WMS Gaming Reviews

Updated 24 April 2015
111 reviews filtered by
2.6
Gavin Isaacs

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Pay is comparable to industry standards (in 7 reviews)

• Work-life balance was exceptionally tailored to the employee in most cases (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • A secretary (yes, administrative assistant) is VP of Game Development (in 5 reviews)

• They don't care they will let you go at anytime as long as these greedy upper management make their millions (in 5 reviews)

1. Jackpot Party

I worked at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An easy life but the business closed

Cons

Jackpot Party was closed down after the sale of WMS to SciGames so not much point in going through the negatives

2. It has its ups and downs

Current Employee - Artist in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work can be relatively enjoyable.

Cons

Low morale right now. Layoffs are always lurking around the corner.

Advice to Management

Job security would be nice.

3. Was a good company

I worked at WMS Gaming full-time

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Old boys club. Not great for women.

5. Was a great place to work

I have been working at WMS Gaming (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility
    Competitive pay
    Good work family balance

Cons

Multiple large layoffs due to acquisitions and mergers in last 2-3 years
    Unstable environment
    Morale in a slump

Advice to Management

Management is doing all that they can during these uncertain times.
    Keep the communication open and take care of your talent

6. Be Careful Which Life Stage of WMS People Are Commenting On

Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The compensation and benefits have been consistently above-average through the transition from the original leadership to the takeover of the hired guns to the acquisition by SciGames.
    The actual work is fun and interesting and you will find people who care about that above the politics and posturing. Hopefully you report to one.

Cons

Most of the vision and purpose of the leadership from the early 2000s has been lost through the transitions and the focus has shifted to pure numbers. This is not necessarily a bad thing; it is part of the maturation as the company and market has grown and perhaps necessary to survive in 2015.

Advice to Management

Since the exit of the original leadership, I never really understood the goals of the organization other than profit, and even how to go about becoming more profitable other than work hard and obey orders. If that was communicated at all, it sounded like propaganda and difficult to get behind. Fix that.

7. Good place to work. If time is well managed by self, it might also be the best place to work.

I have been working at WMS Gaming

Pros

Great facilities.
    Updated cutting edge technology utilization and exposure.
    Good employee benefit plans.

Cons

Things are been changing at certain centers in a negative way that might cause some discomfort to self and unit development.

8. Cultural Challenged

I worked at WMS Gaming

Pros

Benefits are among best in industry

Cons

Management culture is highly political, poorly motivated, and looking out for themselves only.

Advice to Management

Fire yourselves - Lochiatto regime.

What a waste of time

Current Employee - Artist in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, cafe in building, games, free soda...ummm thats about it

Cons

Where do I begin - sr management is definitely NOT transparent. They kept so many secrets from us hard workers specially when layoffs happen. We didn't receive bonuses either...management "claims" they didn't receive one either. I find that hard to believe. If you're looking to work here - DON'T. They're still laying off folks. Remember they bought a competitor so roles are overlapping left and right. Avoid this place at all costs. It sucks here and I'm trying to get out ASAP! Morale is down the crapper! Sigh, wouldn't be surprised if everyone packed up and moved to Vegas. Offices are closing left and right.

Advice to Management

Open up a bit, get your head out of the clouds. Come off from behind closed doors - have open door policies! Open communication. Get to know your employees - stop giving non-managers offices!!! There's 2 there that don't deserve them. Make them sit in cubes where they belong!

Power Dive (emplyoee approval rating)

Former Employee - Artist in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Artist in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When I started at WMS everyone there seemed so content. There were initiatives to broaden yourself and learn new things. The company had scored consecutive listings as one of the best places in Chicago to work. Brian Gamache the former ceo had a reputation for listening to his employees. They built a new building that is a pretty nice place to go to work and the cafeteria was really nice.

Cons

...Then the merger with SG was brokered in 2013 and everything went south. Musical chairs in the top offices and the fear and paranoia began. Many, if not most of the people in my department confided fearing for their job to me. Supervisors began watching their backs and at a middle management level there was a lot of jockeying for position. In the 2+ years that I was there I received no raises, not even cost of living raises. I busted my butt to be exactly what they needed, but during reviews I was told that raises were next to impossible to come by. I thought that this was just my own deal, but the more people I talked to offline seemed to confirm my suspicion that the company likes to give average reviews so that they can justify giving no raises. If you want a promotion you need to basically threaten to leave, otherwise there are numerous "bands" to climb, and I was unsuccessful at even moving up one level.

Advice to Management

Is anyone over there looking at the company rating trends on Glassdoor? Take a look for yourself... Power dive! This is because you've had wave after wave of lay offs. Can the people that remain feel good about their positions? (I'm referring to the people who are still there, not growing crowd of people that have been laid off by you). Gavin Isaacs is such a dreadful person. It was always amusing to see an auditorium full of WMS employees rolling their eyes at every other phrase out of his mouth during his "speaker phoned-in" townhalls. Everyone really misses Gamache, he was ten times the leader.

11. Good place to work.

I have been working at WMS Gaming full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible company with plenty of room to grow. Very friendly environment to be a part of. Good compensation for the line of work you do.

Cons

There is little to no communication passed down from management. This company has recently been acquired, thus affecting employee morale. Pay attention to your employees who are helping this business be successful!!

Advice to Management

Start paying closer attention to your employees as they are the individuals who are helping make the business a success.