Whirlpool Reviews

494 reviews filtered by
3.6
Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig
Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies (in 30 reviews)

• The employees of Whirlpool are what make it a great place to work (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance except for those who are part of the inner circle of cronies (in 17 reviews)

• Position was located in a small town so local attractions/things to do, were low (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Vice President in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Big, meaningful work objectives & high quality, committed colleagues. Great values-driven,high-performance work environment. Excellent place to grow leadership skills.

Cons

Large, global, matrixed organization can take time to learn how to navigate. Continually improving facilities, technology, and policies and practices to enhance employee experience.

Keep setting ambitious goals. Continue to make intentional investments to equip employees to achieve high expectations and produce differentiated results.

2. Wonderful experience with a Leadership Development Program

Current Employee - Supply Chain Lead Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Lead Analyst in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Whirlpool really cares about its employees, customers, shareholders, and communities and thrives on great company values and a rich business history. I went through one of their Leadership Development Programs for 3 years and the experiences, trainings, and leadership exposure has served as a springboard for my career. Whirlpool allows individuals to own and drive their career development with a suite of formal tools and a friendly, ever helpful culture. They work hard to create inclusion and strong engagement through various social, business, and volunteering events. The company is dedicated to remaining an industry leader, an innovator, and a great employer for many years to come.

Cons

Everyone I know loves the company. The biggest downfall is site locations in the US. Most are smaller towns that are very family friendly but lacking in 'excitement' and job opportunities for partners in different fields of work.

Management has done a great job expandong their global reach, navigating a number of major acquisitions, weathering the recession, and fending off unfair trade practices from competitors, which will set them up for great future success. Keep it up!

3. Technology Engineering

Current Employee - Technology Engineer in Monterrey, Nuevo León (Mexico)
    Current Employee - Technology Engineer in Monterrey, Nuevo León (Mexico)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, flexible hours, good environment to work. If you need something or you don´t understand something the people is very helpful.

Cons

Wrhilpool is an excelent company, but the growth is very slow, it takes aroung 3 years to reach a new position role in your area

Global company that has a great culture.

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Great training for Managers. In process of undergoing a major update of their facilities in Benton Harbor. Very nice environment to work in. Culture is very family friendly and it is possible to have a good work / life balance. Values and leadership model are embedded in everything people do. Many opportunities to work globally and across functions.

Cons

Not many other large companies in the immediate area. Career advancement can be a bit slow unless you aggressively pursue opportunities.

Have a more defined career ladder and job descriptions. Sometimes it is difficult to know what experience is needed to move up or across functions or how decisions are made to fill those roles.

6. Has good areas to work in and bad areas, like most companies. You can move around to find your place if you are patient

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of areas to work in engineering, like design, labs, technology, etc. Also can make lateral moves through several product categories.

Cons

Medical plan is expensive and complicated to maneuver if you want to get the most out of it.
    Some areas really have poor leadership with no good long term plans, but at least you can move around to other areas.

Think longer term, figure out what the customer wants/needs 5 years from now so we can beat the competition, instead of matching what they have in the market today and staying behind them.

7. Ex whirlpool technical project leader

Former Employee - Michigan in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Michigan in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Solid benefit, OK if you are an engineer isolated from Marketing. They have some very cool products in the consumer goods space. Work like is well managed. Not many people work late.

Cons

Very relationship driven company. You will need to invest in your work relationships as much as technical delivery. At times, the relationship investment matters more than actual technical knowledge. The typical marketing teams are *very* short sighted and reactionary.

Start holding the marketing teams accountable to long range plans and the research that is needed to development the plans. Way too much seat of the pants planning - but it gets sold based on the charisma of the marketing director.

Siloed and slow to change

Current Employee - Director in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Director in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pays well, with ample benefits. Culture is pleasant, very little yelling, facilities improving and wonderful, but small community.

Cons

Very much works in silos. Has a very hard time embracing cross functional work and leaders are constantly defending their turf. Do not look for your leader to help you develop in your career.

The talent growth and career pathing is a mystery to the rank and file. The politics and continual alignment of people to make decisions is stifling. Many creative people leave the organization due to these issues.

9. ---

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Flexible to needs of contractors

Cons

contract workers feel left out of the equation

Feedback

Current Employee - SQE in Saint Joseph, MI (US)
    Current Employee - SQE in Saint Joseph, MI (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Good challenges.
    Decent pay and work hours

Cons

Management says one thing and does other.
    Conflicting goals

None

11. It was a great experience where I learned skills that I otherwise wouldn't have acquired while still attending college.

Current Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Cleveland, TN (US)
    Current Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Cleveland, TN (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The skills acquired including customer service and communication were a great addition to my resume. Overall, a good experience for someone needing experience.

Cons

Too micromanaged for my liking. Every single second was observed and timed including breaks and lunch. All was recorded on the computer.

Find a different way to manage breaks and time away from the phones. It is both stressful and unnecessary to manage workers like that.