University of North Carolina

Updated 21 September 2014
3.7

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt
Carol L. Folt

Pros
  • Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Chapel Hill is also a great place to live and work -- very high quality of life (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The recession hit the University hard, but it seemed like they were taking the budget cuts out on the lowest paid employees (in 8 reviews)

• No raises for faculty in five years and none are on the horizon (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

127 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My experience at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill was positive. I worked as Research Assistant at two researc

Former Employee - Research Assistant  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time for less than a year

Pros

People their are extremely nice, always ready to help

Cons

Not significant international population, most of the people are from NC or nearby states, so not much diversity.

To Payroll: Use Glacier online tax compliance system. It's hard for non-residents to know whether or not their county is part of tax treaty or not. Glacier makes this process so much easier.

I worked as a histologist and tech

Former Employee - Research Technician  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at University of North Carolina full-time for less than a year

Pros

benefits , people. and the job was really fun

Cons

parking and waiting for bus

Keep the good people and work with them on advancement

Great place to work

Former Employee - Student Assistant  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Student Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and decent pay depending on which department you are working for, good atmosphere as well

Cons

As with any job, the pay could always be better and it's difficult to know where you stand after applying for a job opening because there is no update on position after the closing date.

Offer the ability to be updated of open position status

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place, difficult environment.

Current Employee - Assistant Professor  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Beautiful campus, great fellow faculty, wonderful students.

Cons

Tend to promote outstanding academics who are clueless with how to lead, manage and serve as the administrator for a program. Another real threat to this great university is a clueless legislature who seem to be singularly focused on gutting the essential funding to primary, secondary and higher education.

Solicit input from your faculty and pay attention to the input.

Get to know the department's environment

Current Employee - Grants Manager, Accountant  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Grants Manager, Accountant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall, this is a great Univeristy to work for. It shows great appreciation for its employees.

Cons

My department's environment was great however, there was no potential to grow within that particulat environment. Everyone seems stuck in their current role.

Has a whole, I have no advise for the University.

The environment is nice, but don't expect a raise in the near future with the present legislature.

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

My coworkers are great, and there is a laid back atmosphere at the university.

Cons

As a TA you will have a hard time making ends meet if you don't live in a modest place and budget wisely, especially if you want to live alone.

Great school, would attend again!

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great University, Currently a great department, Great town and metropolitan area. Most professors and groups support healthy work-life balance.

Cons

High student fees make compensation less than it seems. Take $2000 off your yearly stipend to find out what you will really be making. Because of the recent scandals at UNC, things tend to get swept under the rug.

Compensation needs to be more, but they are slowly increasing the graduate stipend in my department.

Decent place for graduate work

Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, tuition award. Campus is nice to looks at, there is good public transportation in Chapel Hill. My immediate coworkers and supervisor are nice people.

Cons

institutional culture is disconnected from reality. Undergraduates are prideful tools. Institutional culture is poisoned by focus on athletics to the exclusion of improving the university. That and having a blank check.

Less emphasis on NCAA athletics, more emphasis on literally anything else.

Frank Porter Graham Student Union

Current Employee - Events Management  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Events Management in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great environment and great people.

Cons

Over hiring and turbulence in management

There is a lot going on with full time staff such as many of them doing double duty. Fill vacant positions.

An experience that has left me with new skills but also knowledgeable about the things I DON'T want for my next position

Current Employee - Research Associate  in  Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

Pros

Little supervision in the sense that I didn't someone breathing down my neck all the time, but always able to find someone if I needed to ask questions or get feedback. Collaboration between programs and research centers was invaluable. Great benefits as an EPA employee (almost 5 weeks vacation!).

Cons

Academia. Other centers may be different than the one I worked for, but I will never work in academia again. Too much thinking and not enough actually making a difference in people's lives.
    With academia also comes the rigid hierarchy. Unlike public agencies on the county or state level, a master's degree is not respected when working with MDs and PhDs.
    Because you are a state employee working at UNC, your opportunities for raises are small. Some flexibility if there is extra money in a grant but otherwise, we've seen very small raises the last few years.

University of North Carolina Photos

front desk
School of Public Health
UNC-CH LIBRARY
outside the North SASB building

+ Add Photo

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!