Vanguard

Updated 13 August 2014

3.2

Vanguard Chairman and CEO William McNabb
William McNabb

Pros
  • Work/life balance is a priority as you don't work crazy hours and get a lot of vacation time (in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits and opportunities to build your toolbox in your chosen career path (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • site locations offer very little job growth opportunities outside of basic call center positions (in 44 reviews)

• Good work/life balance for some people, but not if your on the phones (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

15 years down the drain

Former Employee - Client Service Associate  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Client Service Associate in Malvern, PA (US)

Pros

PTO policy is decent for starting out, plus you can deduct from your weekly pay in order to add time. 401k matching investment plan is good

Cons

After 15 years of doing everything that was ever asked of me (quite well at that - I regularly received awards from management and coworkers), I was nitpicked and harassed to the point that I took advantage of the early retirement. The abuse was so bad that on several occasions I needed medical attention for anxiety. (My supervisor KNEW that I was suffering PTSD from a car accident).
    Vanguard might be an ok place for someone starting out, but if you're and older person who's been there for years, you will be driven out in favor of younger (cheaper) new hires. They get around their no layoff policy by treating people like dirt to make them quit.
    I wouldn't recommend anyone staying at VG more than 5-6 years. After that, take your skills where you'll be appreciated.
    When I received my 'retirement' gift in the mail, I sent it back to them.That's how disgusted I am with them, but I'm sure they really don't care. They didn't while I worked for them.

Stop giving kids just out of college management positions! One of my managers admitted that it was her first real job. How could anyone think this is a good idea? Inexperienced, immature, pulling the same kind of games that don't belong in junior high school, let alone a professional corporation

UI Developer

Pros

A lot of technical and leadership training available. Gives you access to multiple functional roles outside of just being a developer.

Cons

Just like any well established company, growth may be hard to come by at VG. However, they try their best to elevate ppl. But there is only so much you can do when you have so many employees but only a select few leadership roles.

Great Company

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Valley Forge, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Valley Forge, PA (US)

Pros

Mobility and Job opportunities for those who are motivated. Culture is extremely strong and supportive.

Cons

Decisions are made by committee. That gets frustrating at times. Some leaders care more about their own career than those that work for them.

Trust your employees. They are the experts.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technical Analyst

Pros

Great company. Benefits are very good. Most managers are concerned about the people working for them and try to give a good work life balance

Cons

Salary package is not competitive as compared to other companies
    But considering the benefits and other incentives the over all package is not bad at all.

Promotions are very difficult. Many youngsters in IT department have left the company because they got better offers in different companies. Vanguard needs to reward the hard working people and appreciate them.

Fund Financial Associate

Current Employee - Fund Financial Associate  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Fund Financial Associate in Malvern, PA (US)

Pros

Corporate Culture, Work-Life Balance and a Positivie Learning Environment

Cons

Pay - You could be getting paid a lot more for your skills

Best to place to work in IT

Current Employee - Senior Developer  in  Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Malvern, PA (US)

Pros

Great work-life balance, leadership and lot of opportunities to learn new technologies

Cons

Low pay and not many promotions

Vanguard

Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Problem Resolution Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)

Pros

Pto..benefits..fitness center. Academic reimbursement. First shift hours only

Cons

Limited flexibility and call center related jobs. Some team leader s micro manage.

Great Company , AWESOME Pay

Former Employee - Communication Associate  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Communication Associate in Charlotte, NC (US)

Pros

I loved working for Vanguard... They company is awesome and advancement was easy

Cons

It was difficult for me to pass my series exams at first.

Keep up the great work!

If you are career driven this is not your place

Current Employee - Processing Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Processing Associate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

Pros

As much as I dislike working for vanguard there are some positives.. This is such a slow paces conservative company that it would be nearly impossible to get fired from most of the positions that you would get hired from externally. The benefits are not bad but I've had better at my two companies prior to VG. Vanguard is also a profit sharing company and partnership time is a lot of fun and normally you get a decent sized bonus/partnership.. I can't think a whole lot more

Cons

Any non-exempt position you're only scheduled 27.5 hours a week... why is this bad? First it is simply a direct pay cut.. They sell it as "oh we care about your life at home", nonsense. Which means when overtime is available to work(which is only year end and tax season) the company saves themselves loads of money by not having to pay overtime till you hit that 40 hours. My salary is lacking an additional 4 or 5K because of this.. Management is really hit and miss. Some of them are good and some are horrendous. They don't hire externally which means people will get switched in divisions with in VG and will get promoted without any experience in a division. The biggest issue for me is career growth. Once you hit a certain labor grade they will start expecting you to horizontally move instead of climbing the ladder. Horizontal movement is a direct contradictive to our company's strengths.

Great company - for the investor

Current Employee - Client Relations Associate  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Client Relations Associate in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

Pros

Vanguard has extremely great values and company culture. Their at-cost investing is a formula for success. The work-life balance is exceptional and from year 1, you are afforded 18 days of paid time off which is pro-rated going forward. Benefits are phenomenal as well. Vanguard is a great place to start your career especially if you're a fresh college grad. They teach you so much about the industry and even pay for your Series 7 and 63. Vanguard even has CFA and CFP programs.

Cons

As a direct result of low cost investing, compensation is low. Compared to competitors in the industry, employees are paid slightly below the average. There is a lot of lateral movement within the company. It takes time to move up and even after you move up, your salary is not much greater than what you were making in your previous position.

Worked for Vanguard? Contribute to the Community!