WalMart Canada

Updated 17 November 2014
2.7

WalMart Canada President & CEO Shelley Broader
Shelley Broader

Pros
  • 10% discount on all merchandise (except clearance) (in 24 reviews)

• most people are great, employee discount, extra discount near christmas, profit sharing (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The higher you get the less work life balance exists (in 15 reviews)

• As well as only offering part-time positions and extremely rarely post full-time positions (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

First job opportunity, no more no less

Former Employee - Connection Centre Associate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Connection Centre Associate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- as a part-timer, you more or less get the hours you want (assuming you've been around longer than a year or so)
    - co-workers display solidarity in order to make the working experience a little more pleasant
    - some neat discounts featured in a wealth of other companies (telecommunications, car rentals, hotels, etc...)
    -will hire pretty much anyone (good if you need a quick fix between jobs)

Cons

- it's all about charisma: whoever sucks up the most to management gets it easiest
    - the salary is utter garbage
    - associates get transferred all the time (whether they like it or not) depending on which departments need the most help.
    - management can often be rude and display flagrant favoritism
    - customers can be a nightmare

- Stop treating your hourly associates like peasants, they do all the work.
    - Know who deserve promotions and those who do not.
    - Learn to be more coherent between each other in order not to contradict another manager's orders

We are not machines

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Penticton, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Penticton, BC (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Company values are great too bad they're not observed. Associates are treated like slaves. There is no consideration for the needs of the individual there's no respect for the individual. There are availability sheets that you can fill out and submit but they don't treat it like availability if they disagree with it. I'm part time on the disability and when I told him that I'm physically unable to work certain shifts they want me to get a letter from my doctor. I got letters from my doctor that's how I got on disability.

If you're going to follow Walmart policies you can't make them up as you go along

Good High School Job

I have been working at WalMart Canada

Pros

Walmart provides flexible hours and good entry level retail training. This is a good company for starting your career, especially for people who are only available part time.

Cons

Unfortunately there are few promotion opportunities, little full time work, and limited hours during slow times.

Manager

I worked at WalMart Canada

Pros

Discount company wide,match for stocks

Cons

Long hrs, low pay,schedule changes regular , no appreciation

Say Thanks to staff

nerve racking, insulting to my intelligence, low educated asst. managers

Former Employee - Department Manager in Moncton, NB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Moncton, NB (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great health plan, great opportunity to invest in company stocks, great company for helping community schools

Cons

Will work around schedule for family crisis, sick leave is great

Think before you speak

Sales Associate

I have been working at WalMart Canada part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get an extra paycheck known as 'profit sharing' once a year on top of your normal pay, as well as a 10% discount on most products in store and on the website.

Cons

Customers disrespect you because they know if they complain enough Management will give them what they want, as well as expect us to get them something that we don't have or vents their frustration onto you when the store is sold out of an item; both sale and regular items.
    Management makes it very frustrating to work by constantly understaffing the store, post new positions that are intended to be 'in store applicants only' and then ignore all in-store applicants and just hire new people. As well as only offering part-time positions and extremely rarely post full-time positions. As well as making you book any days off 1 month in advance, despite them only posting 1 week in advance worth of schedules.
    Management once tried to compensate and be mindful that employees are only human, now appear to be money focussed, seeing each employee as a dollar sign and focusing on saving the store as much as possible, via understaffing, to make their end of year bonus more generous.

Start treating employees with more respect as well as offering the full-time jobs to the employees who have worked the front line for you for years. Also consider using a better scheduling system.

Not bad but better places to work

I worked at WalMart Canada

Pros

I enjoyed the co-workers. You would be surprised at the education level and experience of some co-workers seeking part-time jobs to pay for continuing education/upgrading/Canadian qualifications. One of my co-workers had an MBA from Belgium and spoke french fluently (not a Canadian-recognized qualification though). Most of them were hard workers and quite polite; no rudeness or attitude from most of them. A few of the managers were very likable and approachable. The cashiers were very friendly and worked hard.

Cons

More than a few managers were not very likable. One of the managers actually told one of my coworkers that if he didn't like the hours he could leave to work somewhere else. Brief background: He had a kid and only got like 2 and half shifts that week. Don't expect raises. If you are older and have some prior experience, you can earn maybe 11/hour. Crappy store-set up that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, bit tacky. Crappy security, lots of toys and electronics took a walk in the 1 year I worked there. 80 dollar phone cases just sitting on the peg with no security on them at all... Customers can be quite Irate and rude for no apparent reason.

Better scheduling: more flexible and suited to feedback from employees. Better security. Implement a zero tolerance policy towards rude and profane language/behavior in the store, associates work hard and actually try to help people.

Too much micromanaging by Head Office, low pay with high expectations of work output

Current Employee - First In-Stock Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - First In-Stock Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are overall friendly and multicultural.

Cons

Too much brainwashing of how wonderful Walmart is and how fair they are to workers and how much opportunities there are to move up. They actually want hardworkers (of course), but tend to keep them in that particular area rather than approving requests to move to a different position. Also not allowed very much flexibility to improve work situation by implimenting "new" ideas.

Should listen to the actual workers and their ideas more than strictly obeying Head Office and their ideas. Pay more and fire unsatisfactory workers more.

I love Working for Wal-Mart

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at WalMart Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is like a big Family. The pay in comparison to other retail chains like Walmart is great. I would not be able to go to a competitor and get better pay. I love the overtime at inventory. I love the endless opportunities within the company. You can move up quickly if you are the right person with the drive to do so. We get a yearly profit sharing Bonus.You get 10% off merchandise which is awesome considering how cheap things are already. We have fun days like pot lucks, fundraisers, etc...

Cons

Customers can be hard to deal with sometimes. It takes an extremely patient person to cope sometimes. As much as I won't have a job without them customers sometimes forget we are people too and treat you horribly.
    Sometime the miscommunication amongst managers gets to you.No benfits for part time. Yearly raises are low. It is retail and Walmart is huge. Of course there will be some cons but overall it is a great place to work. If you don't love to learn new things and be willing to step outside your comfort zone retail is not for you. Oh and you must be willing to go on Till!! If you won't help on the till's up front you shouldn't apply at all.

Not being a cashier you might think it weird I say this but I think Cashiers should get another wage increase. They already make a little more than floor associates but I think it needs to increase more. They have the most important job in the store and I think the company should realize that. Being a casier is a lot more difficult and straining than it looks. Try standing in one spot for 4 hrs on end or more without a break.

quick fix

Former Employee - Photo Lab Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Photo Lab Associate in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at WalMart Canada part-time (less than an year)

Pros

theyre always hiring and co-workers are willing to help

Cons

not a place to have a long term career

WalMart Canada Photos