Vanguard

Vanguard Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb

William McNabb

Pros:
  • "They also strive to give you a work/life balance and are very liberal"
    in 96 reviews
  • "The company offers great benefits, work life balance, and retirement package"
    in 53 reviews
Cons:
  • "site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones"
    in 11 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company with great benefits, great people, and great values

Line Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Terrific benefits; I can't believe I get 5 weeks paid vacation, 14% 401k match/contribution, and health insurance that costs $60/month. What
- By and large, terrific people who care about each other and our clients
- I fully believe in the values and culture of this company, something that is rare in finance
- Love how supportive the company is of making lateral moves to other roles, departments, and even careers
- If you can develop a mentor who believes in you, it will prove tremendously helpful

Cons- Getting promoted relies tremendously on who you know; this seems to carry more weight than how well you actually do your job.
- For all the talk of getting more women in leadership, I don't see a ton of progress in this area. It's going to take way more than "you go girl!" speeches to make this tightly buttoned culture more open toward people who look and think differently than the tall, white males who primarily run the company.
- I've been lucky that most of the people I've worked with have been top notch. However, I have encountered a couple who really just stink at their jobs. I wonder how it is that their managers don't see this.

Advice to Senior Management- I see people who came in through special programs (VADP, MBA, AFP) and are automatically put on the talent watch lists. This means they get way more opportunities than others, some of whom are actually a lot better than the people in the special programs. My advice: make a way for people who are not on the talent watch lists to get noticed and give them a chance to earn a spot on the talent lists.
- Please, please make it easier to work from home for those of us who work in client-facing groups

Customer Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits, good people, claim to embrace diversity, no lay offs, good paid time off, large stable company that is growing

Conslow pay, not a lot of opportunity for advancement, very youth oriented i.e. not many people advancing if they are over 50,

Advice to Senior ManagementIf VG is so transparent and investor oriented, why not publish what the CEO and officers earn? Public companies make that disclosure. Vanguard is owned by its shareholders but its owners (i.e. shareholders) don't know what they are paying their employees i.e. CEO etc. Also pay your employees a better wage. Vanguard wants to be a leader in the financial industry but they are very tight with the purse strings i.e. wages, computers, web site, etc.

Overall good. Gets kind of old after a while. It starts to feel like this weird overly sanitized church after a while.

Quality Assurance Associate (Current Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPay is decent, annual bonus is awesome, 401k matching, benefits, etc. are all good. Easy to get promoted if you work hard and make connections.

ConsYou have to be extremely politically correct at all times which gets very old after a while. Think, elevator conversation pretty much a lot. Everyone is kind of in this happy fake positive mood all the time and it gets super annoying after a while.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot sure, management is perfect overall, that is why it gets annoying, because you can't have an actual real conversation. They are all like robot droids.

Good.

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people there are great.

ConsMicro management from top down.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep great values.

For the most part, my time with vanguard was exceptionally good.

Flagship Assigned Representative (Former Employee)
Valley Forge, PA (US)

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

Prosthe benefits and retirement plans were among the best in the business.

ConsAge discrimination blocks all but the lucky few from advancing to senior level management. Many older employees lives have been made miserable in order that they would quit and a younger, less expensive crew member take their job.

Advice to Senior Managementupper management is an elitist group of ivy educated white, wasp males who already have all the answers and won't require your imput.

Promotions await you if you are under 30 - not so much if you are older

I have been working at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsDecent benefits
Nice 401k
Reitirement contributions each quarter
Lots of PTO

ConsSevere lack of advancement potential for anyone 30 years of age or older, regardless of experience or ability to do the job.

Pay is lower than other firms

Any movement to other positions - even lateral moves - requires one to go through extensive interviews and far too much emphasis is put on how well you can interview instead of what actual job skilks you bring to the table or past experience outside of Vanguard

Advice to Senior ManagementScale back VADP at least a little bit. Recent college grads with little to no business experience are flowing into virtually all open management positions at record pace creating a serious lack of diversity in the leadership team. Give more seasoned (aka older) tenured employees some opportunities too! They can offer a lot if given the chance.

Processing Assocaite

I have been working at Vanguard full-time

ProsTraining, Benefits, Time off, over time, perks

Consmorale in some areas, some management

So So

Client Retail Specialist (Current Employee)
Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsBenefits, Coworkers, Surroundings, Direct Reports, Building

ConsCulture, Compensation, Supervisors, Upper Management, Disrespect of employees

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement disregards any feedback

Great place to work if you hate making money and are not a white male over 40.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than a year

ProsVanguard is honestly a legit, cool, nice company to work for. One of the VERY VERY rare instances where they do what they say they will. Of all the financial institutions I worked at, Vanguard was the best. Great matching to your 401K, decent benefits, amazing amount of time off to start (almost stayed for this alone) and smart leaders.

ConsThe pay is an absolute joke. Having an extensive financial background and education, I made $20,000 less a year than the average starting salary of someone with only my degree. It's miserably low and you'll track that low for the rest of your career if you stay at Vanguard.

The job is basically an assembly line feeling job. Either paperwork or phone calls. Don't let them fool you, Vanguard is basically one massive call center. All your phone calls are monitored and recorded. You'll be hit with calls from the second you log on until the second you log off. Believe me, they track every second of everything you do every single day.

Make even the tiniest mistake and your numbers will reflect that. They expect literally darn near 100% accuracy with 99% inaccurate paperwork with massively confusing guidelines all under very quick expected times. What is massively confusing? I'm talking literally thousands of pages of guidelines in an archaic electronic form. So as long as you're 100% accurate completing everything quickly, you'll have a good shot at keeping your job at Vanguard. You must work at a frantic pace literally looking at every page of a 400 page request. One missed page could mean 100s of errors which each count against you individually.

One thing I noticed constantly was Vanguards attempt to be "inclusive" meaning that if you were not a white male, you were given special treatment. Looking at someone race or gender in any professional capacity is racism in my opinion. If you are not a white male, the sky is the limit at Vanguard.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking a persons race and sex into consideration. It should be the best PERSON for the job. Not the best African American Female.

Better place to invest than work!

RFP Writer (Former Employee)

I worked at Vanguard full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat training, job security, lovely suburban campus, short work week(37.5 hrs but most work less)

ConsSlow career progression, low pay, politics, group think, far too many layers of management, micromanagement!

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees not just what their supervisors managers senior managers principal think they know.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!

Vanguard – Why Work for Us?

In 1975, a small but uniquely structured mutual fund company came into being. More than a quarter-century later, Vanguard is internationally known for exceptional client service and the highest-value products in the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Vanguard reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Vanguard CEO William McNabb. All 595 reviews are posted anonymously by Vanguard employees.