University of Nottingham
www.nottingham.ac.uk Nottingham, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

University of Nottingham Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014
University of Nottingham – Ningbo – “Working conditions of University of Nottingham…”

Professor David Greenaway

Great uni to work for

Telephone Fundraiser (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Nottingham part-time for more than a year

ProsThe whole team are very friendly and a difficult job is made fun

ConsTelephone fundraising is hard as some people do not want to talk

PhD fellowship/ teaching + research assistant

PhD Researcher (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Nottingham full-time for more than 3 years

Prosthe best thing about the university is that it has got prominent scholars in the field, they also have excellent postgraduate support in terms of language and have great courses on

Consyou are treated neither a staff nor a student and you are not treated as an early researcher either, with the lack of support. i have not received any training in terms of where and how to publish my articles. one will not be assigned teaching duties, unless they apply for it which is competitive, and you will only be paid minimum wage, so you have the dilemma, whether to focus on research or gain some teaching experience (but that will consume you a lot of time and energy), you will have the chance of being hired as invigilators for exams, and you will be paid minimum wage too.

Advice to Senior Managementvalue PhD research fellows as research staff and early career researchers, more collaboration between current research and teaching staff and PhD candidates.

Lack of managerial oversight, no team cohesion and seriously discriminatory with regards to disability.

Laboratory Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Nottingham part-time for more than a year

ProsVery laid back in regards to timekeeping and lunch breaks. Research projects are interesting and most students are a delight to work with. University Park campus is beautiful and has good facilities.

ConsLack of management, meaning that objectives are not clearly set out and time can be wasted. Training that was promised is never delivered. Disability discrimination is bad, with disabled colleagues being undervalued and excluded from both work and social activities. There is a large 'us and them' divide between academic and technical staff, the fact that most technicians have academic degrees is not appreciated.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to include disabled staff, leaving them with nothing to do is not making reasonable adjustments. Value your technical staff more and aim to instil this value in your researchers and PhD students. Don't justify practises with 'it's always been done this way', change can be good. Don't offer training unless you plan on delivering it.

Administrative job at the university offices.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Nottingham, England

I have been working at University of Nottingham part-time for less than a year

ProsPart-time job whilst also studying as an undergraduate student. Decent salary. Flexible hours. Project-oriented tasks and so a sense of achievement when you complete a project. Great managers that take great initiative and also make you feel like you are doing something worthwhile without putting too much pressure on you.

ConsUnderstandably, not much room for progression, because the job was part time. Salary could have been better considering that I was doing more than was in my job description. Also, the university is not so sympathetic towards students who work part-time and have clashes with lectures and seminars.

A great place to work

PhD Student (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou have excellent work-life balance

ConsIt may be very quiet at times

Advice to Senior Managementdo not be too business minded, whatever that means :)

Research Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Nottingham

ProsThe working environment is encouraging and relatively flexible. The pay is generous. You may be doing cutting-edge research with leading researcher in the world. You can have access to University facilities such as labs and libraries.

Consyou need to be highly motivated and have a keen interest to make the project through to completion. Doing a summer research probably won't count too much if you go for a job application instead of phd.

Research Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Nottingham

Prosa lot of flexibility, opportunities to learn more

Consas it's about cutting-edge research, you need to work hard to make progress

PhD at SPMMRC

PhD (Former Employee)

I worked at University of Nottingham as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsGenerally an excellent place to work if you are in the right group. Thoroughly enjoyed my time there, most of the academic staff are excellent and very helpful, though some of the newer groups less so. There are lots of MR scanners which are easily accessible and no there is no trouble with getting time to use them. In general I would highly recommend the centre to anyone applying for a PhD in MRI.

ConsPhD offices can be very noisy at times due to the large number of people and generally talkative bunch, this is great for the social side but can be somewhat difficult when in the writing up stages.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a dedicated final year write up office.

PhD Student

PhD Researcher (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent Campus, good facilities, lots of extra-curicular activities. If you are willing to make the effort you will find a whole host of activities to keep you entertained.

ConsLack of communication within the faculty. Can be frustrating to get things done in a prompt manner. It has improved in recent years.

Nottingham University - a reasonable employer with reasonable benefits

Teaching & Student Support Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at University of Nottingham full-time for more than 8 years

ProsCareer structure, personal development, work-life balance

ConsDifficult to move up the career structure; they like to shove your pay up the scale to the top, and then leave it there so you don't receive any increase year-on-year afterwards; often afraid to shed the deadwood and keeps people who shouldn't really be in a job.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic; don't be so politically correct.

Worked for University of Nottingham? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at University of Nottingham reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for University of Nottingham CEO Professor David Greenaway . All 28 reviews are posted anonymously by University of Nottingham employees.