Weber Shandwick

Updated 13 December 2014
3.9

Weber Shandwick CEO Andy Polansky
Andy Polansky

Pros
  • Collaborative office; phenomenal resources; good work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great opportunities to work with great clients (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work Life balance can be a little crazy at times, but you'll experience that at an agency (in 19 reviews)

• The work/life balance tends to shift to the work side of the scale, so be prepared for long hours (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place shame about the culture

Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Associate Director in London, England

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good remuneration, good clients, good offices, interesting workload, great peers and employees,

Cons

Terrible senior management, emotionally led rather than professional, bullying and overbearing, lack of foresight and encouragement

Falling behind it's competitors, sadly!

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic CEO
    Great office
    Salary
    Friday beers
    Reception staff

Cons

Bullying culture
    Closed shop for progression
    Appalling HR

Get rid of the deadwood and let the next generation help make the company the top PR Firm in the UK again.......

Uninspiring environment with a lot of pressure to perform but little close to none incentives to do well

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in London, England
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in London, England

I worked at Weber Shandwick full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team working environment, good benefits such as health plan/discounted hotel rates etc.

Cons

Ridiculous bureaucracy, laughable and offensive pay, difficult access to other positions within the company in other departments, stressful sector, slave work for little pay.

Was a tremendous learning experience but gruelling and laden with politics stemming from the top down.

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in London, England
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in London, England

I worked at Weber Shandwick

Pros

Global, creative, a collection of great minds.

Cons

Very political in the London office, CEO is a headache and somewhat bi-polar in treatment of staff.

Be less political and focus on the work.

Good name on your CV

Current Employee - Accounts Executive in London, England
    Current Employee - Accounts Executive in London, England

I have been working at Weber Shandwick

Pros

Competent management, understanding when need to take time off, training, good location, opportunities to move to other departments, good name on the CV as it is a global company.

Cons

Often have to work long hours, hierarchical, often have value of work overlooked, departments do not often work together so not very integrated.

Ensure younger members of staff are given proper recognition so that they feel valued for their input into the comany and that their work makes a difference

Weber Shandwick is the perfect PR University for people starting out

Current Employee - Account Director in London, England
    Current Employee - Account Director in London, England

I have been working at Weber Shandwick

Pros

The sheer size of the company and its worldwide network means that you get to work on a range of international business and large brands on major campaigns. There is a level of training, knowledge-sharing and experience that cannot be matched by the vast majority of PR agencies.

Cons

Long hours and a tendency to go after every piece of new business at the expense of employees' free time. Often not enough time to truly think about how to deliver the best service for a client.

Communicate more efficiently with staff. There are often 'open secrets' that could have easily been communicated by senior management but instead spread their way aroudn the company via Chinese whispers

If you want to work in PR, Weber is the best of the best

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For a huge agency, Weber Shandwick offers personalized attention from middle management, insanely fun team bonding events and the opportunity to grow in the direction you want. My boss saw that I had an interest in financial services, and made an effort to move me to those accounts. Despite what comes with a big agency (bureaucracy, etc.), the corporate culture is energizing and fresh. People are smart and cool. In fact, some of my best friends I met at work. The fish in the lobby are adorable and we made up names for them (Big Poppa is the fat one who eats the others' food. If you come, you'll see him). I got the opportunity to manage the interns this summer, which was great experience in a supervisory role. The company also offers tons of training via lunch and learns and "classes" you can take on topics ranging from time management to communication styles.

Cons

Working on the same clients for the entirety of your job can get a little tiresome -- I get bored of clients after about a year and a half. Luckily, my managers were really supportive of my curiosity and desire to try new things. Sometimes it can feel like you're working on the same projects again and again, so it's up to you to volunteer for out-of-the-box assignments. If you do, management is really supportive, but the onus is on you.

Learned Tons

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Weber Shandwick as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I learned so much in my short time here. They really do work you hare as an intern - which in a long run is a great thing. The next firm I went on to could see the great experience I gained from Weber Shandwick.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like the place is a bit of factory - like everyone is just a cog in the wheel. I guess that goes along with the corporate culture though.

Make everyone feel equally important, and that they are actually adding a unique benefit to the firm.

Best "large" agency but not necessarily better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Weber Shandwick

Pros

--Incredibly smart people; lots of staff resources
    --Fun office; people genuinely like each other
    --Collaborative
    --Solid roster of clients
    --Decent side benefits (partial gym and cell phone reimbursement)

Cons

--As others have said, there's most definitely a sense of favoritism and office politics; whether you are recognized or given new opportunities will depend on who you're buddies with at the office
    --Low salary for the market and not negotiable
    --IT resources (old equipment, takes forever to get upgraded)
    --Virtually nonexistent training (formal training is maybe once every 4-6 months but it's not prioritized)
    --Very top heavy...waaaaay more VPs than AEs or SAEs -- that just doesn't seem sustainable

Hire junior staff. Offer more training. Pay attention to what's happening at the junior and mid-level.

It's Got What You Need (And MUCH More)

Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Account Executive in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Weber Shandwick full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Honestly, there's so little that I can complain about. We are a big company and have a massively cooperative and collaborative network across the board. I don't feel like just another cog in the wheel and I'm really junior on the team. We get regular communications from our leadership and recognition for what we do as a team/offices. Benefits are nice and make you feel like you're appreciated and that there is a good mix of downtown/happy hours/just for fun sessions to relax. Also, when I need to go to a doc's appt or leave earlier to attend a personal/professional event, my supervisors have been very flexible with my own schedule.

Cons

Since you're working with passionate and type A people, we are really focused on the details which can sometimes hinder the overall movement forward. There's also a culture of working late (even if you might not have much to do) and the more junior the harder. Sometimes I'm not too sure what are vision and goal is and how we are stacking up against that even though we win all of these awards.

Have a communications about our goals, visions, and steps to get there. Where did we measure up to these goals in comparison to last year.