University of Southampton

www.soton.ac.uk

University of Southampton Reviews

Updated May 26, 2014
University of Southampton – UK – “ECS dept”

An interesting, vibrant place to work.

Learning Support Assistant (Current Employee) Southampton, England

ProsLots of interesting, busy people, lots going on, main campus on nice park with lots of trees and flowers. Staff seem really engaged with their work. A top-ranking Russell Group university, doing lots of groundbreaking research in all sorts of areas.

ConsFor someone on a zero hours contract such as myself, the usual variability of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people more!

Best place to work in Southampton, UK

Web Analyst (Former Employee) Southampton, England

ProsGreat work culture
    Good compensation
    Friendly colleagues
    great progress opportunities
    world class facilities
    easy to access transport facilities

ConsI could not figure out any shortcoming while working there

Best Place to work in Southampton, UK

Web Analyst (Former Employee) Southampton, England

ProsI have really enjoyed my time at the university as it gave me opportunity t learn and progress. staff were very friendly and supportive. Also, University of Southampton has a very good pay grades with lots of extra perks for employees.

Consthere is no downside of working in university of Southampton I believe.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent benefits, but poor management

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Current Employee) Southampton, England

ProsGenerous holiday allowance. Campus is nice enough, with relatively easy access to the city centre and surrounding areas by bus, although train connections are a bit more challenging. Also easy access to a variety of Chinese food restaurants nearby.

ConsAdministration appears to care little for the impact of their policies on researchers. Little opportunity for early career researchers to distinguish themselves, however, this has been improving as of late. The amount of paperwork, harassment and bureaucracy imposed by health and safety is a significant impediment to performing research. Hired technical staff does not have sufficient background and expertise to perform their jobs at a reasonable standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider instituting policies to make it clear that all employees are valued by the University. Hiring appropriate support staff and providing conditions that promote creativity instead of imposing impediments to new ideas is crucial for a research orientated university. Being open with staff regarding changes to facilities would promote trust.

Working in academia is hard because of bike shedding and penny pinching.

Research Fellow (Current Employee) Southampton, England

ProsGreat research, smart people, vibrant students with a willingness to learn and teach you in return.

ConsAdmin. The administration are the slowest, laziest kinds of people. Jobsworths through and through with no idea what the big picture is and intention to figure it out.

The pointless Bureaucracy that is eating academia from the inside out is in full force in southampton.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire HR and Finance.
    Start again and under stand that these support staff need to SUPPORT staff...and SUPPORT students... and not act as a barrier every opportunity they have

Pretty good, nice and friendly staff.

ProsGood pay considering not very much prior experiencing needed for the job.
    Easy to get references and meet other fellow students and to diversify your experiences.

ConsCant think of many but one of them would be that most of the jobs at Students Services do not help your career in the long run in terms of they are not jobs that oculd help you settle they are rather only good for gaining some experience.

I am a 4th year PhD student in the university of Southampton.

Research Student (Current Employee) Southampton, England

Prosacademically strong and well funded engineering department. World class facilities.

Consnot enough feedback given. some professors are better than others.

research student in aerodynamics

Research Student (Former Employee) Southampton, England

Prosmany expertise in aerodynamics, great research facilities such as wind tunnel and high performance computing.

Consfood service is not good, student service is not very helpful.

Advice to Senior Managementna

Interesting advanced research opportunities, but limited advancement opportunities

Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Former Employee) Southampton, England

ProsReally outstanding research opportunities in engineering and science
    Wonderfully diverse student and staff
    Collaborative environment
    Lively student body and well-organized extra-curricular activities

ConsLike many universities, facing difficult fiscal times. Resource limitations result in inter-departmental struggles and top-down management. The city of Southampton itself is not terribly pleasant, but the surrounding countryside and proximity to London make it more attractive.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't penny-pinch to the point that you start taking away even the smallest of perks, like having a microwave in the group kitchen!

OK

Research Support (Current Employee) Southampton, England

ProsNo stress, easy job which is relevant to my degree and have attended some interesting lectures.

ConsNot much for me to do sometimes

Advice to Senior ManagementFind me more fulfilling tasks.

Worked for University of Southampton? Contribute to the Community!