Waitrose

www.waitrose.com
Profile Unclaimed

Yes and no

I have been working at Waitrose

Pros

It would certainly seem that we are treated better than employees of other supermarkets.
    Management seems strongly encouraged to earn the respect of their team as opposed to ruling with an iron fist.
    Some of your friends and family will think you work somewhere really posh and privileged.

Cons

The benefits of the partnership seem to largely exist as a method of enticing customers who feel they're supporting an ethical store as opposed to adhering to their much touted 'Principle 1'.

It is frustrating reading the head of John Lewis demand that more companies need to pay a living wage whilst a conversation repeats eternally in the Letters section of the company newsletter in which frustrated workers ask why this statement does not apply to Waitrose staff.
    Replies vary from a statement dismissing the living wage as the kind of policy which is right to Waitrose, flat out denial that any questions were actually asked (followed by a restatement of why they are right and anyone else is wrong) and even instructions that unhappy 'partners' "should go and work at Tesco or Aldi."

The 'Bonus' rings hollow when it only brings you up to what those in other supermarkets already earn, and feels more like a way to trap you into working there until it is awarded.

Once you have had a few visits from upper management and/or have an up and coming manager transferred to your store you will soon start to notice that they all seem to share a very specific accent.

The much touted democratic approach to how the business is ran also rings somewhat hollow when you discover the board of directors control half the seats and so have the power to veto any proposal, limiting any real possibility for real change and benefits to those on the bottom of the food chain.

There is also a whole host of cost-cutting schemes at work which are of dubious benefit to the workers (I mean partners), such as cutting 4 hour shifts to 3hr 45, meaning they can pay less and not give them a break. Or only offering very exact and irregular working hours, in order to have them work a full day without having to allow them a lunch break.

Since I have started working there it seems that the terms at which partners are hired have increasingly been tipped in the companies favour.

Not to mention that whilst our higher-ups will boast in national newspapers and internal comms that we are showing market-beating profits, we see very little in the way of recompense and are constantly reminded that we are missing targets and of the need to boost sales, cut costs and increase productivity. All without hiring extra staff.

In short, despite my criticisms I would recommend this as a place to work, but be aware that it is a truly corporate entity, masquerading as a workers co-op.

Listen to partner's views.
    Match up the image you present to the public with reality.

Nice place and people to work with and for.

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Birmingham, England
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Birmingham, England

I worked at Waitrose as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

If you are able to take advantage of them the benefits are very good. I personally found my section manager a excellent person to work with, accommodating when the need arose and a pleasure to return the favour. The majority of partners are friendly and helpful and inject some fun into what can be a tedious job at times. The company policies are strict but fair, if you are inflexible and have a negative attitude it's not the place for you.

Cons

I found the initial training a bit haphazard and rushed, even being encouraged to sign off a training disk even though I had not completed it. The I.T. systems were in the process of being updated and could be a frustration at times.
    I was also interested in potential progression within the company, there are too many partners chasing too few positions, so it was going to be a long winded process, the main reason for my leaving.
    It is quite difficult to transfer to another branch, even if there are open vacancies at other stores, another thing I found off-putting.

I didn't have any issues with any of the managerial staff where I worked, but did think that the company was bogged down with bureaucracy.

Review

I have been working at Waitrose

Pros

Competitive Pay for industry
    Good bonus

Cons

Not much room for promotion

N/A

Supermarket assistant

I worked at Waitrose

Pros

Worked here part time during my A-level studies. Learned a lot about leadership and management of people older and younger.
    Learned the best way to approach a customer service based job.
    The benefits of Waitrose and John Lewis partnership were very useful. The bonus and discount card to name a couple.

Cons

There wasn't much advertised in terms of graduate schemes and sometimes line managers tried to take advantage of my young age and expected naïvety.

Good part-time job, standard industry pay with various benefits and add-ons to improve employee moral .

I worked at Waitrose

Pros

Company benefits, discount at waitrose and John Lewis after 3 months continuous service. Democratic system in company where "partner" can voice their opinions in meetings with senior management.

Cons

Little opportunity to progress to higher management levels from bottom. Over crowding of management, too much bureaucracy which can stand in the way of progress.

Less levels of management and a clear idea of each managers role.

not so much different that any other store

Former Employee - Shop Assistant in London, England
    Former Employee - Shop Assistant in London, England

I worked at Waitrose

Pros

Atmosphere was good, supportive colleagues.

Cons

sometimes long hours, patronising bosses.

change your attitude a bit please.

Customer assistant on the delivery section

Former Employee - Customer Assistant
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant

I worked at Waitrose

Pros

good work atmosphere, amazing benefits (bonus/£60 a year for gigs etc), my branch reasonably flexible with allowing cover if needed

Cons

not much room for personal growth, but for me it was just a part time job!

get a bit more organised!

Supermarket Assistant

Former Employee - Waitrose Supermarket Assistant in London, England

I worked at Waitrose part-time (more than a year)

Pros

A company that values its workforce and tries to focus on their welfare

Cons

Holidays were a slight hassle to book. A few managers were incompetent and lazy, leaving the supervisors to balance this out with their hard work.

Be more consistent in how you treat each partner.

Enjoyable time

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Beckenham, England
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Beckenham, England

I worked at Waitrose part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Waitrose has great company values that result in a positive working environment, atmosphere and culture. Training was thorough and well planned. Annual bonus is welcomed too.

Cons

Work-life balance is generally OK but management do try to squeeze as much overtime as possible out of the few employees they have. Of course it is your choice to defer overtime but then it's not really a choice when you are on a temporary contract and looking for an extension.

Excellent company to work for

I have been working at Waitrose

Pros

Bonus
    Paid overtime
    Fab rate on Sunday's

Cons

Can be stressful especially when understaffed