www.wellsfargo.com

7,424 Reviews

Wells Fargo President, CEO, and Director John G. Stumpf
John G. Stumpf
3,718 Ratings

Pros
  • The work-life balance is good and I was able to see a number of interesting deals (in 283 reviews)

• They do have good benefits although they continue to degrade a little every year (in 488 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales goals that must be met whether the customer wants or needs the products (in 565 reviews)

• work- life balance very difficult with the stress management gives to produce (in 138 reviews)

More Highlights

Professional and ethical

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in London, England

I have been working at Wells Fargo as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Good sense of identity and shared values.

Cons

Multiple and complex systems across international sites

Lots of pressure, lack of training

I worked at Wells Fargo

Pros

Decent grad salary, small teams

Cons

Poor training, lack of appreciation, lack of investment.

Take more time to invest in people

Wells Fargo

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large scale of business, stable, conservative, focus on the US

Cons

no ambition to progress, focus on traditional commercial banking business

Cross Sell or Unemployment, Wells Fargo Only Wants Employees To Sell Customers

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Wells Fargo (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits (but cost creeping up and coverage creeping down each year), Good Morale Both Management and Coworkers, and Honestly a Great Company.

Cons

Cross Selling is the only focus now, firing employees who are great at their job in every area that should matter but if the cross selling results are not meeting the ever ridiculous quota (which continues to rise) than you may not have a job next month. Expectation for customers to say yes to cross selling, leaving you with no real control of your job security. Stress!

Cross sell expectations are going to destroy the customers experience after all tenured employees are fired. All that will be left are employees that cross sell and could not resolve a true complex issue.

Wells Fargo's competitive advantage are their employees

Current Employee - Lead Teller in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Teller in Bellevue, WA (US)

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

I have worked for Wells Fargo for almost two years. I started as a teller and moved to a lead teller position. Wells has an extensive and great training program. They invest in their employees. In my district, I see my district manager every week and it feels less like a huge corporate company and more like extended family. Wells has great benefits and great incentive plans. Sales goals have consistently been lowered every year. Wells is focusing more on ethics and customer service than sales. You can get promoted in less than a year, like I did, if you work hard, take the initiative and ask for help you will succeed. Sales are extremely easy to achieve. Customer service is wells number one priority. You need to be customer orientated. The branch is extremely fun and high energy makes people excited to come to work. In comparison to Chase or BOA, Wells is the way to go. They invest more time and money into their employees and care about their development.

Cons

Hours are tough. Working 9-6 or like my branch,10-7 can be very tough. Not having a set schedule or working at a Sunday open branch is also difficult. Most branches are going to be transitioning soon to sunday open branches. The pilot program is going well and bringing in an increase in profit. Customer's can be entitled jerks.

Take time to get to know even your tellers. They are the face of the company. If the store manager and district manager engage our tellers, the tellers will be more likely to stay and provide great customer service.

Not Horrible but not that Great

Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Teller in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

PTO, Paid Holidays, atmosphere can be fun at times depending on management.

Cons

All about sales and not as much customer service. Penalties for not reaching "threshold"

If we focused on the customers more and less on sales then the company would be amazing as a whole.

Hard but pleasing.

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

It's a good company to work for. Glad to be with this company

Cons

It's hard to balance work and home life.

Not for the lazy

Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Tukwila, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Licensed Personal Banker in Tukwila, WA (US)

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for a job that doesn't require any formal education. You can start from a teller and work your way into a management position if the cards fall your way. Decent PTO. Medical benefits are what you'd expect from a private sector job.

Cons

It's called retail banking for a reason - you have to work Saturdays and you have to work evenings to make cold calls to prospects during their dinner/family time. It's all about sales. Management will turn a blind eye to "gaming" by bankers and tellers who produce high sales. Had to work with angry customers who were incensed by debit cards being ordered by bankers from other stores. Other bankers closed accounts rather than transferring them to new accounts to gain sales. It's an aggressive environment and even the best people walk a fine line. I always worked with ethics and doing what's right. Never got a shot to be a manager because I was consistently hitting my sales goals and finishing in the top 20% and not the top 5%.

Stop driving up sales goals every quarter on all metrics and then wonder why some folks game. When someone produces 200% to 300% of daily goals at a branch and others can't sniff 75%, it's wrong and you know it. Fire managers who don't curb gaming. And stop pressuring branches that do their numbers and ask for more while ignoring the branches that do nothing. Start promoting managers based on skill set and not numbers produced.

I love everything about my job, but a Lead Teller is the hardest position.

Current Employee - Lead Teller in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Teller in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Wells Fargo full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Wells Fargo focuses on excellent customer service and personal growth for each team member, which I love.

Cons

Lead teller is one of the hardest positions. As a lead teller, you must be able to multitask. You have to keep up with the duties of a supervisor and paperwork as well as teller duties and daily sales goals.

Managers, recognize the lead tellers that will do everything without giving you excuses.

teller

Current Employee - Bank Teller in Phila, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Phila, PA (US)

I have been working at Wells Fargo

Pros

good pay and flexible hours

Cons

some workers were tough to work with

basic teller position. very straight forward like other teller positions at other banks