VCA Antech Reviews

Updated 18 August 2014

1.9

VCA Antech Chairman, President, and CEO Bob Antin
Bob Antin

Pros
  • Helping animals, used to have a great employee discount, employee pet feeding plan/discount, and free revolution for my cat (in 15 reviews)

• Working with animals and gaining experience in that field (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • As a hospital manager or medical director, you have to bend the rules to keep good employees and clients (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management is without morals or professional judgement , they have no soul (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Very good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bristol, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England

I have been working at VCA Antech

Pros

good relationships within company between senior management and staff

Cons

not very common approach across all offices

Well it was ok but....

Former Employee - Staff Accountant  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Staff Accountant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at VCA Antech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great environment, bring your dog to work, great people, great break room perks.

Cons

Ridiculously long hours when month end closing, no growth potential, never leave on time, supervisor have no idea how to train.

Please think of a better and efficient way to train new comers and make them grow. And think of the people on the bottom of the totem pole and think in their shoes and not the high executive point of view

Great company, but the pay isn't great.

Current Employee - Receptionist  in  Mission Viejo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Mission Viejo, CA (US)

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's a big company, so you are covered with all of you lunches and breaks.
    You can transfer to other VCA's across the country if you move.
    The discount is amazing if you have sick pets.

Cons

The pay isn't great. They expect a lot for a little. Hours can be hard to come by.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not worth staying long term.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at VCA Antech part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Working with animals and having a good relationship with coworkers.

Cons

For the most part VCA Denver employees are like a family. Employees here work very hard to keep clients happy. They stick together because deep down know that the corporation side of the business ignores what goes on. Year after year, employees work flexible shifts, deal with sometimes irate clients, are responsible for more than the job descriptions state and yet DO NOT GET RAISES. Benefits are offered, but most can not afford to pay into this. Discounts are given, but that too does not pay your bills. Trying to go overtime here is a no no. Some people work 40 hours a week here and part time somewhere else. What?! They shouldn't have to! It leaves very little time for their families. Most people come to work everyday and try to stay positive given the situation, but it gets very frustrating knowing no changes are made. Employees can't be the ones to make these changes. This has to start with Supervisors, Managers, Administration etc. The turnover rate is unlike anything I've ever seen before. This place has lost wonderful employees. Off the top of my head I'd say I've seen VCA Denver lose nearly 30-40 people a year. That is horrible. How is this even acceptable? For one reason, the hospital takes in many Bel Rea Institute Interns which is great for learning purposes but to a long term employee who has been their for years with no raise and decides to move on from the company, they don't feel valued. They are replaceable by students and forgotten about. It seems as if VCA does not even bother trying to keep anyone here and they are losing some really great people. Very sad.

Tech

Current Employee - Veterinary Technician  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Veterinary Technician in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay and benefits, that's pretty much it.

Cons

Upper management thinks so highly of themselves they fail to remember they are also human beings. They expect you to do tasks that they simply don't want to do, expecting you to drop anything your doing at the drop of a hat. Deppressing environment.

Maybe training would be a good idea for EVERYONE. Upper management needs to understand the world doesn't revolve around them and a team environment would be much more helpful. Also, hiring people who are just there for a check and don't really care cause the people who docare a lot more headache.

They are expensive and they do not pay well.

Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Veterinary Assistant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pet discount is great at 75% off.

Cons

The rate of pay is terrible even for the amount of experience I had. There is not really an opportunity to move up in the company.

Great but awful all at the same time.

Current Employee - EC Vet Tech  in  Warrensville Heights, OH (US)
    Current Employee - EC Vet Tech in Warrensville Heights, OH (US)

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time

Pros

Quality facility/equipment, knowledgeable doctors. Very caring staff. Try to do the right thing with the leniency we have for the pets and owners. Best pay in area for EC.

Cons

Management is poorly managed, lack of a better term. Attempts at micromanaging don't go over well. Complete disconnect from upper mgmt. New hires are not trained, just thrown to the wolves. It's is a corporation, run that way, money always comes before patient care, unless individual doctors take the risk and "break the rules".

Try harder to show that your employees matter. We are not just a number and a list of skill sets. Some skilled employees don't deserve the job, some unskilled ones are better workers that others will ever be.

Not paid what you're worth no matter how experienced or educated you are

Current Employee - Shift Supervisor  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Shift Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at VCA Antech full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with animals and gaining experience in that field. Chance to gain promotions but it is difficult and usually requires someone leaving their job post. Health care and 401 K for full time employees but if you make only $9 an hour it's a big chunk taken out of your already dismal paycheck.

Cons

Pay is terrible and you only get a raise once a year and it's not even a good one. Since the pay isn't very good you work with a lot of people right out of high school or people who don't care and are just there to get a pay check to have one. The cost of living is very high and they don't pay you enough to be able to live on your own even if you're full time. If you're a veterinarian then you're fine but people on the lower pay scale suffer.

Listen to employees concerns. Hire people with better experience and maturity. Be more proactive in letting the company heads know that we employees are worth more than what they give us. Employees who are educated and experienced should be treated as such and get the pay and perks they deserve. This would be a great company to work for if we were treated like we actually mattered.

It was a great team, although sometimes we were stretched thin.

Former Employee - Veterinary Medical Technician  in  Saratoga, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Veterinary Medical Technician in Saratoga, CA (US)

I worked at VCA Antech part-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good about paying overtime, decent time-off policies, schedules were, for the most part, accommodating to your personal life.

Cons

Felt short staffed at times.

More staff!

Complicated

Former Employee - Veterinary Technician  in  Franklin Park, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Veterinary Technician in Franklin Park, IL (US)

I worked at VCA Antech full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great staff, Veterinarians and great to work with and really care about the techs and the animals.

Cons

Dealing with management and higher ups is extremely difficult. Always walking on pins and needles because of them.

Put yourself in t=your "lower" employees shoes. Try and see things from their point of view.

Worked for VCA Antech? Contribute to the Community!