Whirlpool

Whirlpool Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig

Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies(in 26 reviews)

• Whirlpool is a great place to be in marketing or finance(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance except for those who are part of the inner circle of cronies(in 16 reviews)

• Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements(in 10 reviews)

Whirlpool - Corporate Headquarters

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsThe work-life balance at Whirlpool is great and the pay is good. Leaders are flexible regarding family needs, illness, etc. There is a lot of opportunity to move within the company, both within your job function and into other business areas. The work is interesting and I enjoy working for a company that produces the vast majority of product they sell in the U.S., in the U.S.

ConsCorporate headquarters is in a small town, if your spouse also works there is not much opportunity here for them. During my interview process, Whirlpool touted that they have many employees whose spouses also work at Whirlpool, talked about how they help spouses, and stated there would be great opportunities for my spouse. Once I was here, they have done nothing to help my spouse get a job. My spouse is even willing to change careers or take a step down, to get a foot in the door and contribute income to the family. My spouse never even makes it past the "rejected by outsourced recruiting company based on resume without even a call" stage. Make sure you both have a job offer before you move here. I will probably end up moving eventually so that my spouse can contribute income to the family, too. I wish I didn't have to, because I really love my job and the opportunities for me are great. But, we need two incomes long term. I understand each hiring manager wants the perfect fit, and I was naive in believing the puffing from HR during the interview process. Also, annual raises are less than the increase in the cost of living. Housing and food costs in the area are high. Company is very concerned about local community relations and supporting local businesses, so they don't put fitness centers or child care centers onsite as amenities for employees (although they have a "culture of health").

Great Company

IT Lead Analyst (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

Pros100 year old company lots of investment and evolution in IT

ConsHard to advance. Not a lot of professional growth oppertunity for SR individual contributors

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease opportunities for career advancement

Good company to start your career with but difficult to stay with long term

Sales Development Representative (Current Employee)

Prosgood company culture, "no wrong way to do a right thing". HQ is in SW Michigan which is a tough place to attract talent from around the country. Most employees there hail from that part of the country and don't mind the lack of a big city and cold winters but outsiders resist moving there.

Consslow to innovate and keep up with challenging competition at times. Top level leadership is still a good old boys club if you look around despite existing in an industry where customers are primarily women.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecruit from outside the SW Michigan, Ohio, Indiana area and diversify the workforce.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun products to work on with great people.

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsFun products with a great sense of urgency to get them to market. Headquartered in a excellent small community right next to some of the best beaches in the country.

ConsLong hours are expected for a promotion. Pay is average at best. Lots of last minute requests from management.

Advice to Senior ManagementShorten the time to advance people amd prioritize life balance.

Uncaring no support of medical issues

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsGreat business for area, offers job opportunities in distressed area. Career opportunities and advancement in education is a benefit for employees.

ConsNo support to employees with medical problems, development of health issue means bye bye job...whirlpool don't deal with that

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more caring, supportive of great employees that love to work , not fire them because of health issue time off.

Good place to work

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood work and family balance.
    Manufacturing locations management is good

ConsCorporate bosses (they are not not leaders) say one thing and do other.
    Corporate management not so good

Advice to Senior ManagementHire or promote real leaders that have proven leadership and not just friends from previous jobs

Overall, Whirlpool is a good place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Benton Harbor, MI (US)

ProsYou get the chance to work on great, meaningful projects with a team of pretty great people. St. Joseph/Benton Harbor is a wonderful place to raise a family and the weather is great (in the summer!)

ConsWish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement some really robust HR policies that support employees who want to work in a more flexible way. Right now it has to be done "under the table" and there seems to be no support for the top.

MLDP Intern

Manufacturing Leadership Development Program (Former Employee) Greenville, OH (US)

ProsCompetitive salaries, flexible hours in non-manufacuring roles. Good people for the most part.

ConsHuman resources is unresponsive and difficult to work with. They are reluctant to communicate through documented means which can become difficult in the end. The plant locations are all in very small midwestern towns which is not for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on implementing modern manufacturing techniques and build more collaborative working environments within the plants.

Senior manager

ProsGreat new facilities and flexible working environment. Summer with the lake are great.

ConsNeed work life balance improvements. Would like to see them promote from within verse going outside so much.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on driving new business and product leadership so we can be ready for the next downturn.

Be sure to take the lead in everything.

Design Leader (Current Employee)

ProsDriven and enthusiast environment to work in.

ConsCorporate mis-alignments on strategy. Lacking clear direction from senior leadership by overload of messages.

Worked for Whirlpool? Contribute to the Community!