Valmont Industries Reviews

Valmont Industries Chairman and CEO Mogens C. Bay
Mogens C. Bay

1. Great Company, Behind the Times

I worked at Valmont Industries

Pros

-Hard working people
    -Good Pay and Benefits
    -Good facilities
    -Good location

Cons

-Lack innovation
    -Engineering leadership is poor
    -React to the competition
    -Bonuses are poor
    -Don't keep promises

Advice to Management

Most of the management is solid. There are some managers that shouldn't be in there current positions. Engineering management is more of a dictatorship, so new ideas are not encouraged unless management comes up with them.

2. Good atmosphere with a small company feel

I have been working at Valmont Industries

Pros

People are professional and cooperative. All levels of management are focused on making employment at Valmont rewarding and beneficial.

Cons

On boarding process could be improved.

3. Great Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tulsa, OK (US)

I have been working at Valmont Industries

Pros

I have been here over 1 1/2 years in an admin position at a branch office building and designing electrical structures. It's been a great job. While it has gotten stressful at times due to increases in work load while growing, the people I work with are extremely helpful and everyone seems to have an open door for questions or just to discuss. The work is taken seriously and it is very rewarding to see the finished product as you drive down the road. The job is stable since people will always need electricity and there is opportunity for advancement.

Cons

We are growing- at least at my branch and often there is a lot of work to be done. This is wonderful because it means you are always busy, but it also gets to be a bit much at times. Not a deal breaker by any means in my opinion, but it is something to be aware of. It also means that other people can get a bit stressed and snappy, but I think most people here try not to share that.

Advice to Management

Training in some of the smaller departments could be improved upon.

This job is like getting waterboarded

Current Employee - Welder in Brenham, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Welder in Brenham, TX (US)

I have been working at Valmont Industries

Pros

There really aren't many pay is ok if u like spending 60 hrs plus at work

Cons

Too much to list company is top heavy management has downs syndrome

Advice to Management

Resign

6. Talk safety, but production is pushed

Current Employee - Paint Associatr in Elkhart, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Paint Associatr in Elkhart, IN (US)

I have been working at Valmont Industries

Pros

Good benefits, above average pay.

Cons

A awful lot of backstabbing and disrespecting co workers.

Advice to Management

Appreciate all workers and team members and show it .

7. Employee

I have been working at Valmont Industries

Pros

Good company to work for, great benefits and a strong group of people to work with at the McCook site.

Cons

Company needs to work on be one instead of seperate.

8. Wonderful, growing company

I have been working at Valmont Industries full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Valmont has a great reputation in the areas it serves, and for good reason. Many employees are here for 20-40 years and even after they retire, some have come back as tour guides who take people around the site and talk about Valmont's operations and its history. Employees are treated well and given plenty of opportunities to develop and contribute to the company and the community.

Cons

The helth insurance is Blue Cross Blue Shield, so I had to find a new doctor. Also, the cafeteria in Valley does not always serve the most appetizing meals.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop and invest in the employees you have now. Those will be the ones who stick around for 20-40 years and retire with the company.

9. Serving the world

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at Valmont Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Valmont is a great organization to work for. Most importantly, I love what we do. We serve the world - from water conservation through mechanized irrigation to infrastructure development through light poles, traffic structures, wireless communication towers and components, guard rails, walk systems, utility transmission towers and many more everyday things we tend to take for granted. I'm proud to work for a conservative organization that knows where we do our best work and continues to stay the course year after year.

Cons

Growing pains of fast and global growth have made it hard to keep up with good, frequent employee communication, process standardization and intentional development of talent. There is work to do, but it can and will be done.

Advice to Management

Management needs to continue to focus on collaboration and development of leadership around the world. Strong leaders inspire strong companies. Communication is key!

10. Glad I'm not working in the oil industry!

Current Employee - Texas
    Current Employee - Texas

I have been working at Valmont Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits. There are opportunities to move up if you want to put in more hours. Good welder training available. Like my co-workers.

Cons

The incentives could be better.

Valmont Industries has strong sales and operations in USA. VWCE is lacking in sales and manufacturing capital support.

Former Employee - Production in Barrie, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Production in Barrie, ON (Canada)

I worked at Valmont Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong culture, somewhat good management with good people skills. Good salary package and average industry benefit. Good profit sharing bonus program , minimum 1%, maximum 5% which are paid twice a year for Canadian division.

Cons

Due to several merger and acquisition of companies, Valmont falls short on business strategy and alignment. The KPIs are stricly on sales and net operating profit (10%). The other not so important KPI's are on-time delivery, conversion cost, productivity and safety. The Canadian division usually gets the shortest straw in profit margin due to lack of sales and high overhead. As a result of this shortcoming, the upper management for Cdn divisions usually terminate and lay off indirect labor with higher salary, irrespective of the impact to the overall business and workflow. Huge lack of trust between floor employees and management, especially within Canadian division. The sins from the past doesn't help the cause either.

Advice to Management

Focus on business strategy and hiring. For VWCE, don't keep hiring people if you don't see them as a true long term investment for the company. Don't hire educated and highly knowledgeable individuals and let them go when the business is stagnant in sales and operating profit. VWCE eliminated few important positions such as QA Manager, Sales Manager, Safety Coordinator/Manager, manufacturing engineer, engineering designers due to lack of understanding and short term expectations for these positions. The phrase coined by the management, "if you ain't burning, you ain't earning". That means every positions other than welders, inside sales, customer service, order entry, office receptionist (who orders food for sales meeting and make coffee every morning) are insignificant and no so important, only short term strategies.
    Keep the overhead low. Keep the capacity in control. Help other division to enhance sales rather than giving them enough rope to hang on. Don't keep buying out companies and close them after 5-6 years due lack of 10% operating profit and sales. Invest in new machinery, equipment and training for Canadian Lighting and Communications Structures manufacturing plant especially in Barrie, Delta and Ferndale WA.

RSS Feed </> Embed