Whirlpool Reviews

Updated 20 October 2014
3.4

Whirlpool Chairman and CEO Jeff M. Fettig
Jeff M. Fettig

Pros
  • In general, the work-life balance is above average compared to other large companies (in 28 reviews)

• The employees of Whirlpool are what make it a great place to work (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance except for those who are part of the inner circle of cronies (in 17 reviews)

• Wish that upper management was more open to flexible work arrangements (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company with a healthy working Atmosphere

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Pune (India)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst in Pune (India)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Your work accepted globally. Respect for all the research that you do.

Cons

Bad Management and Bad Time Calculation Habbit

Import Specialist

Current Employee - Import Specialist in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Import Specialist in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Company really cares about it employees and strive to keep everyone happy.

Cons

A lot of issues always seem to pop up at random times. A person can easily get lost doing all the dirty work that needs to be done.

Great people, Great brands. Poor treatment of employees.

I have been working at Whirlpool

Pros

Whirlpool is the caretaker of some of America's greatest brands in appliances. They make so e excellent products.

Cons

The quarter end pushes for volume are endless and almost harassing. Whirlpool also treats older employees like trash, something to be discarded. I have seen time and again high quality people around me disposed of. The latest guy had 13 years of excellent t reviews. 5 weeks ago he was put on a performance plan and now he's gone. No severance nothing.

The EEOC will get you guys some day.

Lots of opportunity; lots of work; tons of politics

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are pockets of amazing people in Whirlpool. Amazing people who encourage, inspire and do great work that is connected to a higher order purpose. There are some really outstanding leaders here.

Cons

There are pockets of highly political, self serving, egocentric and demoralizing leaders that are unfortunately very highly placed within the company. These leaders say the right words, but their behavior doesn't match the company's values.

Flush the politics and ego trips from the highest levels of the organization. Enable, empower and trust your employees.

Mediocre

Former Employee - Production Worker in Greenville, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Greenville, OH (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people were pretty friendly, and after a few months they wanted to hire me ( I was a temp at the time)

Cons

It's a dangerous environment. I got into an accident there a rack fell on my head and they sent me to get a tetanus shot and told me to come back the very same day. They didn't care. I gave them 2 weeks notice.

I think my advice to management would be to care for your employees better

Good people, good products, horrible leadership

Former Employee - Corporate Finance in Benton Harbor, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate Finance in Benton Harbor, MI (US)

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is easy to feel good about the products you are making. Everything you could want in terms of a diversified business career opportunity as a finance professional.
    Middle management has some really promising people...assuming they last.

Cons

Toxic work environment which is fed by utter lack of leadership from CEO and other senior leaders. Jeff Fettig has no idea what real leadership is, so he has decided to make his mark in "cost leadership". This translates to slashed benefits, hiring freezes and failure to fill vacant positions even as stock price soars. The company grinds employees into the ground and expects they won't complain because there are so few opportunities in SW Michigan. Some senior business leaders are unprofessional and borderline unethical in their treatment of employees, but FOJs (friends of Jeff) are exempt from scrutiny. I could go on but why bother.

Learn the difference between leadership and management. Don't take advantage of employees' loyalty

The Good, The Bad, and the Plain Ugly

Former Employee - Numerous
    Former Employee - Numerous

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The employees of Whirlpool are what make it a great place to work. People are generally friendly and ready to help as needed. I had some very good mentors at Whirlpool and was able to move throughout different departments.

Cons

One supervisor was found guilty of sexual harassment by the EEOC and Whirlpool made a settlement with the victim, yet kept the supervisor on in the same capacity. Also, it seemed like the bigger jerk you were the higher up in the company you moved. The worst was that with its employee appraisal system since it had a percentage of employees who had to be at the bottom, the people (such as me) who resigned to take a position elsewhere got the worst performance reviews at his/her exit. This was proven by going through HR files at the branch I worked at and again, nothing was done.

Get some real supervisors who are hands-on and helpful. Revise your employee appraisal system because even though I won a national award from the company, when I resigned I was given a "needs to improve" final appraisal. You talk values but you don't walk values - it's all about the share holder and the bottom line!

I was an Assembly line worker moving around in various areas to learn assembly there, and worked there for two months..

Current Employee - Rotating Assembly Line Worker in Marion, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Rotating Assembly Line Worker in Marion, OH (US)

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This was a job that was available through the Marion County Ohio Department of human Resources (public hiring) and they were interested in hiring all kinds of people they said because they had a large number of people priory fired who were part of a large abusive gang. About the only requirement for this job was to be physically fit and teachable.

Cons

Someone was playing games and I could not get paid every week like I was supposed to. Going to Human Resources did no good. They kept shorting employees of money owed overall. Then, there was an accident within the facility and a woman removed on a gurney. The, someone meddled with me car and accused black smoke to come out of the tailpipe. I do not like industrial workers anyhow and the job became to high risk and too mean.

No comment.

Experience depends on who you meet

I worked at Whirlpool full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Whirlpool can be great and can offer someone who is being tracked a wonderful opportunity. In fact, the chosen ones get so many wonderful opportunities it is not possible to handle them all. Fortunately for the chosen ones Whirlpool furnishes many minions.

Cons

They rate on a curve and you cannot get more than your share of high ratings regardless of performance. Their talent pool rating system is a force fit and for many employees this is not done at all or it is done as a check box at hiring. This is important as it either slams shut or opens doors for promotion or lateral moves. Job descriptions and responsibilities vary wildly as to whether they exist, are followed or are ironclad. Whatever you are hired to do could be entirely fictional from actual job duties. They are shedding over-50s and locals in order to provide a hip "campus" and younger culture. They are not worried about appliance experience and have populated senior mgmt. with car, CPG and other industries.

Great company culture.

I have been working at Whirlpool full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work arrangements, changing culture with new collaborative, open office concepts.

Cons

Like all companies there are some poor people leaders that essentially can change the dynamics of an entire organization.