W.W. Grainger

W.W. Grainger Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan

Jim Ryan

Pros
  • Cohesive Strategy integrated throughout the company, Great Benefits (Profit Sharing (in 115 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case (in 13 reviews)

• Middle and upper management was very disappointing (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Senior Planning Analyst (Current Employee) Lake Forest, IL (US)

ProsI believe that the work I do makes a difference. Leadership is open to new ideas; there's tolerance and understanding that trying new ideas sometimes results in mistakes. Leadership seems consistent from what they say to what they do. I feel good about going to work each day.

ConsTypical corporate politics, IT department going through massive change

Advice to Senior ManagementShare IT strategy with the internal business customers

Awesome company

Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsGenerous PTO
    Profit Sharing is great!
    Ability to grow within company
    Having many many resources available at all times
    The company genuinely cares about you
    Great co workers and people, the culture is full of employees who are like minded individuals

ConsIf you don't live in the Illinois region, there are not too many jobs for you to go other than sales.
    Seems to be a good amount of turnover in the sales area

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the right things, and treating the emoployees the right way.

Great place to work

Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsProgressive, Dynamic, Aggressive, Strong, Innovative

ConsDistributor, Pricing Structure, Commodity, Competition

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

ProsFair Hours for the job

ConsPoor Training/ I had no manager

Typical large company politics, but a company working to constantly improve itself

Commercial Account Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsBenefits, resources, many opportunities for career growth including branching into other departments

ConsCOmpensation structure for sales, employee development from management

The pay is above average for the industry

On Site Service Consultant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsThe job security was great, we did not lay anyone off during the '07-'09 economy crisis. Profit sharing is amazing too.

ConsThere is not a lot of places to move up unless you want to move to Chicago and work in the corporate offices.

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Team, easy to get along with management

ConsBeing understaffed could use extra people

Advice to Senior ManagementMore raises

Good company, great benefits

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) Detroit, MI (US)

ProsAbove average pay, amazing benefits, PST, stock purchases, discounts. PTO is generous and normally easy to schedule. Short term disability benefits are way better than most companies.

ConsIt's very hard to advance in the company if you are not looking for a sales job. Management does not always handle office conflict well or in a timely matter. Nor do they know how to accurately staff a department based on workload.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit looking at the numbers and start actually listening to the employees doing the work. You do yearly surveys for a reason. Now start acting on the results!

Working as a TSR for W.W. Grainger, Inc.

Territory Sales Representative (Current Employee) Oakland, CA (US)

ProsOne of the best training programs in sales, great experience, wonderful benefits (apart from salary), and excellent corporate culture.

ConsSalary is pretty low, no real short-term compensatory benefits, and salary is non-negotiable. Company gears its payout to its employees towards the future and only benefits employees who spend their careers there. Not much room for advancement, moving up is almost too hard and happens very slowly.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees raises and turnover rates will decrease. Also, make income adjustments for those living in high cost areas (there is no adjustment and salary is not negotiable).

Great company to work for!

CAM (Current Employee)

ProsGreat, work-life balence, no micro-managing, amazing retirement package

ConsSlow to advance, not nimble

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch pricing become more nimble

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!