Warner Music

Updated 19 November 2014
3.4

Warner Music CEO Stephen F. Cooper
Stephen F. Cooper

Pros
  • It has a really positive working environment (in 10 reviews)

• Great people, productive working environment, and overall a nice place to work (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No pay, but not a bad thing at all considering the experience and networking opportunities you are gaining (in 6 reviews)

• Disconnect between upper management and employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Entertainment

I have been working at Warner Music

Pros

International, music industry, streaming priority

Cons

I don t find any cons

Good team, but be prepared to fight tooth and nail for any sort of promotion

I have been working at Warner Music full-time

Pros

Great teams and employees, you'll learn a lot - mostly about yourself. Everyone makes loads of effort to make it a nice environment to work and play in.

Cons

Having to be a 'Yes' team in an overlooked department takes its toll. Especially when you work so hard to make a difference.

Great passionate colleagues but leadership detached from real issues

Former Employee - Digital Distribution
    Former Employee - Digital Distribution

I worked at Warner Music full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really good colleagues, exciting developments in digital content distribution, great artists and great nights out

Cons

weak US driven leadership, low salaries, long hours

Empower local and international teams, US based leadership not adopting change fast enough

OK for some, wrong for me

I worked at Warner Music

Pros

Reasonably relaxed environment, arts based company, nice colleagues, good pay (with market matching), reasonable benefits

Cons

Long standard hours of business, unable to work from home, uk office is in a poor location - difficult to balance family commitments with working here.

Suggest some shift working patterns - e.g. 8.30 to 5 and a 9.30 to 6 pattern.

Look at remote access options.

The most rewarding internship I've ever had

Former Employee - International Marketing in London, England
    Former Employee - International Marketing in London, England

I worked at Warner Music as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Really connected with everyone, was able to be extremely hands on, learned an incredible amount, very supportive work environment, really became a part of the family

Cons

No jobs available, employers were not extremely helpful when it came to helping find a new opportunity, going through a ton of changes at the moment and instability causes tension

My non-paid internship was a leap in the door.

Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Warner Music as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I've had about 8 internships in the course of my professional life, so when I say that my internship was, by far, the most valuable internship I've had - I mean it.

As an intern, I had the same expectations that other employees did. I was treated as though I was an employee, and I was allowed to flex my creative muscles to make a difference in the company. This was much different than any other way that I had been treated as an intern, previously.

I think WMG operates with a sense of confidence, positivity and respect, and that is what makes it a fantastic place for anyone to work. As an intern, you should treat every day as though you're being interviewed for a job. While the intern program is not as strong as it could be, it's 100% up to you to transform your internship into a job, which is something I have done.

Cons

If you are interning here for your first time ever, I highly recommend you take on an internship prior to this one to get familiarized with how it is to work in a corporate environment. You'll need to cultivate a sense of independence and professionalism to be successful here. It is not good for first-time interns, but for veterans.

Also, I think that the internship program is severely lacking and that there is a lot of room for improvement to show all facets of the company.

Great people who are passionate about great music

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA (US)

I worked at Warner Music full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The office environment in Burbank is fantastic. Everyone is fun and friendly and it's like a big family. Everyone I worked with is truly passionate and excited about the music we released. Dress code is very casual. There are opportunities to meet higher-ups and executives and ask them questions through educational group lunch meetings. The executives are very accessible and actually know people's names and treat other employees as equals.

Cons

Since the industry is shrinking and so many departments at this corporation now consist of very few people, some employees are seen as disposable. I watched layoffs happen with seemingly increased frequency toward the end of the time I worked there. The pay isn't the best, but nobody is really in the music industry for the money.

Warner Music Group/WEA Studio Service Internship

Former Employee - Studio Service in Burbank, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Studio Service in Burbank, CA (US)

I worked at Warner Music as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Outstanding internship to gain experience and knowledge of the music industry. My experience working here was a joyful one as I was assigned to several different projects. From the moment I received my badge to the day that I turned it in, I have enjoyed every bit of this internship. I am grateful for the opportunity and the knowledge that I have learned here. The team of engineers were all very welcoming and did not make me feel as if I was on any other level. The environment of working in the music business was exactly how I envisioned it to be. A very relax fun workplace to explore and expose your creativity. Everyone who works here looks like they enjoy life. There is a time for seriousness and then there is a time to have fun. All the employees here know how mix a good balanced healthy life. Music is life.

Cons

The challenges are very minor when it comes to working or interning here. The new words and programs could be quite intimidating if you have never been exposed to it. You will have to learn a new vocabulary working here to fit in. Definitely have to do your own research on certain programs and devices that are used to process music. You will have to learn a new database or even learn how to do invoicing. Your internship experience will truly depend on how hard you are willing to work. Study hard and prepare yourself so you can fit in the culture.

Help interns get job placements. The training here is unlike any other. I believe that some interns will be able to contribute their smarts and experience by hiring them to any position in the company. It would be a great asset to the company considering they started as an intern.

Its been pretty good so far...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Warner Music as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Employees want you to succeed and your doing real work that will help when you ready to apply for jobs and jump head first into the real world.

Cons

Sometimes there isn't much work to be done, but keep nagging and you'll find something to put your hands on.

Entry level positions should pay more. Most people coming to your company haven't been in the business for 10+ years but they still deserve a better salary because they work just as hard, if not harder.

In need of a makeover

Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Coordinator in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Warner Music full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work culture, always busy, and overall a nice place.

Cons

Leadership of departments need to have workshops to strengthen management. They also need to acquire a college degree to learn new skills.

People with advanced degrees should be compensated for their education and skills. Not fair that people without degrees make more money.