Veeco Instruments

Be The First To
Add Photos

Veeco Instruments CEO and Director John R. Peeler

John R. Peeler

Good place to tread water

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Veeco Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood pay and benefits and great technology. Broadly skilled employees provide a friendly work environment. Profit sharing program is very generous.

ConsLittle opportunity for advancement or career development. Leadership is cliquey. Organization Is top heavy and good ideas lay fallow due to lack of resources to execute.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus the organization outwardly. Too much time and energy is spent internally. You should remove at least 1 layer of middle management to improve communication

Great people, challenging work, hard to advance

I have been working at Veeco Instruments

ProsGreat group of individuals to work with. Challenging work and always supported to learn new skills. Feel welcomed and great atmosphere for team driven work.

ConsHard to find opportunities to advance in the company without PHD. Feels like lots of management for an equivalent number of workers at times.

Awesome

I have been working at Veeco Instruments

ProsTechnology that is changing the world, excellent leadership team that manages the business well, very smart, dedicated coworkers, market leadership in every product category, advancement opportunities, high-performance culture.

ConsThis is the capital equipment business, where volatility is expected. You've got to roll with the changes in direction and strategy and be flexible. Contribute to solutions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication, transparency, and leadership by example. Keep up the great work.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

"Stay away"

Engineer (Current Employee)
Plainview, NY (US)

I have been working at Veeco Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsThe only good thing is that you may learn something about the tools. It may help you to get a job on the customer side, hopefully.

ConsFirst of all, they don't have formal training even safety training. Too many layers in management, your manager screens information keeping you in the dark, therefore there is no way you get the bigger picture so that you don't have a way to innovate. Also on the other hand, all the credit is taken by your manager and when it is time to lay off people, you manager can get you out easily. This kind of culture kills all the creativity. That is also why they have a lot of projects, few of them are successful. They don't care about your career at all. When the stock market is screwed, it is time for you to move on. It is also a place racially divided. All the management do is acquiring. There is not much long-term new ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe are human beings, not just a number, or numbers. Treat people as people please.

Average Experience

Process Technology Intern (Current Employee)
Somerset, NJ (US)

I have been working at Veeco Instruments as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe people are very nice. You learn from the experienced individuals in the field. The work was interesting, kept you involved.

ConsEnvironment is boring, quiet. Many meetings but not too many solutions. Many have a very thick accent, sometimes hard to understand.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep a consistent pace.

Great technology to learn. Very hardworking and dedicated team!

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)
Fremont, CA (US)

I have been working at Veeco Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsAn awesome learning experience, a great team.

Conslong work hours sometimes. Need more staff to distribute the work load

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to improve in covering the market segment for effectively

Great internship experience.

Engineering Intern (Former Employee)
Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I worked at Veeco Instruments part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat experience in the optics field

ConsVery large company, not much one on one mentoring

Mistake

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Veeco Instruments full-time for more than a year

ProsGood salaries with good incentive plan when business is doing well, competitive benefits, very smart Engineering team who are passionate about what they do

ConsLots of change in leadership and in company direction, poor communication, very short sighted with business strategy, tons of turnover and constant layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage with your teams and listen to their feedback, communicate more frequently and honestly, enforce the values and culture you talk about

Painful...

I have been working at Veeco Instruments full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat pay and bonus program..

ConsManagement! Not 'work class' or 'state of the art' need overall from top to bottom or the future will bring doom...

Advice to Senior ManagementGet smart! Take some action! Replace the far too many VPs, Sr. Directors/Directors we have, the layers of management are not efficient, consolidate the business entities it's a drain on resources and travel the operational budgets are too high for the size company Veeco is or wants to be, the operations and supply chain organizations are out of the stone ages. Hold the leaders of these areas accountable!

future for high tech career

Senior Research Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at Veeco Instruments full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHigh Tech company with lots of new technology, and working hard to make the top runner. Most people work for technology related engineering without too much paper work.

ConsToo fast transition in market and need to follow up all changes with limited resources. requires additional work as sacrificing with less family time.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to keep morality and good motivation without burning out.

Worked for Veeco Instruments? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Veeco Instruments reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Veeco Instruments CEO John R. Peeler. All 33 reviews are posted anonymously by Veeco Instruments employees.