University of Sydney

www.usyd.edu.au

University of Sydney Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014
University of Sydney – Australia – “Open plan offices in the School of IT”

Best time of your life

PhD Student (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsIf you want to be doing what you are passionate about, do a PhD at Usyd. Top notch research in my opinion.

ConsSupervisors can be a bit difficult to deal with. Choose well.

Your Mileage May Vary

PhD Student (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsUSyd is generally well-respected within Australia and certain overseas locales.
    One able and willing administrative staff member can probably solve whatever issues you have.
    If you have an opportunity and the means by which to enjoy it, Sydney is a fun city.

ConsYour student experience and employability depends almost exclusively on your relationship with your supervisor.
    There are very few constructs in which supervisor-student conflicts can be resolved.
    Supervisors are not in any way obligated to financially support your research or presentation of your results.
    Unless you're a prolific publisher, your 3.5 year PhD will not make you competitive for international fellowships.
    There were more infrastructure problems here than I've ever seen elsewhere: prevalent power and internet failures, web proxy snafus, and the like.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe APA-level stipend is laughably low; provide top-ups for accepted students. Do not allow faculty to take-on students they clearly cannot or will not support financially and intellectually. Allow students the opportunity to create a thesis committee, so that one faculty member's (often strong and loudly vocalised) opinion does not dominate the direction of research or disagreements.

beautiful campus, but often isolating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsFairly good wages, depending on the department and supervisor you can work flexibly, Christmas shutdown

ConsIt is very isolating, no sense that you belong, at the moment there a lot of redundancies, so it feels quite competitive

Advice to Senior ManagementStop sacking people for arbitrary reasons, there is no sense of trust or belonging.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall excellent experience

ProsAs A PhD student I found the university was equipped with latest technology,knowlegeable staff

Conssometimes you tend to face racism

A flexible and enjoyable learning environment

PhD Student (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsLots of smart people to commune with; bright and knowledgeable staff; excellent facilities and continual expansion. As a physics PhD Student, I found that having all of the different research groups in close proximity meant that there was often interesting interdisciplinary research talks.

ConsSometimes I have the feeling that Sydney University rests on its laurels a bit due to its reputation; which can make them seem a little haughty. In my visits to other universities, I have found them to feel much more welcoming.

Great opportunities if you can make it work

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsStimulating work, great levels of freedom.

ConsRemuneration is less than in comparable industry positions, and with heavy-weight bureaucracy. Many junior positions are casual (as is the case in academia). The cumulative effect is that they lose good people, and hence commercialisation opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurn from a "how can't we make this work" organisation into a "how can we make this work" organisation.

Fairly good education received

Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Prosstudents are pretty vibrant,
    most research stuff are pretty good in their own field and are responsible
    most lectures has been well prepared

Conshas an easy attitude on selecting tutors

Good pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI worked there part time while I did my PhD. Good pay, and access to many top researchers in the world

ConsIn university, you need to pursue a research life. Otherwise, it is very hard to have an improve in career.

Much like other universities

PhD Student (Current Employee) Sydney (Australia)

ProsSolid university with a good reputation

ConsIf you're not in one of their traditional areas of focus (e.g. law) you may find that the services and support is a bit rubbish.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has a tendency to centralise decision making and then ignore staff and students

Fun well-paying casual jobs for students

Student Ambassador (Former Employee) Sydney (Australia)

Pros- great casual pay rates
    - fun and interesting co-workers
    - opportunities for full-time positions
    - great experience for a CV

Cons- work can be repetitive (eg logistics prep for but that should be apparent from the job description and interview process

Worked for University of Sydney? Contribute to the Community!