ViXS

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sally J. Daub

Sharing my two cents

Senior Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI joined the company in March 2001, and now the senior director of algorithms team. With this information, many ViXS employees may know who I am.
There are very different opinions about the company here in the glass door website, and I’m feeling very sad to see those bad ones. But I can understand some of them: He or she has been working very hard for the past a few years, but ViXS is not doing as great as expected yet.
I think it’s normal that any company has ups and downs. But what shall we do? My suggestion is: follow your heart. For those of you who are unhappy, please let me quote from a friend of mine, who has also left, “I've made many friends for life here at ViXS”, maybe it’s a good time to move on and find a better opportunity, you have my best wishes. And for those of you who have faith in the company, keep up your spirits, ViXS depends on you.
With the very successful HEVC decoder release and promising chips in the roadmap, I have confidence.

ConsThere was a big layoff in Feb 2013, but the worst time has passed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the morale of the employees

Software Engg

I have been working at ViXS

ProsAs per me, it's none.

ConsThere are many resons to list.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood company to work for... sometimes stressful

This company is managed like a mom 'n pop shop

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThis company is managed like a mom 'n pop shop where one makes all the ad hoc decisions and others sit in the corner yelling to get their way (unsuccessfully though). They have made a joke of what could have been a great Canadian success story. After 13 years of repeated failures, no one seems to have learned any lessons. They focus on the bare minimum survival to keep padding their own pockets for as long as possible.

ConsMultiple architects quit recently to protest against the executives' unethical behavior. Most of us who are left are not motivated, most would rather focus on their kids, houses and mortgages. Some are smart enough to even start their own real estate business on the side.

Recent town-hall meeting reinforced the idea that management does not care about the company or the employees. The entire update lasted less than 2 minutes with absolutely no discussion of the technology road map because there is none. They keep making claims of future revenue with absolutely no proof.

New immigrants looking for their first job in Canada are hired as replacements to keep the existing employees' wages at rock bottom. Focus is on quantity (headcount) rather than quality. Consequently morale of the current employees suffers even further. Given a choice, most skilled employees will quit this company in a heartbeat like the architects who already did.

Advice to Senior ManagementSell the company. Current executives are too much vested in their own interests to make good decisions. The board needs to step in and make some hard decisions. Investors need to ask for details and proof. An independent audit of q3 books will provide enough ammunition to move ahead.

A Company with a lot of potential!

I have been working at ViXS full-time

ProsUpper management made a lot of good decisions to bring the company to this level. I trust their ability to execute when the right opportunities come. Unfortunately there are not many in this space these days.

ConsMorale is not as good as a couple years ago when the company was doing great. I believe it takes time to turn this around.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess micro-management. More trust on your employees.

Management focuses on squeezing every bit of you.

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsColleagues are friendly and smart. Opportunity to work on the latest technologies. Good stepping stone for gaining experience to join a larger employer later.
Flexible working hours.

ConsUpper management takes advantage of staff. When they go IPO at a low price, they ask you to sign a voluntary paper to convert your higher price options to lower exercising price options, but your options vesting year resets to the current year. That means the number of options you can vest is the same as a new hire, even after working here for many years. Why not just keep the same vesting date? Why take back the options already vested to you?

The bonus given to staff is also a joke. It's just a small bonus, yet they ask you to agree that you must stay here for the next year else they take back the amount from you. C'mon, If people want to quit, no one cares about such a tiny amount anyway.

Managers commit to unrealistic timeline to you without discussing with you first. When you can't make the deadline, they blame you. There is also no appreciation from management even if you work very hard to meet the impossible deadline.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop taking advantage of your staff and when you give out options and bonuses, please be more generous and don't ask people to sign "retention agreement". It is just a tiny reward not huge investment bank bonuses!

Give out more information to your employees and stop hiding information. We are not dumb.

If you want to keep growing, you need to trust your employees. Do not micro-manage everything. Delegate to a good manager you trust.

If you're reading this website, please consider the negative reviews here seriously, rather than asking people to write fake positive reviews here.

