University of North Carolina

Updated 17 November 2014
3.8

University of North Carolina Chancellor Carol L. Folt
Carol L. Folt

Pros
  • Flexibility - depending on the lab you can have reasonable work/life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Chapel Hill is also a great place to live and work -- very high quality of life (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • The recession hit the University hard, but it seemed like they were taking the budget cuts out on the lowest paid employees (in 8 reviews)

• No raises for faculty in five years and none are on the horizon (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great working environment

Current Employee - Social Clinical Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Social Clinical Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Your experience depends on the team of people you're working with, but I have been lucky. The PI I was working with gave me a great deal of atonomony and has a great team of motivated smart people working for her. I have had the opportunity to work on several of the PIs studies, and have learned so much about the world clinical/social research. Overall it's been a fantastic job.

Cons

People generally stay in the UNC system for too long, and become apathetic or negative. In reasearch there are lots of ebs and flows to the work, so there are periods where there is very little to do. There is also little room for growth unless you have a PhD.

Fair and good place to be

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time

Pros

UNC is a great institution. You decide where you want to take your career and you should make the most of it.

Cons

There are all the usual politics that there are in any other work place.

Supportive environment for postdoctoral training

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Research Associate

I have been working at University of North Carolina full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is actually an Office of Postdoctoral Affairs where postdocs can go to get advice on such topics as resumes/CVs, interviewing strategies, and grant writing. The OPA often puts together events in conjunction with other organizations on campus (e.g., NC Tracs, or other academic institutions) that are usually free (or low cost) such as career fairs or career development symposiums).

Reasonable cost of living (having lived in Midwest and West coast) in Chapel Hill/Carrboro areas.

As a whole, UNC exhibits a collegial atmosphere that enables postdocs to pursue multidisciplinary research.

Cons

To get the most out of medical insurance, you're encouraged to go to the student health center, which may not always provide the best care. Coverage for dental insurance is an extra cost. Out-of-pocket expenses for basic dental care at UNC are about $200 unless you're fortunate enough to win in the lottery for a free basic check up for which students and staff enter for a drawing.

Parking on campus is also very expensive yet limited in terms of the number of parking spaces and parking areas available to postdocs.

Consider adding more in-person sessions for postdocs that discuss retirement and health benefits. Consider subsidizing some of the costs for dental insurance.

Office of Classroom Support review

Former Employee - Support Technician in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Support Technician in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Somewhat laid back, they will work with your class schedule to get you what hours you want. Good IT support experience. Can learn a lot about software, hardware and audiovisual support here.

Cons

As a student worker, you are limited to a maximum of 20 hours during the semester. Also, the student position got paid very little but I believe that is changing.

Crc at unc

Current Employee - CRC in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - CRC in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

Pros

Competitive pay, working with great people, great benefits. It's also nice to contribute to grant writing and published works.

Cons

Not a lot of room for growth. It's very unlikely to cyst a raise or get promoted.

Give people raises, give people promotions.

Working as a Web developer

Current Employee - Web Developer in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible timing will help us to manage course along with the work load. Work - life balance is at its best.

Cons

Compensation benefits can be increased to students working as a part time.

Research Assistant

Former Employee - Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Research Assistant in Chapel Hill, NC (US)

I worked at University of North Carolina part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great school and working environment

Cons

None for this field at this time

research assistance

Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Research Assistant/Graduate Student in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at University of North Carolina part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great university for metrology research work

Cons

there is no cons about the program

Its okay very corporate

I have been working at University of North Carolina

Pros

Good pay, opportunities, lots of restructuring and assistance from staff members

Cons

Some Self centered individuals work for this company as in any company.

Support your staff

Teaching assistant as a graduate student

I worked at University of North Carolina (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great intellectual environment. Chapel Hill is not a big city, which I liked, but it has a lot to offer, especially if you are interested in healthy living and sustainable development.

Cons

Low stipend and a lot of fees, including a three credit tuition fee for the semester in which you only defend. I wasn't even living in Chapel Hill that last semester and they still had me pay.

Invest more in your graduate student instead of trying to get money out of them.

University of North Carolina Photos