Western Union

Western Union Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Western Union President, CEO and Director Hikmet Ersek

Hikmet Ersek

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance if you allow it and don't let the job take over your life(in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits, salaries are competitive(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management changes major initiatives each year and employee confidence diminishes(in 12 reviews)

• Work-life balance is out of balance(in 4 reviews)

Early doors but already a great welcome

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Peterborough, England

ProsInternational environment, fast-paced and very stimulating.

ConsWe are blessed with a lot of automation however I believe we have a long way to go to get the best out of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimplify. Learn from the Engagement Survey results which tell us that the main area we need to focus in is in making workplace systems and processes more simple.

Good work-life balance, poor employee/development job progression prospects - unless you are in sales

Operations Support (Current Employee) London, England

ProsGood work-life balance.

The employees are a pleasure to work with and, in general, are knowledgeable in their respective fields.

ConsLittle to no job progression/advancement prospects (unless you are in with the right people). Jobs which would be best filled internally are filled by external candidates.

Too much bureaucracy and red tape - all decisions need excessive, multiple sign off so nothing ever gets done. Everything seems to need sign-off from the USA - even if the country of impact is in Europe/elsewhere. You end up feeling that this need to jump through multiple hoops is only for the benefit of keeping US VPs/AVPs in a job.

Cost cutting and budget restrictions mean 'back office/support' teams are under-resourced, but there is always enough money to take on new frontline sales staff without thinking about how the additional sales will be supported.

General morale is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove development and job opportunities for internal staff, make staff feel valued and appreciated.

Reduce the excessive bureaucracy, allow country managers/ the relevant Head of Department the power to sign off projects/resourcing needs.

Operations

Regional Operations Manager (Current Employee) London, England

Prosnone - there is absolutely nothing good about this company

Consstrange culture, very suffocating atmosphere

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of some of the dinosaurs

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Career Advancement Opportunity, Good Salary and Fun people to work with.

Team Development Leader (Current Employee) Quezon City, National Capital Region (Philippines)

ProsThe place is very accessible. Good Salary.

ConsNo Benefits and less privileges (outside US and Canada).

interesting but challenging journey

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

Prosinternational employee base, many opportunities to engage inchallenging projects, flexible work location, good health benefits

Constoo frequent leadership & org structure changes

Advice to Senior Managementprovide a clear strategy during the constant, cycle of change for the better

Great Learning Expereince

Business Development Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGood Work life balance.
    Opportunity to own Business / Opportunity to Individually Drive initiatives.
    Employee Friendly policies.
    Learning Opportunities while working on Cross Functional / Cross Border projects.
    Good Pay Masters.

ConsVery flat Organisation.
    Lesser Vertical growth opportunities.
    Some sluggish due to might and size !

Alot of great people and talent.

Shared Services (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, compensation was fair.

ConsGood 'ol boy superficial management. Frequent and excessive layoffs and " re-orgs" in the midst of multi million dollar campus "beautification". Directors and Managers in sensitive positions working in cubicals.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent and less superficial.

Nice place to work

ProsFlexible hours and friendly work environment. Employees are nice and great to work with.

ConsNot full weeks all of the time. Great atmosphere to be a part of. Not much wrong with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood people

great place to work

Fraud Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Prosgreat atmosphere, good energy , great snacks.

Consbenefits are a bit pricey, hard to get hired.

Advice to Senior Managementneeds more personal growth,

In one sentence, my experience with this company has been a roller coaster.

Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThe benefits and time-off policies have become the best thing about working here. That has not always been the case.

ConsThe biggest challenge is dealing with off shore contractors. I understand that WU is a global company, but Speedpay is not.
    Taking development, QA and Tech Support off shore makes the job for those of us still here so very much more difficult. The language barriers and complete lack of knowledge and experience put us right back to square one time and time again.
    Speedpay used to be a fun, enjoyable environment where we operated much like a family. We felt like a team, we worked like a team and we got things done. We communicated well, we worked together and we did what we needed to do to succeed.
    Sadly, the job is now full of frustration. Most days, I don't even want to come into work.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring the Speedpay development, QA and Tech Support back to NY.

Worked for Western Union? Contribute to the Community!