Very rewarding experiences working at ViXS

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 8 years

ProsA leading company in the field with awareness of environment and social conscience; very good working environment; friendly and cooperative team workers; excellent management by caring leaders; flexible working hours; good salary and compensation

ConsSometimes having to work around the clock to resolve an emergency situation may make you feel tedious; you may also have to occasionally adjust your working hours to a different time zone to work with people overseas

Management is very focused and smart

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey focus on squeezing every bit out of their employees. They are smart to layoff no more than 50 employees at a time to avoid announcing publicly. They are so good in making themselves to believe in their own lies and forcing the employees to support them. They have the guts to ask employees to write positive reviews here. Shameless.

ConsAll cons from the previous reviews are very true. Positive reviews are written either by forced employees or senior management themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeechless. Hopeless.

Troubled company with no leadership

Technical Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at ViXS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMost people are friendly and smart. There is a lot of good technology in software and hardware.

ConsWhere to begin. We lost a lot of friends and smart people during last few years because of layoffs. The company could not sell because it decided to concentrate on shrinking high-end markets. The company had to go public to bring in cash, and stock price has stagnant since then.

Then VP's, achitects, CFO and other key people quit. We were over 300 people to now just 100. We do not have enough talent or people to make another product. The pay here is below average - read other reviews here.

Mean while last financial report shows that the executives are giving themselves more salary and bonuses - see what our CEO got last year because they can not hide in financial report. See what other executives got. Why do they get huge bonuses and pay when our company is doing so bad and have to do lay offs?

The morale is terrible but the executives do not know or do not care to find out about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up before it is too late but I'm afraid it is already too late. CEO, stop taking your pet dog to work and letting it run around the office. It is not your play ground.

horrible company. conning customers, employees and investors

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at ViXS full-time for more than a year

Prosthey paid the salary on time, that is about the only positive thing I can say, and that is only because of the 20 word minimum required

Consthe management is worried only about its survival, and I believe people who wrote that the last positive reviews were fake, as suddenly there is a ton of extremely positive reviews about it in a very short time. The company is a mess. The execution is terrible, the chips don't work and there are full of bugs. The last chip was delayed by almost 2 years, and I'm sure it's full of bugs as the previous. Their marketing is shamelessly telling stories to customers, the management doesn't involve employees in anything, people are working on projects without knowing anything about them. Sally Daub barely shows up to work, and no one ever sees here there. The management in Vixs reminds the lords in ancient England while the employees are the peasants. They layoff people very easily and hire people for low salaries, or non at all, telling them it's a trial period when they have no intention of keeping them after the trial period.
When they were close to running out of cash a year ago, they laid off as many employees as they could and went on an IPO, telling nice stories to investment companies about the company outlook, when actually customers were leaving them, and the whole thing they did was try and keep the existing customers, which most were very unsatisfied at the time I used to work there. The company has no methodologies, no documentation, no order, and they are busy putting out fires all the time, and that is why they work their employees so hard because of all the crisis's they have.
When I started working there I couldn't believe that a company can last so many years the way they are working, but I thought that there may be something I don't understand, but after a while there I realized that all they do is just find new suckers every time that put money into the company, and all that matters to the senior management is to keep the company alive so that they could suck more high salaries from it as long as they can.
If I was an investor in the company I would run away with my money as far as possible, Vixs is a definite short, it has no long term plan, it's just shooting in all direction hoping to hit something when it's way out of its league, and therefor will always lose on all fronts.

Advice to Senior Managementnothing will help, because the management doesn't really care, they just want to keep the company live as long as possible

Terrible company, employees get nothing and don't even know it.

Engineer (Former Employee)
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at ViXS full-time for less than a year

ProsCan't think of any.

Cons1. Terrible management. There is absolutely NO policy.
2. Executives only do things that benefit themselves. Disregards the rest of the company.
3. No matter how hard employees work, there are no incentives/praises to motivate you. It's either you work or you leave.
4. Most management have a temper issue. Constant yelling is heard around the office.
5. They are also telling people to write fake reviews here to bring up the rating.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink for the people who work for you. It's not always about the you or the money.

Worked for ViXS? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at ViXS reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for ViXS CEO Sally J. Daub. All 41 reviews are posted anonymously by ViXS employees.