Walmart

Updated Jul 23, 2014

2.9 7,395 reviews

Walmart CEO Doug McMillon

Doug McMillon

Pros
  • There are opportunities for advancement for those who show initiative(in 68 reviews)

• Lot of room for advancement up to the salary level, nice schedule for management(in 63 reviews)

Cons
  • With new schedule your Work/life balance is very poor with very little weekends off(in 119 reviews)

• Within the next five years there will only be salary full time positions available(in 302 reviews)

7,395 Employee Reviews

Pharmacist in asda

Pharmacist (Current Employee) Leeds, England

ProsFlexibility great support for working families very cursive culture

ConsTiny bonuses compared to competitors

very delightful, people are nice

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfeels no hierarchy, easy communication

Consworking condition in the store is just ok

it was a great place to work

Christmas Temp (Current Employee) Colchester, England

ProsI enjoyed working with people and enjoyed doing nights

ConsThey make you pay for food and deduct 30 minutes break.

Advice to Senior Managementthey should ask collegues which department they enjoy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Exercise in futility

Inventory Supervisor (Former Employee) Cartersville, GA (US)

ProsCo-workers(some)
    Quarterly bonuses
    Employee discount
    1hour lunch break

ConsManagers. Work-life balance. Work-load
    Disorganized
    Turnover rate

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into complaints associates make about managers.
    Get your employees new equipment: pallet jacks, rocket carts, etc.

Work hard and move up quickly.

Zone Merchandise Supervisor (Former Employee) Milwaukee, WI (US)

ProsI enjoyed the Associates I worked with, made a lot of life-long friends. The Health/Vision/Dental Benefits for me, were affordable. Many prescriptions $4-8. They started Insuring your unmarried Spouse or Domestic Partner with reasonable rates. The employee discount 10% off, 20% off Eyeglasses/Contacts was awesome. If worked Thanksgiving/Black Friday got 25% off 1 whole purchase. Raises every year $.40-$.60. Management was availible to talk to. Fast paced store. You control your future. There is a MyShare Bonus for meeting quarterly goals but I only saw it 2 times in 3.5 yrs. I was promoted 5 times with raises.

ConsYou have to be very self-motivated. You are not provided much training for any job given at any level, you have to jump in and get hands on. Management had an Open Door Policy to discuss issues but rarely fixed them. In order to get promoted you needed to work hard and be noticed for the hard work, they needed to know your name good or bad (I was known for being too demanding and loud, It got me propmoted quickly but I didn't have many friends, I never kissed any tail and just spoke up/worked hard) I worked both Part Time and Full Time as an Associate and Dept Manager there was a great work-life balance. However as a Zone Merchandise Supervisor there was little to no balance. In the ZMS role you worked either 8-5 or 11-8 which seemed pretty balanced but sicne you are the middleman between a dept manager and an assistant you had to change your hours to meet the needs of the business which could mean overnights or 12 hr shifts or split shifts to ensure coverage of your Zones. Dept Managers have the best hours 7-4 no weekends...but it depends which store you work at as I've heard that varies. I felt I was underpaid in my position for the work I had to do and how much of my life I commited to Walmart. But I'm sure a lot of people feel they were under paid. There's no raise but once a year unless you move up in position, I was promoted 5 times and I went from $7.45 to $12.60 in 3.5 yrs.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeach and Train. The people that you think are "annoying" by asking so many questions, wouls be less annoying if you just taught them. As a ZMS I wasn't given control over critical items that would have relieved pressure from Management such as ability to Schedual, Keys (trash/organics), and Coach for Improvement. I had the hardest ZMS position Primary Fresh (Deli, Dairy, Frozen, Bakery, Meats, Produce) Secondary Consumables (Dry Grocery, Pharmacy, Pets, Paper, Chemicals, Health and Beauty) but it seemed I had no support system. I had back-to-back weak Assistant Managers that acted like their head was in the clouds. I only saw my Assistant when they did Temps once a day, and at the 2pm meeting. I finally got one Assistant that would hold Associates accountable but then they were told they were "stepping on toes" if they did too much for someone else's Team. I was on my own a lot to problem solve which I didn't have an issue with, but I had no power to change or document anything. So reviews and raises were given to my associates without any input from myself or my Dept Managers, Assistants were telling the associates they were "Exceptional" without having working with them and that created a hostile environment when they openly discussed their review/raises with others. Lastly, Management GET OUT OF THE OFFICE, WALK THE FLOOR! Don't depend on us bringing you problems and solutions all of the time.

!I loved it!

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsEveryone is nice and helpful. I learned a lot!

ConsIt was difficult to get shifts.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know the employees more and motivate them. They really shape the experiences of customers.

Love it.

Toy Associate (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsThat I love to get money and more. That we will love to see a lot of people I know.

ConsThey do a lot for me and now they will work there all the time. That everyone will change us.

love

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Columbia, MO (US)

Prosexcellent and awesome love this job

ConsI have nothing bad to say about this job what so ever

Enjoyed working there

Department Manager- Walmart (Former Employee) Logan, UT (US)

ProsIn my experience, working at Walmart was great. I know a lot of former employees gripe about it. But just as long as you're doing your job, show up on time, and show an interest in moving up in the company, it can happen.

ConsTheir insurance was astronomical. I couldn't pay for it, considering I was the sole provider.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Pleasant

ProsBeing valued as a person. Plenty of opportunities to advance and try different things. Excellent director and management.

ConsSometimes new regulations, every store is different ,and should be approached in different way.

Worked for Walmart? Contribute to the Community!