VMware

Updated Jul 26, 2014

3.4 1,262 reviews

VMware CEO Pat Gelsinger

Pat Gelsinger

Pros
  • There is a work life balance here that I have never had before(in 80 reviews)

• Great technology but now mostly not news in the marketplace(in 87 reviews)

Cons
  • Like all software companies work life balance can be a challenge(in 56 reviews)

• There is too much middle management that are not good managers (micro managers)(in 65 reviews)

1,262 Employee Reviews

Amazing & inspiring place to work in

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) Frimley, England

ProsTechnologically advanced, current leader in the IT technology industry, way ahead of competitors. Nice environment in Frimley, generally nice and helpful people all around!

ConsFeels that consultants are a bit isolated from each other and the company in general, more interaction and team work is needed.

Hope Diane going doesn't ruin it

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) London, England

ProsIt's fun and rewarding. Tests you but gives back as well.

ConsYou work hard and it can still be frustrating finding the 'right' person to talk to sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't change what Diane started. Staff will not take well to being more aggressive a'la EMC.

Invest in the people whilst we have the lead

Senior Consultant (Current Employee) London, England

ProsCustomers like to work with us, lots of opportunities for going in new directions.

ConsLack of support from management in terms of resource to make things happen... it's like you have to do it on your own, and what is stated as a priority by management is often not the way resources are allocated leading to conflict and paralysis.

Information management is abysmal, and lack of co-ordination across teams is laughable.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork better together and the rest of the company might do the same: and please FUND initiatives to match your words.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Challenging and satisfying.

Member of Technical Staff (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Prostechnology, domain, challenges, great work environment, extraordinary compensation and stock options.fair opportunity based on performance

Consinfrastructure, odd work timings due to cross geo establishment

Good pay but no career growth

Senior Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) Bangalore (India)

Pros1. Good Pay and benefits.
    2. Good work life balance (in R&D only)
    3. Located in nice location
    4. Flexible timing and some time WFH.

Cons1. You will not be growing technically which is not good in long term.
    2. Managers are immature and don't know how to handle team.
    3. You will raise the ladder if you know how to do buttering.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppoint some sensible guys as managers.

VMware was a great place to work!

Recruiter (Former Employee)

ProsThe best thing about VMware is the people. Low ego, down to Earth, smart people. People who have gotten over themselves and are interested in working together. Challenging problems - an infrastructure company like VMware is solving the problems of massively scalable services that much of computing/the web will be based on for years to come.

ConsMay not pay as much as competitors. Like all software companies work life balance can be a challenge. Getting new ideas implemented takes some time.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the fluff and BS bureaucracy. Keep it about the work and those who are getting done, as opposed to the people who look busy.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd still work here as long as I did. I would just avoid any contact with HR.

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsSuper smart people in all organizations. Really good products.

Great benefits.

Good training, but needs to scale to be as powerful as an organization of our current size.

ConsIf you don't work out of the Palo Alto campus, you won't get all the great perks like free concerts and beer bashes.

Too many upper management/executive hires in the past few years have turned this into EMC, which is detrimental innovation and independence.

If you have to work directly with HR, I have found that without exception, they are the most horrible, uncaring people on the planet. In hiring, onboarding, and other employment tasks, they have offered no value, hindering the process and making it a terrible experience for the employee and manager. I don't know how true that is for other large companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeef up training, especially on the technical side. Too many people have to fight for too few hands-on classes, among others.

Good company to work with

Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) Cork (Ireland)

ProsValues the professional, gives loads of training, recognizes effots

ConsNot really high salary though

Sr Business System Analyst

Senior Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsGood work and committed team members.

ConsMultiple release every month in IT

Tech leader - diverse experiences

Director, Product Marketing (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA (US)

ProsLearned a lot - grew tons both personally and professionally. The company brand has opened a lot of doors for me.

ConsHard to drive decisions to closure sometimes. As they got bigger, there was a question of where new innovation would come from.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage more risk-taking, consider outside-in thinking and cultivate a renewed focus on innovation.

Worked for VMware? Contribute to the Community!