W.W. Grainger Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
3.5

W.W. Grainger Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Ryan
Jim Ryan

Pros
  • Cohesive Strategy integrated throughout the company, Great Benefits (Profit Sharing (in 115 reviews)

• Company strives for work/life balance and provides opportunities for growth (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • The company projects a strong work/life balance, but in reality this is hardly the case (in 13 reviews)

• Middle and upper management was very disappointing (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

Former Employee - Outbound Supervisor
    Former Employee - Outbound Supervisor

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than a year

Pros

As a member of the leadership team you are given the control to over your area. The retirement that is offered is really good.

Cons

The pay sometimes did not match what was required.

Include all levels of leadership more often.

The pay is above average for the industry

Current Employee - On Site Service Consultant  in  Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - On Site Service Consultant in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The job security was great, we did not lay anyone off during the '07-'09 economy crisis. Profit sharing is amazing too.

Cons

There is not a lot of places to move up unless you want to move to Chicago and work in the corporate offices.

Great Company

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Great Team, easy to get along with management

Cons

Being understaffed could use extra people

More raises

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for!

Current Employee - CAM
    Current Employee - CAM

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great, work-life balence, no micro-managing, amazing retirement package

Cons

Slow to advance, not nimble

Watch pricing become more nimble

Fantastic people make a fantastic company.

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people. Terrific leadership. Wonderful benefits. Limitless resources. Team culture.

Cons

Seem to be lacking a strategy to compete with local/regional suppliers who are offering the same products/services at a considerably lower price.

How can we be more effective in capturing share of wallet at the small/mid-sized businesses where price is the overwhelming concern and the value-ads are rarely/never considered.

READ THIS! - WORK FOR BASE - NO COMMISSIONS! HIGH TURNOVER

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Healthy financially in the stock market. Largest MRO company in the industry. Good benefits.

Cons

READERS BEWARE! I have read some of these reviews with high marks and I can tell you that this is not the case. Perhaps these are reviews from the entry level sales representatives who make very low salaries but are easily excited about getting an iPhone, a laptop and a company vehicle. Give them 12 months and they realize they are tired of being on a Top Ramen budget. There is an EXTREMELY high turnover rate. The common conversation amongst the ranks revolves around interviewing elsewhere or who is hiring. Sales goals are unrealistic and continue to increase every 6 months by double digits and we are not talking in the teens but much higher. Average tenure of a sales manager is 12 - 18 months. Commissions are little to none. A high pressure approach is used to push you to try to make these unrealistic numbers but you wont and with it you make no commission. To top it off, like some reviews have mentioned on this site, Grainger has an online company who sells MUCH CHEAPER than what your allowed to or forces you to discount and once again your business goes to this online store or your commission is blown! There are just too many ways you as a sales person will be blocked from being successful here. Senior Management doesn't want to hear these challenges and are only interested on how you will achieve the impossible and how Wall Street and their stakeholders relish in the profits.

This company was a great company to work for. I have heard this from departing employees who spent years working here. But the company no longer does the right thing when it comes to paying commissions or setting goals for people. All we ask is that you do the right thing and make us proud of working here again and proud to refer someone to work here. At this time the message from you is that of not caring to hear our challenges and fixing a broken and unfair system.

Manager, Territory Sales

Former Employee - Manager, Territory Sales
    Former Employee - Manager, Territory Sales

I worked at W.W. Grainger full-time

Pros

Best thing about this company is that you work remotely. Your team is the bright spot and working with branch personnel.

Cons

Horrible upper management. No work life balance. They hire key talent to manage to performance but want us to treat Gen X like babies. Its a terrible work environment where the company takes way too long to separate staff due to performance issue. Run from this company!

Get it together...permafrost mentality. They are resistant to change

Leadership is disconnected from the changing economic environment

I have been working at W.W. Grainger full-time for more than a year

Pros

great benefits, profit sharing, nice corporate HQ. There just isn't enough Pro's to want to stay or recommend this company to others.

Cons

leadership and employees churn constantly, they just don't care about the employee and want to lead with intimidation and at times delivering the wrong message without understanding root cause.

no reason to give them advice, they know it all and only care about making a substantial profit at the sacrifice of losing employees.

Territory Sales Representative

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

Lot of help from management and lot of support from variety of resources. Grainger is a great company in general to work for

Cons

Position pays peanuts. Sales reps often consider taking part-time job on the side to supplement income. Lot of hours required to do the job well

Up the pay. Grainger makes a lot of money, don't penny toss

Decent company

I worked at W.W. Grainger

Pros

stable job and good people

Cons

slow company, no career growth for MBAs

Worked for W.W. Grainger? Contribute to the Community!