WellPoint

Updated 24 November 2014
Updated 24 November 2014
3.3

Joseph R. Swedish

Pros
  • I work from home which is very nice as I don't have to fight traffic every day (in 99 reviews)

• Good level of work/life balance, it's definitely a 9-5 environment (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • They demand a lot and do not take work/life balance into consideration very often (in 26 reviews)

• This forced an extremely strong and ethical senior management out of the company (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Claims Analyst

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Constantly working. Room for growth.

Cons

Sometimes your operations expert might be in another state, getting immediate help with work can be challenging because they are also busy with so many things.

Great Employer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vast opportunity however the responsibility falls on the associate to drive their career path-tools such as training, education reimbursement, co-sharing are just a few named opportunities for associates to take advantage of , flexible work environment, such as virtual work@home, flexible schedules, leadership, benefits, autonomy of position, work-life balance

Cons

With large corporations comes the challenges of consistent communication. However, it is great to see organization such as WellPoint recognizes that and continues to improve the process.

Pros and Cons

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative III in Albany, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative III in Albany, NY (US)

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is good in comparison to other companies and depending on the time of year overtime is also offered and you may be able to work overtime for another area.

Cons

Frustrating calls with little to no support from management. If you're a good representative management will sometimes hold you back from advancing within the company.

Support associates more

Lots of Leaders Doing Very Little Leading!

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the IT people I worked with worked remote.

Cons

10 to 14 hour days were the norm. Lots of outdated requirements little decision making from how to deal with these issues.

Get rid of the middle management layer as they hear complaints and suggestions and fail to drive them up. There is no work life balance because the culture is one of be seen online and 14 to 16 hour days make you look like you're working hard rather than exposing there's an issue with people who aren't skilled enough to be in some of the decision making positions! Working remote was a god send, but it shouldn't mean 12 hour plus work days!

Good pay but lackluster benefits and culture

I have been working at WellPoint

Pros

Pay is great, people are generally nice, constant learning, flexible scheduling

Cons

Work-life balance is nonexistent at every level in some departments, especially on the Medicare side of the business. Resources are not aligned with management's expectations of the work that needs to be done. Burn-out is obvious among the best employees, which is a shame. Because the learning curve is so steep, turnover is very difficult to manage among remaining staff and new hires.

Hire more people, train them better, and give them attainable goals so they can maintain some semblance of satisfaction in their professional and personal lives. They'll be better positioned to perform well for you.

Good company dependent upon what division you're in.

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and ability to telecommute.

Cons

Lack of work life balance

Excellent Pay and Benefits, Insane Expectations

Current Employee - Developer Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Developer Advisor in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company culture, people, and work environment are great. The pay and benefits are above average except they are skimpy with PTO.

Cons

The workload is insane. (I work in IT.) Projects are promised based on what will make the managers look good, not on what is realistic. We never have time to do anything right, so we frequently have to make time to do it over. And that time comes out of our personal lives, those of us who have managed to hang on to one at all. We knew going in it wasn't a 40 hour week, but it has gone from the occasional 45-50 hour week to 10 x 6 or 8 x 7 as the norm, and we are on salary. We get resources too late in the project to train them to be much good, and training them takes time away from the time we can spend doing everything because we have no time to train!

Add capacity much earlier and plan for training time. Dropping contract developers into a highly specialized environment doesn't permit us to get the best use from either the experienced FTEs or the contractors. Hire at the beginning of the project so they can be fully up and running when the pace picks up, and have extra capacity. In the end it will cost less in terms of productivity, deadlines met, and turnover reduction. I have seen three FTE developers come and go in two years and they all said the same thing--"this is too much work for one person to handle."
    Also, enforce some discipline on the requirements process. We have gotten last-minute requirements changes and scope creep on nearly every project, and it is always IT that gets blamed for missed deadlines.

Mentally Taxing

Former Employee - Project Manager in Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I worked at WellPoint full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Other employees made the time here enjoyable. Flexible work arrangements and competitive benefits.

Cons

Will hire managers with no experience to lead seasoned employees causing internal conflicts.Work-life balance is touted but not obtainable. In a leadership or salaried position you will run the risk of burn out by attempting to keep up with the demands of a dept.

Started out great...5 years later, not so much

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Columbus, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Columbus, OH (US)

I have been working at WellPoint full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working from home, Paid time off

Cons

Lack of training, poor management and executive leadership, set their operations employees up for failure, unreasonable expectations

Consider how your decisions affect those under you; management is about more than logistics, it involves being a good people person as well.

Telephonic Nursing Case Management & Utilization Review

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at WellPoint full-time

Pros

Sometimes when we have last minute staff meetings at lunchtime we got pizza. When the work unit was small and self sufficient with good initial management.

Cons

Then it got too big too fast with mid- level supervisors and QA that audited you to death! Daily audits, weekly audits AND monthly PERFORMANCE plans, just for starters. Listening in to calls, reviewing our screens, we are PROFESSIONALS for Pete's sake. Should have let us do our job with your guidelines.

Lead, follow, or GET OUT OFTHE way. Unit failed.

WellPoint Photos