University of Sydney

Updated 25 November 2014
Updated 25 November 2014
3.7

CEO

Pros
  • Compensation and benefits provided are relatively good and you can enjoy a good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• Good pay, and access to many top researchers in the world (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • As a general staff it takes a lot to get a promotion or a reclassification (in 2 reviews)

• It is very isolating, no sense that you belong, at the moment there a lot of redundancies, so it feels quite competitive (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work like balance

I worked at University of Sydney full-time

Pros

Good work life balance, flexibility in start and end of daily work, plenty of opportunities try your hand on different programing language, friendly coworkers, good teams, good management

Cons

Very small development team, may end up working on back end / front end / design / development / testing , some legacy code still exist bit getting better, really dirty bathroom,

Keep the work life balance intact. That is do always show compassion in their start time of work

Great place to work

Current Employee - Tutor in Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Tutor in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at University of Sydney as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Tutoring role in the uni, academics were easy to keep in contact with, other tutors were helpful

Cons

Mainly a positive experience, nothing negative to say

Not agile enough in dealing with changes

Former Employee - Project Coordinator
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator

I worked at University of Sydney part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was a casual employee. In this case, in was not aware of all the promotions and benefits the company could offer. However, one positive aspect was the good work flexibility.

Cons

The organisation is not agile enough in dealing with changes. I had the impression they were struggling to implement transformational changes, however some of the management staff was very resistant.

postdoc experience

Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at University of Sydney full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great environment and friendly workmates. research support is fantastic and salary is relatively high compared to the US

Cons

it sometimes takes time to get paperwork done especially when it involve multi-lab collaboration you have to go through lots of paperworks make me think australia is like a asian country

postdoc position at the University of Sydney

Current Employee - Postdoctoral in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at University of Sydney full-time (more than an year)

Pros

well paid salary. I came to sydney for postdoc after receiving my phd in the US. Postdoc salary much higher than in the US, which is an important factor to drive me come over to Australia for postdoc. In general the research environment is great and I enjoy the freedom to explore my own ideas. Research support is quite generous as well.

Cons

In general, living cost is very high compared to the US. Some local australian are arrogant and not nice to outsiders.

Lack of strategic planning and care

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager

I worked at University of Sydney as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice area to work in, Newtown is surrounded by great places to eat.

Cons

The PMO in IT is run very poorly at the moment. They are trying to improve it however at every level of the organization there is lack of strategic vision, planning and guidance. Everyone does what they feel like. Every couple of years they move people around but don't change the culture.

You need to be strategic and probably firw yourselves or change yourself!

Your Mileage May Vary

Current Employee - PhD Student in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at University of Sydney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

USyd is generally well-respected within Australia and certain overseas locales.
    One able and willing administrative staff member can probably solve whatever issues you have.
    If you have an opportunity and the means by which to enjoy it, Sydney is a fun city.

Cons

Your student experience and employability depends almost exclusively on your relationship with your supervisor.
    There are very few constructs in which supervisor-student conflicts can be resolved.
    Supervisors are not in any way obligated to financially support your research or presentation of your results.
    Unless you're a prolific publisher, your 3.5 year PhD will not make you competitive for international fellowships.
    There were more infrastructure problems here than I've ever seen elsewhere: prevalent power and internet failures, web proxy snafus, and the like.

The APA-level stipend is laughably low; provide top-ups for accepted students. Do not allow faculty to take-on students they clearly cannot or will not support financially and intellectually. Allow students the opportunity to create a thesis committee, so that one faculty member's (often strong and loudly vocalised) opinion does not dominate the direction of research or disagreements.

Best time of your life

Current Employee - PhD Student in Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at University of Sydney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you want to be doing what you are passionate about, do a PhD at Usyd. Top notch research in my opinion.

Cons

Supervisors can be a bit difficult to deal with. Choose well.

beautiful campus, but often isolating

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at University of Sydney full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly good wages, depending on the department and supervisor you can work flexibly, Christmas shutdown

Cons

Stop sacking people for arbitrary reasons, there is no sense of trust or belonging.

Overall excellent experience

I have been working at University of Sydney

Pros

As A PhD student I found the university was equipped with latest technology,knowlegeable staff

Cons

sometimes you tend to face racism

University of Sydney Photos