University of Nottingham

Updated 14 October 2014
Updated 14 October 2014
4.0

Professor David Greenaway

Pros
  • University Park campus is beautiful and has good facilities (in 3 reviews)

• You have excellent work-life balance (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • as it's about cutting-edge research, you need to work hard to make progress (in 2 reviews)

• There have been numerous safety concerns on and off campus, and many students have reported sexual harassment, assault, and theft (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

best company to work for

Current Employee - Research Secretary in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Research Secretary in Nottingham, England

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (less than an year)

Pros

they take into account what directions you want your career to go and do everything they can to help you achieve your goals

Cons

i genuinely do not have any complaints about the company, maybe the traffic getting off campus at night but his can't be helped

Welcoming environment with lots of interesting people and opportunities

Current Employee - Postgraduate Researcher in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Postgraduate Researcher in Nottingham, England

I have been working at University of Nottingham (more than an year)

Pros

Great opportunities, great Engineering department, beautiful campuses. I really enjoy the general ambience of the university in terms of how the research area is moving forward.

Cons

I am not fond of the way in which researchers that have not made the jump to lecturing are short term contracted employees, job security is minimal, and it is rather de-humanizing.

Better job security for postdoctoral researchers.

A fantastic campus with fantastic staff but let down by continued provision of less than excellent teaching facilities.

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Nottingham, England

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The grounds are amazing, I live on campus and it is a delight to watch the colours change with the seasons, they are so well managed.
    The staff are from all over the world so although the university is in regional uk ( and has all the benefits of that such as proximity to Peak District, economical living expenses) it also has a connectivity to the world.

Cons

The buildings are not the best they can be. Estates prefers to keep things to a price as opposed to the best venue for teaching which is a pity as this campus could be the best in the uk but it isn't because of the wasted opportunities for the facilities. I teach in rooms that students cannot hear properly, the problems were highlighted prior to construction but nothing was done to change this and nothing has been done since. It is the key factor to reducing the students experience in my opinion.

Make quality teaching spaces a priority not the budget, it is a false economy to build bad teaching spaces as it lowers student experience and hence league tables.

Give students the permanent desk spaces that would make this the best university. The university has the opportunity as it has the space unlike others, so to not make the most of the space in a facility provision sense is simply bad business. Sure the campus grounds are beautiful but we are a place of teaching first and the buildings are currently letting the whole place down in terms of quality and amount of space available.

Telephone fundraising

Former Employee - Telephone Fundraiser in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Telephone Fundraiser in Nottingham, England

I worked at University of Nottingham part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training was paid and thorough enough for the job. The pay itself was excellent for the work we were doing. I learnt a lot of skills there.

Cons

The job itself was not my kind of thing so I didn't enjoy myself - but that may have just been my own personal taste. I know others did enjoy it.

enjoyable

Former Employee - Student
    Former Employee - Student

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great location, some good teachers and home of cedex

Cons

some very poor teachers, different rules for different schools

standardize rules and regulations across the board

Engineering Research Placement

Former Employee - Engineering Research Placement in Nottingham, England
    Former Employee - Engineering Research Placement in Nottingham, England

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good experience in researching, project management

Cons

Incompetent supervisor, too much ambiguity with requirements

Ten Years and Counting

Current Employee - Teaching and Student Support Officer in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Teaching and Student Support Officer in Nottingham, England

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good salary structure.
    Good career opportunities.
    Good colleagues to work with.
    Interesting mix of students.
    World-renowned employer.
    Good fringe benefits.

Cons

Work Place Parking Levy - a rip-off imposed by the City Council!!

I love it

Current Employee - Research Associate in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Nottingham, England

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work with amazing people, proud of what I do, proud of where I work. Amazing training opportunities.. Apple course fab. Work hard, get flexibility within my role. Opportunities to perform at conferences, big events, flagship for the university.

Cons

Not sure what I'll be doing a year from now. Fixed term contracts are really difficult to manage. Skill people up, then they have to leave.

Have a more sable structure, reward the hard working and performance manage others.

My experience has overall been positive. Excellent academic staff and able administrators.

Current Employee - Teaching Associate in Nottingham, England
    Current Employee - Teaching Associate in Nottingham, England

I have been working at University of Nottingham as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Strong research and teaching environments and high-quality students.

Cons

Occasional interference in academic reserach/teaching by management rulings.

Leadership is fine, as long as it does not lead to interference with academic work. Also, while getting positive student ratings are important, it is not always about giving students what they want, but rather about providing them with what they need.

Some high-level academic staff need to be convinced to contribute more extensively to teaching.

Not what was sold to me

Current Employee - Barman and Undergraduate Student
    Current Employee - Barman and Undergraduate Student

I have been working at University of Nottingham part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Social live within the city is great and the societies are great.

Cons

The halls are hugely overpriced, quality of campus food is low and very overpriced, especially on the Sutton Bonington campus. Meal cards used for Main campus students cannot be used at Sutton Bonington, Access to building is restricted to say the least and even my own schools doors are in accessible after 6pm.
    Poorly run courses with the few exceptions of 1 or 2 talented lecturers. Was promised a course that would broaden my employability options, this is true mainly due to the fact nobody within my degree knows what jobs they could get as we haven't learnt anything to a level appropriate to the work place of many students ideal career paths. As well as a student I have also been an employee. They treat casual staff as though mean nothing to them and take no advise that we on the front line know would work. As for full time staff they too revive no voice in the decisions made by management and they wonder why things fall apart and there are mass communications problems over every sector of the university. Pay for full time staff is disproportionately low compared to that of CEO's and deputy principles, no wonder staff strike when top staff earn in excess of 200k a year.
    Furthermore the hopper bus situation is dismal, buses to Sutton bonington are late and often do not turn up and so many students, researchers and professors have complained about this but to no avail.

Listen to those on the front line
    Don't lie about what your University offers
    Better communication is essential
    Sort out the busses

University of Nottingham Photos

Working conditions of University of Nottingham Ningbo staff.

+ Add Photo