VMware

www.vmware.com

Give power to the growth engines, before we stall!

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great strategy, fast reacting at a high level. Huge amount of opportunity with our customers. Great technology that delivers value more rapidly.

Cons

Outdated/outscaled operational and management model. Distriution/channell management mentality with limited understanding on how to help customers transform their IT.

Frontline people are the engines that make this plane continue to rise. Stop adding load without giving more power to the engines. As much as execs want to pull the stick up, the only result will be a stall. And understand that customer's need help to get value out of complex solutions. That menas a better focus on services.

Like Tech Companies should be

Current Employee - General Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - General Manager in London, England

I have been working at VMware full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Culture is fantastic and a willingness to listen

Cons

Complex mix of products means it is hard to understand priorities and customers are yet to comprehend company is more than server virtualisation

Understand the complexity of what we have to do now and in the future is orders of magnitude more complex than previously

Great products, great people, awful management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frimley, England
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frimley, England

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great products, great engineering, great culture. VMware is getting to be a beast of a company but it's still overall a good place to work. Underpromise and overdeliver is the unofficial motto, and the rabid customer fan base shows it. This company shows great promise for employees even with revenues in the multiple billions now.

Cons

You do NOT want to work for this company anywhere in the Europe/UK&Ire region. APJ and AMER have it really good - colleagues from those regions almost universally love it. In the UK it operates as a completely different organisation and management/HR (which covers all of Europe as well) is appaulingly terrible to deal with. There is also very little upward mobility opportunity in the UK office and middle management is deeply engrained.

Carefully examine the job performance of everyone at the director level and above in EMEA in every group. Someone (or more than one someone) is rotten and needs replaced.

Amazing & inspiring place to work in

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Frimley, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Frimley, England

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Technologically advanced, current leader in the IT technology industry, way ahead of competitors. Nice environment in Frimley, generally nice and helpful people all around!

Cons

Feels that consultants are a bit isolated from each other and the company in general, more interaction and team work is needed.

Hope Diane going doesn't ruin it

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in London, England

I have been working at VMware

Pros

It's fun and rewarding. Tests you but gives back as well.

Cons

You work hard and it can still be frustrating finding the 'right' person to talk to sometimes.

Don't change what Diane started. Staff will not take well to being more aggressive a'la EMC.

Invest in the people whilst we have the lead

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in London, England

I have been working at VMware

Pros

Customers like to work with us, lots of opportunities for going in new directions.

Cons

Lack of support from management in terms of resource to make things happen... it's like you have to do it on your own, and what is stated as a priority by management is often not the way resources are allocated leading to conflict and paralysis.

Information management is abysmal, and lack of co-ordination across teams is laughable.

Work better together and the rest of the company might do the same: and please FUND initiatives to match your words.

VMware in Cork is a fantastic place to work. Very exciting, dynamic environment.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Cork (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Cork (Ireland)

I worked at VMware

Pros

The company continues to grow so there are plenty of opportunities for career development.

Cons

Good time management skills required to ensure good work life balance

In general, VMware rocks. I am proud to say I work for this company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than a year)

Pros

* Fully-stocked break room full of free drinks and snacks. Bagel/breakfast taco Wednesday is awesome.
    * Smart group of techies that are able to solve almost any challenge with ease.
    * Management sees the work done and actively gives "attaboys".
    * Communication through any customer issues are done to the entire org, which is nice.
    * We all work as a team for a common goal - success to the customer.
    * We offer products to better our customers worlds, as well as our own.
    * Direct access to VMware developers can help make VMware customers have an optimal experience with the code before it hits "GA" status. We are our own beta testers of service provider code.
    * Again, we all believe in the common goal. For ourselves and our customers.

Cons

* New solutions come through the pipe so quick that sometimes issues happen during deployment to production environments. This impacts customers. See "Advice to Management".

* Slow down. We can't save the world on a daily basis. Take the time to properly develop solutions so customers have an optimal experience.

Great place to work

I have been working at VMware full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

work life balance, great technologies

Cons

stock benefits are not much

MTS Intern

I worked at VMware

Pros

Great place to work and having fun

Cons

I didnt find many cons though