Whirlpool

Whirlpool Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig

Jeff M. Fettig

Pros:
  • "Very interested in maintaining a good work/life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Great place to work for someone looking to move up the career ladder"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company doesn't support work-life balance idea - you must be prepared for overtime working"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company but many issues

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat career advancement opportunities but paid a price for it. Fortunate to have some bright and cutting edge bosses who helped me advance quite far in a short period of time. I learned a tremendous amount during my 8 years there and had some memorable experiences.

ConsNasty office politics with fighting among departments. Me first attitude among senior execs rather than team first. Borderline unethical quarter-end pushes that never end.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow people to make mistakes without compromising their career. I saw way too many good people lose their career for taking a risk. Fix the fighting among departments as it kills the underlying team's morale. Stop the quarter-end pushes. It is a great company if you are fortunate enough to hitch your wagon to a star but life is miserable if you are unlucky and have boss who is not a star.

LDP program

I have been working at Whirlpool

ProsGood exposure to the leadership. Business oriented experience. Travel to international locations.

ConsSmaller area of location. Not good if you are a young person who likes to hang out with friends. Relationship based company and too old school in many ways.

Nice start point for student. Not many full time positions at the time when I was there

Intern (Former Employee)
Wrocław (Poland)

I worked at Whirlpool as an intern for less than a year

Pros-Flexible hours
-80% of people working there is really nice

Cons-Some people are not really motivating(remaining 20%), no real option to communicate it to management as there is no clear peer and 360 deg feedback option

Great product. Great People. Bad coffee in the lunch room.

Industrial Engineer (Current Employee)
Findlay, OH (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than a year

ProsWorldwide manufacturing operations of consumer goods.

ConsMajority of Northamerican plants are in small midwest towns.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your facilities

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood Vision, Focus on Innovation, great cost management

ConsPerformance management system needs overhaul to retain great employees

If you are one of the top performers, you'll be worked to the bone, but have incredible learning experiences

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time

Pros- Global company with an impressive portfolio of brands
- Incredible opportunities to learn
- Experience best in class employee training and development
- Many job opportunities and growth options

Cons- If you want to be top talent and have access to the "pros," be prepared to work 80+ hours/week
- Highly political environment as you move up the ladder, particularly for the move from Sr. Manager to Director, and all levels above

Advice to Senior ManagementConvince the employees who are still there from pre-2010 that the company has the right to win in market in the long-term

Flexible, family-friendly work culture that sometimes gets tripped up trying to execute something quickly.

Lead Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexible schedules available, lots of effort being put into providing employees with a convenient/modern work environment and the latest productivity tools. Friendly culture. Good pay/benefits. Plenty of good managers who are transparent and care about their direct reports. Lots of opportunities for development/career growth.

ConsIts sometimes tough to get things done quickly with all the standardized processes to follow. Employee rating system does not promote taking the risks necessary to make Whirlpool the leader in product innovations. Sometimes there are several groups working on the same objectives (redundancy). Too many management layers and not enough workers in some areas of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenchmark some other ways of rewarding employees that promote teamwork, smart risk-taking, and technical skill development.

Flexible work schedule with lots of opportunity

Sales Development Representative (Current Employee)
Saint Joseph, MI (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible work schedule
Opportunity to advance/move
Exposure to leadership
Training program for sales reps is second to none
Invest a lot in their employees
Decent pay
Dynamic work environment

ConsLife out in the field can get lonely
Direct supervisor may live several states away and only visit once per quarter
Metrics for sales reps constantly changing

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat people at corporate think customers care about is not always what customers care about

Stay away from it if you are an engineer interested in technical career

Project Leader (Former Employee)
Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time for more than a year

Proswork life balance (if you are in the right areas like sales, mktg or finance) allowing to go home at noon on Fridays during spring and summer (not true in all areas though) and leave the office at 5 most of the time

can easily game the review system to get raises and quick promotions (network, sell yourself, follow directions blindly, use the leadership jargon "product leadership", "lean", "winning"...)

Some projects are big and technically interesting. The industry dynamic with the competition from new players (LG/Samsung) is driving change.

A lot of great people across the organization. Can easily build friendship with colleagues and have fun day-to-day (if one can cope with Sr leadership - see below)

Consno value for expertise especially if you are a technical person (mfg or engineering). Be ready to get an MBA. no organizational learning - people move all the time without building any learning

poor coaching - little real personal growth - a lot of leaders get promoted before they are ready and thus cannot coach effectively even when they would like to

arrogant management ("we are the best") despite very poor strategic vision ("cut costs and launch good products")

bureaucracy and micro management: little autonomy to make any decision, including hiring to staff a team. must have VP approval for many things

many promotions due to networking/personal relationships not results despite the claim of results-based promotion system (example: poor quality, poor cost, 6-month delay project resulted in a promotion for the project Engineering Director)

Very poor analytics - a lot of decisions are judgment calls. Bringing analytics is looked upon as "being slow" and therefore impacts negatively your rating.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring diversity in your management: people with industrial background and not just sales/mktg/finance. Your competition is now too good to ignore.

Very constructive in the beginning and declining over time. People's value is based on behaviour not on capabilities

Operations Director (Current Employee)
Trento (Italy)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 10 years

Pros#1 in our industry worldwide with lot of resources available.
Very challenging environment that force you to develop and to grow day in day out

ConsToo many temporary and/or generalist managers but poor specific knowledge and skills at high level.
In Europe shrinking and leaving less and less opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementYour manager level feels that there is no more space for long lasting carriers in Whirlpool

Worked for Whirlpool? Contribute to the Community!

Whirlpool Videos

Whirlpool – Why Work for Us?

We’re the largest global home appliance manufacturer in the world, but we’re still just a small town company in our hearts. We create products that make millions of people’s lives easier every day, and we’re committed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whirlpool reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Whirlpool CEO Jeff M. Fettig. All 350 reviews are posted anonymously by Whirlpool employees.