University of Miami

www.miami.edu

University of Miami Reviews

Updated Jul 11, 2014
University of Miami – “KSV Langmuir Mini Trough”

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala

Donna E. Shalala

Pros
  • The UM is a reputable institution and has a beautiful campus(in 13 reviews)

• beautiful weather, lovely people, and just an overall great work environment(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of opportunities to grow and promotion(in 4 reviews)

• No room for growth, poor pay, no incentives to excel(in 6 reviews)

Beautiful city, beautiful people

Graduate Student (Former Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsThe culture is wonderful, the atmosphere is beautiful, its easy to fall in love with Miami. The professors are great and are really down to earth. The campus is beautiful and has a diverse array of students, faculty and staff. The research is leading and cutting edge.

ConsWork-life balance is difficult as a graduate student but many find time to do the things they want to do. A disciplined work ethic will take you far.

Great opportunity for student employment

ProsI worked at the UM Rathskeller, the on campus restaurant/bar. Some pros were that it was super convenient to have a job on campus, I loved the people that I worked with, and the upper management were understanding and sympathetic about school-related schedule conflicts.

ConsThe work itself wasn't that fun. Some customers were difficult to deal with. There wasn't much training for the job - I was thrown in there and expected to know what to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more training!

UHealth System NOT in good health

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsPrivate Company supported by Philanthropy.....will not go out of business

ConsUHealth & Miller School lacks LEADERSHIP. Ethically challenged......dishonest to the board.... The C-Suite executives have NO vision or leadership skills - they have big egos and collect massive paychecks. They don't lead nor make decisions with any consensus. Employee morale is lower than low. Benefits no longer set them apart from other employers. Employees do NOT feel valued. Used to be the BEST place to work!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementChange at the top - - from the President down to all the of C-Suite executives at UHealth & Miller school. Value your employees, you are losing competitive advantage for your employees and patients. Compensate employees appropriately.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

working and salary

Research Associate II (Former Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsGreat work place and nice to live, Good fellow, Benefit is so good. not too much working

ConsSalary is not good. low

Wonderful!

Senior Staff Assistant (Former Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsIt was a very friendly atmosphere

ConsI thought I was underpaid,

Research Intern at the Institute to Cure Paralysis

Research Associate I (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsGreat work environment. Everyone in my lab was friendly, worked well together, and was dedicated to their job.

ConsWorking in the downtown Miami area means there's a lot of traffic, but other than that the location was great

very pleasant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe working environment is very pleasant and have a great work life balance, The weather and the location are also good reasons to work here.

ConsThe salary is competitive to other entry level jobs but there is more space to raise.

Run fast

ProsTuition benefits are great if you need an undergraduate degree, graduate degrees become very pricey

Cons1. Poor Leadership
    2. Poor managers are permitted to stay beyond their time and thus create toxic environments
    3. Salaries border on slave wages

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate salary bands, and really analyze managers to see if they truly are successful or merely creating smoke and mirrors

Life of Graduate Assistant

Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

Pros1. Have enough time to plan for rest of career.

Cons1. Slow pace progress.
    2. No appreciation.

Student work study

Intern (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsThe culture in the lab was extremely laid back and the schedule was very flexible. You could take a day off whenever you needed.

ConsMachines would break down causing you to rerun samples over and over. Project goals would change that would benefit some but leave others with barely any work hours for a whole semester.

Worked for University of Miami? Contribute to the Community!