Unum Group Reviews

Updated 25 August 2014

3.7

Unum Group President, CEO, and Director Tom Watjen
Tom Watjen

Pros
  • Excellent benefits, generally provides good work-life balance, some areas provide nice advancement opportunities (in 9 reviews)

• Strong benefits package and lots of paid time off (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • anything good you hear about this company is from upper management or a "teachers pet" (in 5 reviews)

• Like any large company the bureaucracy does drag somewhat, but it is not a major problem (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome Company. I love working for this company

I have been working at Unum Group

Pros

Very good management and very professional

Cons

None. Dont have any complaints.

None

Stable job security with room to grow

Current Employee - Manager  in  Portland, ME (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

From what I've witnessed first hand and second hand, this company is better than most when it comes to weighing pros and cons. The benefits are good. Medical, dental, vision, etc. and 401K match up to 5%. The company generally cares about its customers and the employees first behind making a profit. There are opportunities to rise within the company and they make walk-ins feel empowered in upward mobility. People can work from home. You get a decent amount of PTO days from the start. Unum is a big contributor in the community at large, giving to charities, partnering with education, internships, tuition reimbursement, & drives of every kind. The people here also, mostly, get along. We have a lot of smart, talented individuals and the company makes employees do a lot to live the brand - essentially setting the bar really high and measuring every inch to ensure we can strive to such standards. On top of this Unum also offers a decent incentive bonus every year, an above average fitness facility, group clubs, shopping discounts, and other wellness programs. In the end, would I recommend this place to a friend, absolutely.

Cons

Company culture is mostly conservative, read not a lot of young people, or only in certain departments. The daily work is not very cool. Sales people are treated like hotshots on account of they generate $$$ for us. Some job roles can be very time consuming. You might be the only one of your team not in the same physical home office. Cubicles everywhere. Gym memberships and classes are grossly too expensive. Technology in general, right down to the generic computers given to us, the outdated browsers we're forced to use, and the systems that run this company are lackluster, and behind the pace of our competitors. We have a real shortage of technology innovation from the top down.

Read employee complaints and adjust please.

Good benefits but lots of office politics

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits and PTO. Strong benefits package and lots of paid time off. Good place to start your career.

Cons

Management plays favorites. If you are not part of the "in crowd" you will know it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unrealistic expectations with respect to work load. Working atmosphere is punitive.

Former Employee - Clinical Consultant  in  Glendale, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Clinical Consultant in Glendale, CA (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

PTO, health insurance and retirement options are decent.

Cons

Department managers are highly critical and offer little praise for a job well done. On an almost daily basis it is and was impossible to take breaks or a full lunch hour due to the unrealistic work load. My manager who has since been demoted operated from the CYA point of view and would throw anyone under the bus to save his skin.

Unum has a low morale problem due to management's poor attitude. Work on supporting your team members, teaching where needed, and show appreciation for the hard work which is done on a daily basis.

Great, conservative company

Current Employee - Process Analyst  in  Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Process Analyst in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Plenty of paid time off, good culture, opportunities for advancement for creative and driven employees, a budding movement toward openness and more modern workspaces, and superior work/life balance opportunities (work from home and alternative schedules)

Cons

Behind much of the industry technologically (way too many applications), redundant processes, hit-or-miss leadership with little accountability for devastating errors in many departments.

Continue to pursue making Unum the technology leader in the disability industry, focus attention on accountability and meaningful coaching for leadership--both new and old--as much as you've focused on coaching for individual contributors, review ongoing projects and initiatives holistically to reduce redundancy--it will save you money!

FMLA LEAVE SPECIALIST

Current Employee - FMLA Leave Specialist  in  Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - FMLA Leave Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Unum Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Enjoyed working for the company as they invest in employees and believes in promoting within. The work dress standards are business casual and I did not experience micromanagement. Employees were given the freedom to complete tasks responsibly and on time.

Cons

I have no cons to report at this time.

We're very open to new ideas and implemented an open-door policy for all.

Good Company, crippled IT department.

Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer  in  Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Infrastructure Engineer in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Established and very stable company. Decent work/life balance. Decent pay, great benefits, vacation time above and beyond standard. Annual bonus of 6% for most workers, around 10% for senior engineers and front-line managers. Most IT workers are allowed to telecommute or work from home part-time or full time. Large and extremely complex IT infrastructure make it a good place to gain skills with enterprise IT equipment.

Cons

The IT budget across the board has been drastically cut and hiring frozen leaving most all IT infrastructure departments limping along and chronically understaffed. Many IT workers are over worked and stressed out with low morale. Engineers and front-line managers are required to fill out forms how you spend each hour of each day. Different departments are like silos. Communication between departments is minimal or non-existent creating lots of "turf wars" and finger pointing between departments making projects difficult to complete often taking many months or years to complete. Upper management and business leaders do not value technology or staff. IT staff and Technology seen as a burden and risk. If possible they would outsource everything (again).

Bottom line is this...Unless you're a VP you need to: Know your "place", follow orders, ignore systemic problems, collect paycheck, and go home. Unum is not a place for creative thinking or innovation. They are highly resistant to change tending to focus more on tradition and process rather than value.

Senior IT leaders change names and restructure (re-org) every 18 months sometimes eliminating jobs. Lots of Paperwork and irrelevant meetings. Every year new paperwork is added. Even though there are many layers of middle managers it would be very unlikely to move up beyond initial front-line manager. Most Front-line managers have been with the company at least 15+ years. There is a strong tendency to look outside for senior IT leaders.

Management would not value free advice. "Credible" advice could only come from someone outside they chose to pay thousands to come in and audit them.

Too much work and too much stress

Current Employee - Disability Benefit Specialist  in  Portland, ME (US)
    Current Employee - Disability Benefit Specialist in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is good and they do have a fairly in depth training program.

Cons

The job isn't really how they represent it and there is a large burnout ratio in new employees. They also tend to change everything around on a monthly basis.

Get some stability and communicate more effectively what the job will be. Try to bridge the gap between the training room and the real job a bit better as everything seems to change on a day to day basis.

Professional Organization

Former Employee - Administration  in  Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Administration in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I worked at Unum Group as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Many opportunities for advancement and training

Cons

Has had many corporate changes overall; but what corporation hasn't.

UNUM is a great place to work!

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Portland, ME (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Portland, ME (US)

I worked at Unum Group as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

UNUM puts family first, the people are very helpful and willing to mentor.

Cons

I can't think of any cons.

Keep up the good work!

Worked for Unum Group? Contribute to the Community!