Unum Group

Updated 23 January 2015
3.7

Unum Group President, CEO, and Director Tom Watjen
Tom Watjen

Pros
  • Unum stresses a great work-life balance and backs it up by offering a generous amount of vacation time (in 14 reviews)

• Strong benefits package and lots of paid time off (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management and business leaders do not value technology or staff (in 6 reviews)

• big company, unrealistic goals, too number focused (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Terrific company for those looking for a career and significant growth opportunity. Promotions are based on job performance as opposed to politics and senior level management is very approachable. Managers spend an extraordinary amount of time developing their team members for future positions. Unum stresses a great work-life balance and backs it up by offering a generous amount of vacation time. Unum is a company with high moral values and they truly practice what they preach.

Cons

It takes a while to feel as though you are really contributing to the organization as most jobs require time to adjust to.

Negative--learned a lot--mostly that I will never recommend this company to anybody.

Current Employee - In 7 Years All Kinds of Roles in Portland, ME (US)
    Current Employee - In 7 Years All Kinds of Roles in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Cannot think of any for any educated person. If you have a highs-school degree, it beats working at a fast food restaurant for sure, but then again that is all Unum is made out of now. Everybody who can do more moves on.

Cons

POLITICS. Mediocre mid level managers hire and promote each other, so you have a lot of YES people who are undereducated and would not know how to lead a starving horse to a bag of hay. If you have an MBA and are aspiring to do great things, they will not promote you because you are a threat to the VPs and AVPs who are undereducated and clearly underperform. The company cannot bring to fruition anything new because they do not have leaders who can execute. The company is performing based on inertia. The initial leaders set the pace years ago and it is still kind of rolling. I am shocked that it is still in business.

Advice to CEO. Fire all the mid level managers and hire people with at least half of a brain. All of my managers were undereducated thought that they are all that, when really they were the leftovers of all other companies who would not hire them. That is all UNUM now. Advice to Management--if you think anything of yourself and if you are more than what I witnessed in 7 years and what my husband witnessed in more than 10 years--get out of there because my opinion of you is shrinking as days go by. How can you hire somebody to be manager in IT when that person has a high-school diploma and does not even know probably what IT stands for. Shouldn't she at least have a 6 months course from somewhere

Just starting out, outlook is excellent

Current Employee - Professional Development Program Associate in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The compensation and benefits at Unum are top-notch as many other reviewers have reported. However, I've found that it is the people at Unum (managers or otherwise) that make the experience at Unum great. The people I've met thus far are well grounded in reality. They will not forget that you are a person and not a machine. The Paid Time Off is incredible and the work environment is busy but supportive. It is easy to make friends, laugh with coworkers and still be productive.

Cons

Not all organizations within Unum are constantly advancing or coming up with innovative ideas. However, an insurance company does not need to be a cutting edge technology company. Projects may take longer than they should to complete in some organizations because there are many day-to-day tasks that trump special projects. This really isn't a con because there are parts of the business that just need to work. But if you are looking for rapid innovation don't join sectors that are about the day-to-day grind. Look for groups at Unum that develop strategy.

I have no complaints about the managers I've interacted with. Almost all are friendly or at least reasonable. There is plenty of communication between managers and direct reports.

Unum Disability department is a sweatshop for claims.

Former Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Portland, ME (US)
    Former Employee - Disability Benefits Specialist in Portland, ME (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I cant think of any

Cons

unrealistic work loads. Management has no concern for employees career path

Poor career opportunity

Former Employee - Low Level Associate
    Former Employee - Low Level Associate

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you want to live in Chattanooga or Portland this is pretty much your best chance for employment. The work life balance was nice, I never really had an issue where my mangers were not reasonable about an emergency or PTO request. The CEO is also a really nice guy and is very visible.

Cons

Pay is way below average (when I left and interviewed at other companies the interviewer actually laughed at what Unum was paying me). Benefits are really not that great like others say in their reviews, the overall employee base is just really unhealthy and old so when I left and compared my plans I was being shafted by being young and healthy. Also, if you are not a manager you really won't be one if you stay with this company. The company does have a management-training program, but it is still rare that someone who goes through that program actually moves up.

Pay your employees (not just your managers) a fair wage. You really need to look at how much say you let other mangers have in your hiring of mid to high level employees. The hand pick managers from previous managers just leads to a society of yes men and inhibits new thought processes. Lastly, invest in technology, when I was there you were still using systems from the 70's.

It's a job!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Portland, ME (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great culture, positive managers, solid company, amazing campus with plenty of extra teams and groups to join, overall very nice place to me.

Cons

The training programs on great and it's very easy to get stuck in one job for a long time unless you actively get out. They are easily the slowest company at making decisions ever. It took me a solid week or two before I could even get approved for applications...

Make a conscious effort to grow your employees, invest in them and they won't leave you for competitors that will.

Marketing Consultant

Current Employee - Marketing Consultant - Field Office in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Consultant - Field Office in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay for new college grad. Work-Life balance. Great training program.

Cons

Job title is a misrepresentation of what the job is really about. The job title is used to attract new college grads, but when hired, you learn the job wasn't what you were hired for. The field offices have different values and goals than home office so there is a disconnect between the two places when they should work together.

Management should be honest and upfront with employees on expectations.

Best place I ever worked

Former Employee - Information Technology
    Former Employee - Information Technology

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was great place to work. I can't tell you how much I learned and grew as a professional at UNUM. It's the best place I ever worked. I was a manager and I had a great group that reported to me, they were hardworking and professional 100% of the time. My peers were top notch and some of the best in the business, and even though I didn't see eye to eye with my director, he was a good manager.
    The pay was good, great vacation, flexible work arrangements, fantastic bonus, I can't say enough about how great it was working there. I must of suffered a "brain fart" when I decided to leave, because it was an awful decision on my part.

Cons

I hated the performance review process. You had to have a certain % in each bracket including "do not meets" which was awful. When you take time to work with people and put together a plan and they ALL are meeting or exceeding their plan, how are you going to pick someone to fall in this bracket just so your department is showing a bell curve for the performance plan Having to do this honestly keep me up at night. I spent time with my employees trying to help them develop and grow and then I had to pick someone just so I'm showing a poor performer even though they really weren't. This was a nightmare for me.

Drop the performance review curve and let the managers rate the employees on how they really perform. You have a lot more satisfied employees and the relationships between the employees and managers would be better.

Great customer focus and treats employees very well

Current Employee - Disability Benefit Specialist in Portland, ME (US)
    Current Employee - Disability Benefit Specialist in Portland, ME (US)

I have been working at Unum Group full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Unum has a genuine regard for their customers. The customer focused is highlighted throughout the company and is examplified by upper management. Each employee has a developmental plan that is reviewed and encouraged by managers. Unum has a great work environment with strong company values around family.

Cons

Because the company is so large, many positions are monotonous. However, there is much opportunity to grow in your career and switch positions which helps mitigate this problem.

Very Good Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME (US)

I worked at Unum Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Unum is very good at marketing their products and what they do for the community and employees.

Cons

Big company - many people in line for the same career promotion. Too big where it is harder to stand out than a smaller company.

Unum Group Photos

Unum Building, Chattanooga (Photo thanks to Flickr user Larry Miller, available under by-nc-nd v2.0)
Side of Unum building and part of parking lot during the snow storm we had a few weeks back. (Photo thanks to Flickr user Always, Erika with permission, All rights reserved.)

+ Add Photo