University of Washington

Updated 19 August 2014

3.9

University of Washington President Michael K. Young
Michael K. Young

Pros
  • Work/life balance is pretty good; vacation and sick leave good (in 39 reviews)

• Very structured education system and great benefits for student (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • low salary, not easy to commute, living cost is expensive, campus is not very safe (in 15 reviews)

• Pay is competitive with other non-profits; not competitive with the private sector (but that's to be expected) (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Research University in the Pacific NW

Current Employee - Counseling Services Coordinator  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Counseling Services Coordinator in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

The University of Washington is primarily a Research I institution. It all depends on what office / division you are in, but there is ample room and support for professional development and upward mobility within the institution.

Cons

Again, it depends on which office / department you are in and what your role is within the university, but it isn't too hard to find people who are rather complacent and uninspired. It is just their job and nothing more. I don't like to spend my time around those people. Life is too short for that.

Teaching Assistant

Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Graduate Teaching Assistant in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

My tuition was paid for and I got to work closely with my professors.

Cons

Faculty sometimes wanted us to do work that was unpaid.

Good benefits, low pay

Pros

Good benefits, a beautiful campus to work at.

Cons

Low salary, some of the buildings are old and not well maintained so my office is dingy.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Greate place to work

Current Employee - Systems Analyst/Programmer II  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst/Programmer II in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

freedom to explore multiple options for solving problems
    low stress environment

Cons

Slow to respond to requests

Overall, a good employer to work for. Modest salaries are balanced by benefits and relative job security.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

If you enjoy academic life, working at a major university might be for you. There are always opportunities to attend lectures, conferences, and employees can take up to six credit hours for free every quarter (working the class into your schedule may be difficult). Time off is fairly generous (ten named holidays, and classified staff accrue 8+ hours of vacation time monthly). Working overtime is usually not necessary, excepting major conferences or the beginning of the academic year.

UW (at least at my department) places a high value on student satisfaction and supporting the students is taken very seriously. Also, UW is very progressive (and its policies reflect that), so if you lean conservative, you need to be aware that you will be in the minority here (it's Seattle, don't act surprised).

Cons

Navigating UW policy can be akin to navigating a labyrinth. Your department will have its own policy, centers within your department have their own policies, and other departments you may work with have their own policies. Have fun trying to interpret policy and apply it properly.

Also, you might be surprised at the amount of politicking (jockeying) that goes on in an academic community; don't assume that non-profits are immune, or that simply doing your job well and keeping your head down means you can escape office politics.

Finally, achieving promotions can be difficult and extremely slow, especially if you are classified staff. Do not expect the sort of salary increases that the private sector offers. If you're in with somebody high-ranked, though, you'll probably have corners cut for you.

Consider more transparency, and how playing favorites hurts company morale. Most of us don't work for a university because we hope to earn mega-salaries, but that doesn't mean that we aren't going to notice when someone is constantly promoted or given compensation above their abilities or work output.

Educational Outreach - Awesome place to work!

Current Employee - Program Coordinator
    Current Employee - Program Coordinator

Pros

AMAZING job security (excluding campus jobs), Great benefits, professional development offered to everyone (except student workers), tuition exemption, amazing hardworking co-workers, flexible hours, UW likes to hire within, so moving to another dept. is possible, family and single life can be well balanced, depending on where you work you can find a wide range of managing philosophies.

Cons

Compensation is at the state level,so it's low compared to other jobs. Because UW is part of the State, there are State policies that must be met. So, pay is low, benefits and job security high. Depending on where you work, there may or may not be a career ladder, so be aware of the org. chart and how you might progress in the organization should you wish to stay longer.

I love my management team. They don't micromanage and they are of the mindset, "do what you need to do so long as you get your work done and meet the deadline." Our team works very hard, so we are constantly working on something and bettering our department.

Great Campus.

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Benefits are just fine. Work-to-Live. Freedom.

Cons

Isolating. Limited Mentorship. Poor Advising.

foster a sense of community.

Pretty Good

Current Employee - Tutor  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Tutor in Seattle, WA (US)

Pros

Very laid back at the Office of Diversity and Minority Affairs. Sometimes I wouldn't go to work, and no one would even notice. Everyone was nice, and I was able to get a lot of homework done while at work, which was nice.

Cons

Boring sometimes, it is nice to have something to do.

Keep track of employees?

Great experience as a student and as an employee

Pros

The benefits are fantastic, also nice people to work with!

Cons

Parking: expensive and the bus service is not good.

Good Job, Good Benefits, Lower Pay

Pros

The University of Washington is a good place to work, it has great benefits however it does not provide for great advancement within each job classification and the pay for the type of work is below the outside scale.

Cons

As a member of a State Labor Union that has no ability to strike, the union has no real weight and does not represent it's members as equally in labor negotiations. Some trades should be independently represented by other unions. Also the union makes no attempt to introduce themselves to the employee other than a letter asking for dues money.

Worked for University of Washington? Contribute to the Community!