Waitrose

Updated 28 January 2015
3.7

Waitrose Managing Director Mark Price
Mark Price

Pros
  • The amazing bonus, the huge John Lewis discount (even better when there's a price match (in 18 reviews)

• Annual bonus and great discount, 15% in Waitrose 12/25% in John Lewis (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Trying to hold the part time job whilst doing A-levels was demanding due to overtime requests (in 7 reviews)

• Leadership disconnect, little attention paid to thoughts of part-time staff (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't believe the hype. Working for Waitrose is not as good as you led to believe. Stop brain washing people.

Current Employee - Checkout Assistant
    Current Employee - Checkout Assistant

I have been working at Waitrose as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Most customers are good, but you can get some bad as you would expect. The majority of the partners are easy to work. The benefits are good.

Cons

BAD managers who are patronising, unappreciate their staff. Managers who don't know about the government flexible work directives, so they are inflexible when it comes to addressing family needs. I am one of the best worker who's customer review keeps the branch scores up. They keep changing my hours every quarterly and insist that I have to work the weekend even though financially I would be working for nothing. The managers and supervisors in my store are clueless on how to manage and to treat their staff. The new hours on offer means that I will have to leave as they don't appreciate good workers. I was told that I should be thankful that they kept me on to get my first and last annual bonus. The manager should be thankful that I kept quiet after that patronising comment.

If Waitrose are serious about looking after their partners and to give people an equal opportunities. Then I suggest they allow flexibility for their partners. You're not going to be rich working less than 16 hours, so please help your employees out. Just because your first language isn't English doesn't mean the managers can patronise you.

Excellent company to work for

I have been working at Waitrose

Pros

Bonus
    Paid overtime
    Fab rate on Sunday's

Cons

Can be stressful especially when understaffed

Best company for a partner

Current Employee - Supermarket Assistant
    Current Employee - Supermarket Assistant

I have been working at Waitrose (less than a year)

Pros

Waitrose is great as you are a partner not an employee, bonus every year! Discount is great, breaks constant, loads of opportunities and benefits

Cons

Sometime they are a bit too pleased with themselves to listen to any complainta

Good, well run business to work for.

Former Employee - Waitrose Supermarket Assistant in Hersham, England
    Former Employee - Waitrose Supermarket Assistant in Hersham, England

I worked at Waitrose part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Partnership bonus, great benefits and employees are valued. Free and discounted cinema tickets and concert venues as well as great staff events and charity fundraisers.

Cons

Long hours during seasonal periods, and often workers are not valued as much throughout these busy periods. Training feels rushed.

Excellent Job Satisfaction, Great People, Great Oppurtunities

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Norwich, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in Norwich, England

I have been working at Waitrose part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is so friendly, they always say hello to you throughout the day. Managers are very helpful and kind. Opportunities are always open. Great discounts and pay.

Cons

Graduate schemes need atleast 300 UCAS points aswell as a 2:1 degree

Good, bad, ugly.

Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England
    Current Employee - Customer Service Assistant in London, England

I have been working at Waitrose part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work is not taxing but can be dull as a result. The company is flexible with unpaid time off, especially for students and it serves you well if you are flexible about overtime as well. The comany is very keen on development and helping people reach their potential in store, with lots of young people in management positions. However it is basically impossible to move from the shop floor to head office.
    Waitrose is a great job for students/working mums/semi-retired people. The people working on the shop floor are generally hard working, friendly and fun.

Cons

Bonus is, for me, not a pro but a con. They use bonus to attract people, but it is just an excuse not to pay everyone the living wage. Bonus is calculated as a percentage of your salary over the previous year, so senior managers can earn bonuses of several thousand pounds while people on the shop floor are receiving less than the Living Wage.
    Waitrose/JLP preach a lot of values but ultimately are run like any other supermarket: it's about profit over people.

Living Wage - sort it out, it's embarrassing for a company whose motto is "real influence over your working life".
    More work is needed to help the right people get from the shop floor to head office/the roles they'd actually enjoy and are trained for.

The perfect company

Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Brighton, England
    Current Employee - Shop Floor Assistant in Brighton, England

I have been working at Waitrose part-time (more than a year)

Pros

As a partner i get hundreds of benefits including discounts in John Lewis and Waitrose as well as discounts in restaurants, holidays, tickets and even car insurance.
    I also receive an annual bonus which is a huge perk, but also means every one is working together to achieve a common goal; a bigger bonus.
    I enjoy working there a lot because I know customers will always be satisfied with the experience and if they aren't Waitrose will strive to ensure they have done al they can before they leave the store.
    Along with delivering great service, I instantly felt like part of a team when I joined. Each section is faced with multiple challenges every day and its great to have such a supportive team around you to help over come each challenge. Working in Waitrose can be incredibly busy and often stressful when their are objectives that need to be met within a day, and this makes it all the more fun. There is no opportunity to get bored or have nothing to do, because at Waitrose the work never ends. It is a constant cycle that has no let up- which I much prefer to a quiet boring shop. Being pushed at work and coming home to feel as though you've made a difference is a very satisfying experience.

Cons

The only problem I have found repeatedly is that there is often a lack of communication/information between managers and less senior positions. There are several people that will manage each section and sometimes getting in touch with them can prove difficult.

A little more time could be spent with new employees to ensure they are comfortable with how the store works/ how they speak to customers, if they haven't completed all their online training before they start work on the shop floor.
    Also ensuring partners are comfortable using partnerlink and other resources should be checked up on, e.g accessing the site from home- a number of partners don't know how to do this etc.

Great employer

Current Employee - Waitrose Supermarket Assistant
    Current Employee - Waitrose Supermarket Assistant

I have been working at Waitrose part-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Good multimidia training, fairly straightforward job, works well around uni
    - You get a raise after the first 3 months, then once a year depending on performance
    - It helps with uni costs

Cons

- Pay not amazing considering you have to work hard especially in busy periods
    - IT system ocasionally goes down when there's system updates

Great company, good perks

Former Employee - Fruit and Veg, Operations, Checkouts in London, England
    Former Employee - Fruit and Veg, Operations, Checkouts in London, England

I worked at Waitrose part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice working part time as a secondary school - rent free student, well paid, easy work, great perks. The appeal wears off as you tend towards full-time work as a self-supporting individual.

Cons

Not very flexible, FBS ruined the once great Waitrose.

I worked for operations and I also agree it's a stupid and inefficient system (FBS). Revert back to the old structure, the guys pushing or stock know more about the stock than anyone on operations. Reducing and duties such as stock counts are far more efficiently completed by members of the relevant team.

quick

I have been working at Waitrose as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Good Pay great bonus benefit

Cons

Non at the moment honestly