the university and then imposed these costs back on to academics to pay for. Ideally this should provide support for the core mission of the university, but admin nows rules the place and academics are constrained to support this rather than the other way around, with endless chains of paperwork, targets and internal budegts.

Remember that this is a university, not some second rate civil service department. Get the Deans to support their academic staff. Have a more visible and understanding VC.

Opportunity to pursue own interests

Current Employee - Lecturer in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Lecturer in Leeds, England

I have been working at University of Leeds part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

What I really love about working at the University of Leeds is that I am free to pursue my own interests within the framework of our strategy. So long as what I do fulfils the objectives, I am able to carve out my own route, which means I am always enthusiastic and motivated about what I am doing.
    I also like the opportunity to interact with people outside of my own Faculty across the whole organisation, and have the pleasure of working with some truly amazing and inspiring people.
    There are also great opportunities for personal development and a very positive and inclusive culture.

Cons

The only drawback is that I can be a victim of my own enthusiasm and that no-one will ever tell you not to do things. You need to be able to balance your own workload and priorities effectively here.

Continue to give people the opportunity to grow and pursue their interests. It makes them more engaged and passionate about their work.

Ambitious interdisciplinary research

Former Employee - Bioinformatics Research Assistant in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Bioinformatics Research Assistant in Leeds, England

I worked at University of Leeds full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A great working environment with supportive management and lots of opportunities to be involved in interdisciplinary research of a really high standard. Work-life balance was very good, and managers allowed me a lot of freedom in working hours.

Cons

The future direction of the research faculty I was part of wasn't especially clear. There had been some cuts because of the recession which left some research areas looking a bit short staffed (although this wasn't true of my group which was well supported).

A forward thinking institution

I worked at University of Leeds

Pros

A strong future lies ahead for the university - Investment, both in facilities and people etc. Top 50 uni in the world aim by 2015

Cons

Academic environment sometimes infringes upon a strong business minded approach - A flaw at most HE institutions however...

Great internship opportunities for undergraduates.

I worked at University of Leeds as an intern

Pros

Good pay; great support from staff; great working environment and peers.

Cons

None that I can think of.

One of the worst and most stressful times of my life.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Leeds, England

I worked at University of Leeds full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you have nothing else to do in your life..

Cons

Professors with grants are like dinosaurs here, they do whatever they want to without giving any consideration to the careers of people working for them. They bully and harass the employees by putting all the blame on them even though the students and other staff are hired without their consent. At least my experience was such.

Take bold decisions against those PIs who have plenty of money but controversially try to grab and snatch everything. They bully, harass and enslave the employees by putting all the blame on them even though the students and other staff are hired without their consent. Any research student/staff who gets hired and is supposed to work with you, you should be asked about his/her credentials rather than just thumping on you. The post-docs end up working for these students rather than providing them with guidance.

Have people with some dignity and spine at key positions rather than the HoS of my department who was just running after my PI even though he knew everything about the PI's habits. People keep quite and bearing these atrocities because of their visas or some other scholarship bond at home and all such Professors exploit this to the best of their advantage. Nobody is there to make any situation better for them even though such PIs are destroying the careers of the employees working with them. To add insult to injury these PIs are offered special Lectureships and Fellowships so they can establish more slavery. Whoever will keep accepting their slavery will eventually be offered a fellowship or a lectureship depending upon the type of slavery. I have not seen more selfish people in my whole life than such professors. Ask the post-docs about how they feel and do something about it rather than just doing a routine survey. Please do something before people stop coming over here.

Good and Bad

Current Employee - Clerical Grade III in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Clerical Grade III in Leeds, England

I have been working at University of Leeds part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

An understanding employer, great holidays, pleasant working environment and a reasonable pay scale.

Cons

Hard work and commitment isn't always rewarded, some middle managers are weak and ignore laziness. Too many staff have too many sickness days. At times the culture can seem like a holiday camp.

Toughen up on the idle and those persistently off sick with minor complaints. One bad apple can potentially turn the whole team bad. Staff morale is lowered by witnessing managers turning a blind eye to the uncommitted.

Good employer

I worked at University of Leeds

Pros

Annual pay rise, extra days off after bank holidays

Cons

General lack of promotion opportunities

Very good environment. great work ethic. room for improvement and career advancement slim.

Current Employee - Research Officer in Leeds, England
    Current Employee - Research Officer in Leeds, England

I have been working at University of Leeds part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good salary. Good experience. Very nice city to live in. Great work environment. challenging tasks and projects. Flexible hours which is always a plus.

Cons

Not a lot of benefits. Career would be fixed in the academia business. Research is challenging and exciting but it is mostly useful in such environments.

University of Leeds Photos