Walgreens

4,116 Reviews

Walgreens President and CEO Greg Wasson
Greg Wasson
2,132 Ratings

Pros
  • Benifits are decent 401k profit sharing pto etc if they right manager you will love the job (in 238 reviews)

• I also took advantage of the employee discount for a lot of the essentials (in 146 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance whatsoever if you are below store manager position at store level (in 99 reviews)

• Upper management does not seem to care about the well being or the opinions of employees (in 150 reviews)

More Highlights

Team were great

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Great state and federal relations managers

Cons

Lack of understanding of public policy issues,

Hire experts at CMS

Poorly run store

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

It was a very easy to obtain job. Other than that, there really are not any other positives.

Cons

The management at my store was horrendous. Everything was dirty. Money would go missing.

Reinventing Image

Former Employee - Executive
    Former Employee - Executive

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is constantly looking for ways to improve. There are new initiatives coming out all the time to improve customer relations and experiences. After merging with Alliance Boots to save itself, the new company is located in over 20 countries and has over 360,000 employees worldwide.

Cons

The company has been struggling with an identity crisis since 2008. There are far too many new initiatives being implemented at the same time and demanded of field operations while budgets are cut. The old "do more with less" is an understatement of what is taking place at this company. The company is constantly threatening its employees with their jobs. Where threats used to be implied, it is now written in policy. Might still be good place for young newbies who can easily conform to pressures that at one time were considered fascist.. In addition, gone are the days of career opportunities that still pay well and benefits that were worth holding onto.

Take care to stop screwing and constantly threatening your leadership to threaten their teams for compliance. You are not handling this change well at all. Your employees are the life blood of the company that take care of the customers. Having employees who comply solely out of fear goes against what Walgreens used to stand for. Gone are the employees you encouraged for over 100 years to think of creative ways to help improve the company by taking care of customers and increase sales. Now you are creating legions of minions who are demanded to not think at all - only comply. You have betrayed your heritage and lost your identity in the process.

Best coworkers and tons of experience

Current Employee - Shift Lead in Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Shift Lead in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

While working here I have learned about both pharmacy and front end sales. I get paid more than most lower-level management at other retailers and enjoy benefits and discounts. My favorite part about working here is the upper level management including our CL, DM, and MVP. Overall I have had nothing but good experiences working for the company.

Cons

Retail will always be frustrating because of the attitudes of many customers. The pharmacy part of the business is extremely important and patients can be trying at times, although this is understandable given the nature of the business.

More hours designated for training would be beneficial for cashiers and beauty advisors.

Good for getting started

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Many different departments to choose from
    -Decently flexible hours
    -Managers are usually friendly

Cons

-After 8 years of working there, my pay went up a grand total of $1.50
    -Corporate cuts hours frequently
    -Training is not what is used to be. When I first started, training was amazing. Every department had a district supervisor that would hold meetings, and visit stores, to makes sure all the employees knew what was going on. That was cut, and most training is either through emails, or on paper. When I first went into pharmacy(after 6 years with the company), my complete training was done in front of a computer. I did everything once, and was expected to jump right in, in one of the busiest stores in the district, in the busiest time of the year. I was the only one in pharmacy, who was NOT sent to a quiet store, to get one on one training. Training has definitely decreased.

Train, train train.

Good company going down wrong track

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Dallas, TX (US)

I worked at Walgreens

Pros

Pay is good , good employees, employees like family members

Cons

no family life, expected to live there and do it all yourself. Headed down the dollar store way pay was good but continues to be taken away and more duties of positions above you being put on you

Staff Pharmacist

Current Employee - Pharmacist in Akron, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in Akron, OH (US)

I have been working at Walgreens full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, great benefits, amazing district manager in cleveland south district

Cons

Too many metrics to meet (verification by promise time, wait times, vaccination goals, customer surveys)

Give us more technician hours

Work hard for little money

Former Employee - Senior Certified Pharmacy Technician in Saint Charles, MO (US)

I worked at Walgreens full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule of attending school

Cons

Stressful environment, sexist promotion policy, work extremely hard for little financial reward and basically no growth potential

Good and bad

Current Employee - Pharmacist in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

Stable company; patients can go to another nearby Walgreens location and have most prescriptions filled with ease due to its central link capability

Cons

Exponentially increasing workload, duties, pressures and demands from upper management while cutting more hours and much-needed help/manpower. Sadly, it very much seems to be all about the numbers/metrics now, quantity over quality. Stats is what management looks into all the time and this is their only gauge to tell whether the pharmacy was busy or not.

Management should be aware that the numbers or metric figures are not the sole determinants whether the pharmacy was busy or not so busy, needs extra manpower or not. There's a lot more to the story than just the stats. Given that a pharmacist has to juggle multiple tasks simultaneously in a matter of minutes - doctor calls, consultations (live and phone), immunizations, releasing blocks to all new prescriptions being sold at in-window and drive-thru where techs would be lined up behind you pressuring you, all these while trying to meet promised time (the numbers!) in data review and product review. It compromises the quality of work, and subjects the pharmacist to extreme stress and risk of committing errors because of the inevitable rush borne out of increasing tasks/workload/duties/demands and decreasing hours/help/manpower.

great

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New Orleans, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in New Orleans, LA (US)

I have been working at Walgreens

Pros

working conditions are ok however they could be a lot better, trucks are late now computers always broken, most of the pay now is in the top management it has been taken from those who do the work and the work is still.

Cons

don't pay there employee fair.

understand that Walgreen was once a good place to work because it was family, it made it's employee feel like family now it's all about the money and the employee are being hurt because of the money they have taken from us, renaming positions in order to take employees pay without them being to live, Walgreen has become the next Walmart, and that along is sad.