University of Leicester

www.le.ac.uk

University of Leicester Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
University of Leicester – UK – “Uni of Leicester”

Very supportive and friendly atmosphere. Well structured and fluid workload with scope.

Research Administrator (Current Employee) Leicester, England

ProsFlexible working hours - I am often able to fit a 7 hour day between the hours of 7am and 9pm which is good for when I have other commitments. Self structured working allowing me to use variation when a particular area of work gets tedious or boring. If I need something all I have to do is ask (stationary, advice, contact info, training etc...). My particular field of work allows me to advance my knowledge through low level research posters and attendance at relevant conferences and meetings. Although not specified in the job description it certainly helps expand my knowledge and understanding!

ConsCertain areas of work are tedious and boring but often need doing to meet deadlines and data submissions. Flexibility is based upon what workload is needed/not needed at the time. Career opportunities aren't often available and are often unclear. Pay is pretty low compared to others my age (26) and the pay scale increments only come around once a year AND you hit a 'ceiling' after 5 years.

Inspiring

Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Leicester, England

ProsLeicester provides a flexible balanced workload, anice friendly atmostphere and great research opportunities. There are increasing interdisciplinary projects both within the university and with other universities in the UK and abroad. Leicester has a good environmental standard showing others the way forward. I have been working here for 3 years now while completing my PhD but before that I was a student for 4 years. It is a great university and they cannot get rid of me!

ConsThere needs to be more opportunities for career progression of junoir staff members (such as myself) and a more rigourous mentoring system. It is easy, especially for graduate teaching assistants, to get lost and forgotten about.

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer advice for junior staff who may consider becoming a lecturer should be provided as well as a better avenue to progress in your career without quitting and re applying.

Great place to work

Dl Finance Administrator (Current Employee) Leicester, England

ProsGreat team, friendly colleagues, supportive organisation.

ConsBuilding is a bit old and run down

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to new ideas and innovation

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Research assistant

Research Associate (Current Employee) Leicester, England

ProsGreat team spirit
    Flexible working
    Good progression of career and development offered
    Good collaborative spirit for researchers in field
    Very competitive with other universities
    Constantly making top 20 of Times higer education lists

ConsIn academia hours can be long
    Work life balance has to maintained by yourself
    You need to be self motivated to get the work done
    University sites are spread across city from hospital to main campus. - not always a problem or con but something to consider
    Parking permits are like gold dust at hospital sites, so if you live close public transport or hospital hopper may be the mode of transport

I wish that I had come to work here 20 years ago

Senior Lecturer (Current Employee) Leicester, England

ProsThe freedom to do the job my way

ConsBeing constrained by, mostly necessary, university regulations

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in 21st century equipment for teaching

A fantastic job for students

Student Ambassador (Current Employee) Leicester, England

ProsYou can choose your own hours and how much you work in some positions so the work-life balance is perfect. Also, the range of people you get to work with is great and you get to try different tasks all the time

ConsThere are a lot of things that you have to know about the University of Leicester in order to be good at the position, and this can take time to achieve.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more inter-work relationships by providing more training days etc together with other workers

A well organised experience, easy to navigate, and a very overall nice place.

Student Ambassador (Current Employee) Leicester, England

ProsEasy to navigate, friendly staff, nice modern buildings (most).

ConsCan't think of anything bad

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognise individuals after a shift perhaps… but I've never had a bad experience.

Nice place to work

Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) Leicester, England

ProsComfortable professional environment with proper management structure. This is place is big thumbs up form my side. I would always recommend them.

ConsMost of time is very nice environment but it still needs improvement in few places. There is some favouritism given of certain placements.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive chance new people and fresh talent as they can be real difference maker in growth terms.

Enjoyed it all up to now!

Research Technician (Current Employee) Leicester, England

ProsPretty flexible with hours, they have a great staff development scheme and loads of help/services for keeping calm, counselling, advice etc. Discount off the gym if you join the salary sacrifice scheme. Friendly staff, they're very understandable when it comes to those annoying life situations like having to be home for an inspection/plumber/work of some kind. Very supportive of being healthy mentally and physically, if you're stressed they also do staff yoga etc as well as the counselling service.

ConsFood isnt great and is pricey and there could be more places to sit to eat and vending machines for food. Fixed contracts rather than permanent positions however this is usually down to funding bodies in my case.

Highly political - culture of blame and fear

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMost people are friendly enough. The University has some really lovely grounds and Victoria Park is right next to the main campus.

ConsZero support - awful management. A culture of blame and fear and the worst politics I've ever known. Some baseless investment decision have nearly financially ruined the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to one another and treat the staff with more respect. It would be ideal if you could also pay the Living Wage to the lower earners. Why has the current financial situation come as such a shock?

Worked for University of Leicester? Contribute to the Community!