WalMart Canada

Be The First To
Add Photos

WalMart Canada President & CEO Shelley Broader

Shelley Broader

Pros:
  • "Meet new customers, 10% discount for associates"
    in 17 reviews
  • "This company has good profit sharing, and flexible hours"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Long hours and not enough promotion of work/life balance"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Not enough full time employees so forced 12 hour shifts are frequent"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Negative, rude, and disrespectful management made this job very unpleasant.

Unloader/Receiver (Former Employee)
Dartmouth, NS (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time for more than a year

ProsPros: Discount card for 10% off everything in store, even non-taxable goods. Non-management employees are incredibly friendly and welcoming.

ConsCons: The management is very negative towards employees that they don't like. Hours are not flexible. In my position, the only shift I worked was 3pm-11pm. I had heard from other people that some managers had declined their requests for shifts off even though they had asked months in advance, or scheduled people for shifts they had off.

Advice to Senior Management1. Try sticking to your word. I was lied to twice in my orientation. One: I was told i would be receiving a portion of the company's annual profit sharing cheque when the next profit sharing period came around. I was surprised when i was informed that I was hired fourteen days too late to receive a bonus of approximately $600 CAD. Two: I was told that if I did not like my position in the store, I would be able to move to a different position. I had inquired about this multiple times over the eight months before I quit, but to no avail. I knew for a fact that there were postings for other positions in the store at these times as well.

2. Listen to your staff, especially in the back-room positions. Almost every one of them on the evening shift and incredibly dissatisfied with that treatment they receive from management, but nothing has changed. Also, I had reported harassment by my co-workers multiple times, and nothing was done about it.

3. If you need to tell someone they're doing something wrong, do it in private, not in front of everyone else they work with. I was singled out multiple times during my tenure at Wal-Mart in front of everyone working on that shift and called useless, told that the door was open and that I could go to work at Target(Target was just opening at this time), etc.

Bulling by co-workers. Being in my second training day, I was blamed by a woman I didn't see before.for being slow?

Walmart Cashier (Former Employee)
Laval, QC (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time

ProsNo one.. I couldn't find the advantage to work in Walmart....because I quit in my second day of training. I saw the difference between this Company and others I worked before in Canada.. In Walmart there is no respect for rights and liberties.. basic values in this Country....

ConsBulling from the co-workers.. all them asking me how many hours of work were giving to me.. and why so much..and worst ..No leadership and no criteria from the supervisors.. The incredible is that I quit in the second day of training.. after a long hiring process and screened references and nobody called me to ask me why I ask myself ..perhaps my point of view means nothing for them.. Hello!! I have rights like a human being and like a Canadian citizen..

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat can I say I think not all are the same.. That's not my work to teach them leadership and criteria..

Absolutely no respect for any life you might have outside of work.

Department Manager (Current Employee)
Airdrie, AB (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNo layoffs once you are long enough tenured.

ConsShifts are horrible, everyone can be replaced attitude of management

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat staff like human beings rather than like slaves

low-cost labour work in retail store

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time

Prosdiscount card i.e. 10% off

Conscutting working hours unreasonably without any notice

Advice to Senior Managementthey won't listen anyway

ok

Cashier (Current Employee)
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time for more than 3 years

Prosits ok but not that good their salry is very low and they don't give full time positions

Conspay scale is really low

Advice to Senior Managementplease do respect your employees and please focus on your polices

Great place foir opportunity

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
Burlington, ON (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFast paced work environment
Learn about the retail business
Always staying busy
Great people to work with

ConsWage is a little low
Long hours sometimes go unrewarded
Low work/life balance
Senior management can sometimes be quite tough

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't expect miracles to happen in one day

Great place to work at, especially for students.

Photo Lab Associate (Current Employee)
Halifax, NS (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible hours and competitive wages, which is great for students. The management team is great, friendly working environment, and there is a sense of workplace equality.

ConsThe only downside to working at Walmart for me, is the 7AM opening shifts. It's not an easy shift to have for students who usually have to stay up doing essays. Other than that, it's a pretty great place to work at.

Happy place to work if you work hard

Overnight Support Manager (Current Employee)
Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time for more than a year

ProsGood employees in company, good opportunity to get promotion because people come and go quickly, just like water fall. So opportunity will come to you quickly, all u need is work hard and grab your chance.

ConsPay low, more work than actual duty which is not fair.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlexible schedule, respect individual more.

Fantastic Company

Store Manager (Current Employee)
Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time for more than 10 years

Prossalary
good communication
excellent people and working conditions
great opportunities to move ahead

Conswork life balance
demanding tasks
training programs are not sufficient

Not as described in "the brochure"; this place "blows"

Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee)
Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time for less than a year

Pros10% discount card, at least the hourly rate isn't minimum wage, there isn't much more to be positive about. if you are willing to screw over your fellow employees, you will probably advance in the company.

ConsUnder-scheduled, I am available for 40 hours, not just 22...; assistant managers are sneaky and underhanded when your department assistant manager( there's department mgrs and the top dog mgr)" too many chiefs and not enough Indians"? Being constantly called to help on a till; they might as well make an announcement to the public " to all you shoplifters out there, now's your chance as all the cash trained associates have had to leave their departments un-attended. At the morning 'rah, rah, rah' it is told that our sales were so much of a percentage up over last year, which somewhat misleading since retail prices have risen to account for increase in sales, not just more being sold this year. If they really have done that well, then hire some more staff, especially on the front end; give employees hours they can actually live on without going into debt! Otherwise, it just a big lie. By the way, Shelley Broader has never been a "minion" and has not had to find a way to pay the bills, so it is very comical to have someone who not part of the "working poor" lead a company that caters somewhat to those people. "Tell Shell" as she has implemented, to get real; you make decisions that affect other people, but don't have to live with the results....

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people who are jerks, sneaky and underhanded. You really make the saying "nice people finish last" true. Give everyone hours they want so that they can actually pay their bills and not make them feel like they have hang their lives on a peg just incase Walmart calls to get you to come in to cover another employee's absence...

Worked for WalMart Canada? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at WalMart Canada reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for WalMart Canada CEO Shelley Broader. All 248 reviews are posted anonymously by WalMart Canada employees.