Walgreens

3,948 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
2,067 Ratings

Pros
  • Benifits are decent 401k profit sharing pto etc if they right manager you will love the job (in 238 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 99 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

Team were great

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Great state and federal relations managers

Cons

Lack of understanding of public policy issues,

Hire experts at CMS

Poorly run store

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

It was a very easy to obtain job. Other than that, there really are not any other positives.

Cons

The management at my store was horrendous. Everything was dirty. Money would go missing.

Management ruins a good job

Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Richardson, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Beauty Advisor in Richardson, TX (US)

I worked at Walgreens part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hours were flexible, but that depends on the manager. I made some great friends and I enjoyed working with most of my coworkers. Interacting with customers could lead to great conversations, but be aware that some customers will take out a bad day on you. I received good training, and it didn't take long to get comfortable there.

Cons

You are paid a low wage, and after working there for a year you only receive a $0.20/hr raise. My store manager withheld my raise from me for four months. Managers played favorites when it came to assigning tasks and giving promotions. When customers were exceptionally rude to employees, management would break company policy to appease them, making the employees look bad for trying to uphold company policy. Management rarely came to the aid of a cashier who needed their assistance, and when they did they took a very long time. This caused the line to back up, customers to get exceedingly angry, and sometimes customers would simply leave. Some managers obsessively micromanaged employees. Each manager is responsible for a different department, but only some managers held their departments accountable for cleanliness and expirations. They would pull me out of my department to fix another department, and then scold me for not having finished the tasks in my department. Management gave more hours to people that they favored. They cut hours in half without any notice, and never gave any indication of when they would give more hours. Sometimes I would go a few months with only 20 hours or less when I had previously been working 35-40 hours. Because of this I was never given any benefits.

Stop favoring certain employees over others. Too many managers let their personal feelings get in the way of proper management. Managers need to be more engaged, rather than making employees feel bad when they finally answer a call for help. It seemed that they did not want to help their employees. They deliberately ignored calls for help. They need to take responsibility for their own tasks, rather than handing them off to employees who already have tasks to complete in their own department. Personal dislike of employees should not affect when an employee gets their raise.

Reinventing Image

Former Employee - Executive
    Former Employee - Executive

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is constantly looking for ways to improve. There are new initiatives coming out all the time to improve customer relations and experiences. After merging with Alliance Boots to save itself, the new company is located in over 20 countries and has over 360,000 employees worldwide.

Cons

The company has been struggling with an identity crisis since 2008. There are far too many new initiatives being implemented at the same time and demanded of field operations while budgets are cut. The old "do more with less" is an understatement of what is taking place at this company. The company is constantly threatening its employees with their jobs. Where threats used to be implied, it is now written in policy. Might still be good place for young newbies who can easily conform to pressures that at one time were considered fascist.. In addition, gone are the days of career opportunities that still pay well and benefits that were worth holding onto.

Take care to stop screwing and constantly threatening your leadership to threaten their teams for compliance. You are not handling this change well at all. Your employees are the life blood of the company that take care of the customers. Having employees who comply solely out of fear goes against what Walgreens used to stand for. Gone are the employees you encouraged for over 100 years to think of creative ways to help improve the company by taking care of customers and increase sales. Now you are creating legions of minions who are demanded to not think at all - only comply. You have betrayed your heritage and lost your identity in the process.

Waste of a decade.

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Hard to think of any.

Cons

Terrible benefits, terrible hours, terrible pay, no employee loyalty, not what it used to be.

Not a great long term career

America's Pharmacy Bureaucracy

Former Employee - Pharmacist in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Kansas City, KS (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Salary, benefits all at the top of the pharmacist job market. Cutting edge retail practice environment with MTM, vaccinations, and workflow. The new Well-Experience stores are the near-future of retail pharmacy.

Cons

Suits and bean counters are trying to override medical practice and enforce their micromanagement upon individual pharmacies with negative effect - overworked, overstressed pharmacists make more mistakes at busy stores, and have their attention pulled too thin by corporate initiatives to basically do phone solicitation. There's no excuse for treating a Doctor of Pharmacy like a marketing call center associate. A culture of fear of making mistakes and losing one's job exists, rather than a culture of working hard to earn rewards. Managers are overworked, and higher turnover than staff pharmacists.

Management should never make any pharmacy or medical decision without first working 1 full day in an actual pharmacy... in the inner city... in a busy 24-hour store.
    Stop selling cigarettes. CVS totally beat you on this point, and will continue to outperform you into the future if you don't find other ways to compete and differentiate from CVS, Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

A handful

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Co-workers
    Management (store level)
    Great customers

Cons

HIGH STRESS
    No pay raise if company doesn't do well even if you are a top employee.
    Not enough help.

Don't punish lower level employee's raises for gambles/mistakes by the company that decrease profits (we can't afford it)

Give pharmacy more hours (it's where 75 percent of profits come from)

I applied for the job to work in the pharmacy my freshman year of college and was hired as a photo technician initially.

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Cherry Hill, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Cherry Hill, NJ (US)

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

VERY VERY flexible with hours, I averaged less than 5 hours a week during college.
    Leadership is pretty good at each retail store.
    Provided all my training for PTCB certification and paid for both the PTCB certification and State Registration.

Cons

Short handed often and some of the goals are unreasonable. All that matters in the pharmacy is numbers and not safety.

Provide more hours for pharmacy. Errors kill people.

Walgreens isn't a bad place for a first job.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Walgreens part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I think it all depends on the people you work with, the area, and hours could be flexible.

Cons

You have to take really long assessment tests and watch a lot of boring videos for training.

Be clear on the pay

Stock

Former Employee - Photo Specialist
    Former Employee - Photo Specialist

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Great place to work for

Cons

Nothing to say here fine

None