Whirlpool

Whirlpool Reviews

Updated Apr 21, 2014

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig

Jeff M. Fettig

Pros:
  • "Very interested in maintaining a good work/life balance"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Great place to work for someone looking to move up the career ladder"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "The company doesn't support work-life balance idea - you must be prepared for overtime working"
    in 15 reviews
  • "Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent foundation of values, but not followed by every department.

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhirlpool has an excellent set of values. Salaries and benefits are overall competitive. Whirlpool as a whole is a solid company with longevity in the market place.

ConsWhirlpool's values are not followed by every department, causing a negative impact to morale and productivity. Some departments/positions are given less value than others and are provided poor and/or inefficient tools to perform duties. This causes a severe "slow down" in completing tasks within required time parameters.

Advice to Senior ManagementI suggest that upper management take a closer look at how the "lower" levels of positions are being valued and the tools that they are provided to the employees. There is a lot of waste caused by not providing the right tools to employees to perform their duties. Many excellent employees are being overwhelmed because the tools they have do not support the job requirements they are accountable for. Ultimately, our customers suffer because of lengthy delays to resolved issues.

The job is easy, It's the higher up's that need to learn how to talk.

Assembler (Former Employee)
Greenville, OH (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time for less than a year

ProsJob is simple, Hours are great, Overtime available, Not strenuous.

ConsThe people, Management, the food in the cafeteria and vending machines.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake classes on how to talk.

Good experience, but quite stressful at times

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPlenty of different job types and product groups to move around in.

ConsEngineering buildings are old, cubes getting smaller, cube walls getting shorter, so its difficult to concentrate on your work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop thinking that you know more than we do about what we need to do our jobs, or where our problems are in getting projects done. Stop making the work environment more distracting! Also, please stop preaching StraightTalk when you really don't want to hear it from the team member level. Other than that you're doing great.

Nice people, good place to work.

Training Specialist (Former Employee)
Wrocław (Poland)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople who work there are open and friendly. They keen on sharing their knowledge with new employees.
Whirlpool Poland (former Polar) is still in its changing process - it gives you lot of opportunities to develop and implement your ideas.

ConsWhirlpool's rewards and benefits policy doesn't include private healthcare and other insurance coverage. The company doesn't support work-life balance idea - you must be prepared for overtime working.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing productive doesn't mean to stay late at the office.

Wonderful company!

Supply Chain Analyst (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 8 years

ProsWhirlpool is committed to the best customer experience, innovation and loyalty. It strives to meet consumer needs in all market places and puts the customer at the center of everything.

ConsThe US business is so large it sometimes feels segmented. As an employee it takes some personal initiative to remain informed on all areas of the business.

Typical corporate environment

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent opportunity to learn a wide range of business and technical skills. Good place to start a career.

ConsTalent evaluation process is very over engineered. I have seen way too many great people passed over simply because we have to fulfill a ridiculous HR distribution. It's like "Corporate Hunger Games"

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're a midwestern manufacturer - stop pretending that you're in Silicon valley. Instead of trying to force fit talent inside the constraints of a text book curve, try having some faith in your managers and their ability to keep/grow talent and weed out under performers.

Mixed messages from management

Project Engineer (Current Employee)
Marion, OH (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for less than a year

ProsHR seems like they want to develop you as an employee. Good pay and bonus structure.

ConsMixed messages from management, something that wasn't acceptable yesterday, is now acceptable. Not a lot of communication from management about changes or plans for the company. Rating scale for performance reviews. Line supervisors are difficult to work with. Not much of a "teamwork" mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from the auto industry and implement key fundamental quality controls and procedures. Get rid of the bell curve rating scale for performance reviews and actually rate people on their performance. Provide a more clear direction to employees.

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)
Saint Joseph, MI (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people that work there. What is left of the culture before Whirlpool expanded over the last 30 years. The company is large enough to move around and many managers are supportive to career moves.

ConsThe organization is too tall. I know a few engineers (including senior level) whose 5th supervisor is his director (4 supervisors/managers vertically before hitting the director). Designer/drafters & Technicians are often even farther down. For this reason it is easy for upper management to not see people, but numbers. They continue to chip away at what good things were left from being a small company and bringing in a mix of good & bad large company policies. The company continues to reduce benefits and perks to make them the same as the industry "average" yet continue to demand miraculous results, therefore they get an average rating from me. Pay is on the low side, but there is not much else in the area without driving an hour. I know of several people, including engineers, who have 2nd jobs to make ends meet. I would recommend to a friend, but with an astrix - It is better than working at KMart.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor Upper management - Ditch your brown nosing entourage and come talk to a straight shooter 5-7 levels below you if you want to hear the truth. Everything is very filtered by the time it gets 3 levels below you, let alone to your level.

Great boss... but that was about all that was good...

Engineering (Former Employee)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood location and cost of living. Open, friendly people deeper in the organization

ConsBad CEO who is only focused on short term gain and a disfunctional executive team who cannot seem to work togther.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate culture starts at the top. Set a better example.

Sales Service Representative

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Knoxville, TN (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood benefits and compensation, excellent products that are worth standing behind

ConsPoor organization of duties and responsibilities and they have culture issues--dont make fat people tuck in shirts.

Advice to Senior ManagementMass producing great appliances is one thing but service is still a required obligation and the customer need to be treated better than cycled around to keep call times acceptable.

Worked for Whirlpool? Contribute to the Community!

Whirlpool Videos

Whirlpool – Why Work for Us?

We’re the largest global home appliance manufacturer in the world, but we’re still just a small town company in our hearts. We create products that make millions of people’s lives easier every day, and we’re committed… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whirlpool reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Whirlpool CEO Jeff M. Fettig. All 350 reviews are posted anonymously by Whirlpool employees.