University of North Carolina

University of North Carolina Reviews in North Carolina

Updated Jul 24, 2014

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt

Carol L. Folt

Pros
  • Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Chapel Hill is also a great place to live and work -- very high quality of life (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • The recession hit the University hard, but it seemed like they were taking the budget cuts out on the lowest paid employees (in 8 reviews)

• No raises for faculty in five years and none are on the horizon (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights
120 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great school, would attend again!

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsGreat University, Currently a great department, Great town and metropolitan area. Most professors and groups support healthy work-life balance.

ConsHigh student fees make compensation less than it seems. Take $2000 off your yearly stipend to find out what you will really be making. Because of the recent scandals at UNC, things tend to get swept under the rug.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation needs to be more, but they are slowly increasing the graduate stipend in my department.

Decent place for graduate work

Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsBenefits, tuition award. Campus is nice to looks at, there is good public transportation in Chapel Hill. My immediate coworkers and supervisor are nice people.

Consinstitutional culture is disconnected from reality. Undergraduates are prideful tools. Institutional culture is poisoned by focus on athletics to the exclusion of improving the university. That and having a blank check.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess emphasis on NCAA athletics, more emphasis on literally anything else.

Frank Porter Graham Student Union

Events Management (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsGreat environment and great people.

ConsOver hiring and turbulence in management

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a lot going on with full time staff such as many of them doing double duty. Fill vacant positions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

a good neplace to do research

Postdoctoral Research Associate (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsI am in the Biochemistry and Biophysics department. The lab layout is open space lab which promote member interaction between labs and resource sharing.

ConsParking is very limited. Most of the employees park outside of the campus and take bus to come into the campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefit is ok. Working culture is pretty good. People are friendly and willing to help. A good place to start a career.

Good University

Clinical Instructor (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsRespectful employer
    Flexible schedule
    Pleasant university atmosphere

ConsLow pay
    Slow advancement schedule
    Parking is impossible

good place

Instructor (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

Prosnice people, nice place, do not push you, work-life balance

Consnot challenge enough to update your knowledge as an instructor

My job is easy and awesome. Just keep all students, faculty and staff happy as a retail cashier

Retail Cashier (Current Employee) Greensboro, NC (US)

ProsGreat benefits, meeting new people, loyal customers, very fun environment

ConsGetting a day off when your the main one that opens up in the morning can be difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to do better in training their employees

Fantastic experience as a graduate student

Research Assistant (Former Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsThe folks at HSRC are great. I learned a lot about bicycle and pedestrian safety. People here are passionate about the center's mission and share that passion with others. They gave me a lot of opportunities to write articles, go to seminars, and do independent research. They respected my suggestions and published my work pretty quickly, which was gratifying. Pay was decent and hours were flexible. One of my supervisors still keeps in touch and gives great advice. Other students and staff were friendly and we often socialized outside of work.

ConsGrowth opportunities could be better. Would have stayed on if I could, but it's very funding-dependent. It's mostly desk work which can become a little dull at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

A typical graduate student experience

Research Assistant/Graduate Student (Current Employee) Chapel Hill, NC (US)

ProsJust like other PhD student salary, at least in the bio area. You can live ok with the stipend in chapel hill area.
    The TIBBS often send out "Jobs, Postdocs, and Other Opportunities" emails to students and post-docs.

ConsBenefit sucks, insurance package is not good. Not just the RA/TA insurance, my staff friends/coworkers told me their previous jobs provide much better benefit and insurance package.

good place

Instructor (Former Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

Prosnice co-workers, good atmosphere, work-life balance

Consnot challenge enough to update your knowledge. almost do the same routine

Worked for University of North Carolina? Contribute to the Community!