Whitbread

Andy Harrison

Barista whitbread

Barista (Current Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than a year

ProsSeen many people progress through the company internally.

ConsManagement sometimes lacking in supporting a bar team.

Advice to Senior ManagementEquality with shifts. All staff should be rotated around the Rota; instead of bar staff given consistently longer shifts with less tips.

Unprofessional

Waiter (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time

ProsWeekly pay and lovely customers

ConsHorrible Management, area manager doesn't pay attention to anyone and its everyone for themselves

Advice to Senior ManagementGet feedback from the lower members of staff on the management

Great company with great people

Regional Operations Manager (Former Employee)
Dunstable, England

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUpper quartile pay scales with very good overall packages. Rapid progression opportunities available as well as opportunities to gain experience in more than core role.

ConsVery high pressure to deliver unrealistic targets at times and some very dubious promotion decisions made on occasion. Progression not always based on merit but overall, nothing more than you would find in any other large organisation

Alright place to work

Barman (Former Employee)
Caernarfon, Wales

I worked at Whitbread for less than a year

ProsA nice friendly place to work with focus on training and development rather than a blame culture. Provide a nice working environment.

ConsThe hours you can be expected to work are very long especially if you are on your feet all day. Work days end up being the same.

Fun working atmosphere but too many targets and management changes

Front of House/Waiter (Former Employee)

I worked at Whitbread part-time for more than a year

ProsOften the Front of House teams in the restaurants are quite young so this can make for a fun and sociable working life. Wages and the tip system is brilliant if you're a waiter - can double earnings. Lots of shifts and over-time usually available and people will be quite flexible about swapping shifts.

ConsToo much brand standards to adhere to and which are changed too often. Sometimes feel the service is just too rigid and pushes individuality out of Front of House staff - can even take customer focus away from staff as they are under time and performance pressures. Management seems to change rather regularly in the restaurants, not very coherent for staff - and often favoritism and personal relationships get in the way of effective management.
I also feel career progression is poor - many at the restaurant I worked at had worked there for years and despite pushing, were getting nowhere with progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop changing the brand standards and the menus so often, or if you do, provide REAL training on these changes. Work on having slower turnover of management at each site, it's confusing for the team. Have a better talent spotting system for those wanting to progress into a career with the company.

The worst company I have ever worked

Waiter (Current Employee)

I have been working at Whitbread full-time for more than 5 years

Proswell, really difficult to find any. only one thing may be positive if your work as waiter/waitress - tips, otherwise well underpaid job for work you doing.

Consstaff meals/drinks - paid, unpaid breaks (it doesnt matter if you take one or not, till system will clock you out autoamticlly after 6 hours, for UNPAID 30 min) , loads of responsibilities (upselling, upsizing, cleaning, advertising, brand standard) for min wage, company doesnt care about their own workers, any good ideas how to improve your working place are ignored, the worst company i ve ever worked for!! No loyality to company, staff demotivated, no benefits to be a part of whitbread whatsoever,

Advice to Senior Managementput more focus on yours staff not on the figuers - we are human not robots, appraciate our hard work,

Over worked and under paid. Short term bottom-line focus is a recipe for disaster

Leisure Manager (Former Employee)
Chichester, England

I worked at Whitbread

ProsHard to say as nothing jumps to mind. I guess there is some comfort in knowing that the vast majority of your colleagues are in the same bad situation as you are. With a network as big as Whitbreads there is in theory a lot of opportunity for career advancement, however in reality unless you are an ass-kisser then you will get nowhere!

ConsPoor salary. Understaffed and therefore very over worked. Working in an enviroinment where there is zero room for anything out of the norm to happen without serious consequence to operations, makes for an extremely stressful life. And when these types of issue are not standard across your competitors, you feel totally demotivated and no loyalty to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook after your employees - think about their quality of work environment. Stop over working your people, and treat them as you would like to be treated

Ok as a first time job

Barman (Former Employee)

I worked at Whitbread full-time for more than a year

ProsThe shifts are very flexible, easy to pick up extra shifts if needed,
A very good social side and incentives.

ConsThere is not much room to progress, They can cut your shifts down to very few hours as long as the 6 week average matches your contract.

learning

I have been working at Whitbread

Prosbig, friendly, close to home

Conslow wages no career options

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great place to work...

I have been working at Whitbread

ProsFriendly people, relaxed and informal working environment, great benefits package with competitive bonus and Sharesave schemes. Great variety of brands to work with and progression across the company is actively encouraged

ConsLocation of Head Office is difficult to reach by public transport and being in the middle of an industrial estate means it is not easy to get to shops etc at lunchtime

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue innovating

Worked for Whitbread? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Whitbread reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Whitbread CEO Andy Harrison . All 11 reviews are posted anonymously by Whitbread employees.