Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros:
  • "Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store"
    in 78 reviews
  • "generous employee discount for sales associates and lovely fellow associates"
    in 47 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is truly no work/life balance here - despite what they say"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Disconnect between reality in the stores and what upper management thinks/dreams"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Manager

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people work here and make the job fun! The product is great and the discount helps!

ConsThis is a very complex job with high expectations. The stores struggle with payroll and it difficult to deliver all lever. You do have enough associates working to get the job done!! Upper management doesn't great it...clueless!

Advice to Senior ManagementStretching people is ok but not to the point that there is nothing left! No work live balance will ever be achieved working here if things do not change! Live in reality! Give stores some payroll!

Decline in standards and support

Part Time Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe people I work with REALLY want to provide a great shopping experience, both with products and culinary education

ConsCorporate support has gone AWOL

Advice to Senior ManagementLISTEN to your managers-When they are pleading for extra hours to be able to have enough help, its not so they can sit in their offices and do their nails. They are trying to keep up with all the metric reports, webinars (that are like a middle school slide show-come, on. WS is in California-there must be someone that can bring the IT system up to speed,. I'm just guessing), floor set changes (why not put stuff on a rotating floor belt), culinary programs that don't get the extra hours to have the classes done right-or pay for a quality culinary professional to teach them (do you honestly think a $9.00 an hour person has the same capability to teach a cooking class as a trained chef? ZzzzZzzzZzz WAKE UP!

Great Place until Philosophy Changed

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Edina, MN (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat products, awesome discount.

ConsManagement always under pressure from above. Too much micro-managing of mature employees. Inflexible regarding work schedules.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Orlando, FL (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat company to work for. The culture is a mutual respect and willingness to accommodate associates' unique circumstances. The products practically sell themselves due to the high quality of merchandise and excellence in customer service.

ConsNo cons about working for WS, however it is a retail industry with all that it entails.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt my store (PBK branch) in Orlando, Fl. management cheers for your success and growth within the company as well as providing opportunities to learn more and better yourself as an associate. GM engages every employee in being a cohesive team. Compensation is within the market's average retail business.

Great place to work.

Buyer (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI met smart, wonderful funny people while working at the corporate office. There was a great focus on customer service and employee education.

ConsThe company felt less personal as it continued to grow.

It was a ok experience, but I felt like so creatively stifled!

Internet Design Coordinator (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat discounts on all the amazing products were obviously a perk. I love going to the employee warehouse sales. There were some great deals at those, but only if you got a good lottery number. Good benefits for the most part, I thought their PTO was a little stingy and slow to accumulate.

ConsIf you are a creative and depending on your level on a particular team within the WSI umbrella you will be doing the EXACT SAME THING FOREVER. Then don't even get me started on the the higher ups there. The creative directors really only cared about one thing and that was what the merchandisers had to say (at least on my particular team). Unfortunately, during my time there I had to work under a manager who was completely under qualified for the position, which was very frustrating to work for, when you know he/she is doing something incorrectly.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously vet the creative managers you put in place and push the envelope a bit more creatively. Also, "the cave" seems like a good idea in theory, but I seriously though I needed a sun lamp at times, because of the remote placement of the room.

Great Company - GREAT PLACE TO WORK

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than a year

ProsProduct. People.Performance
The product is high quality you can believe in when selling to guest!
The people at all levels in the company are genuine and really care about associates!
The managers communicate constantly how you are doing on any given day and are always letting you know they appreciate you! LOVE this COMPANY!

ConsI have no cons.. would like to work more

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the GREAT WORK!

Overall, a satisfying place to work

Furniture Service Associate (Current Employee)
Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCoworkers are like family and very supportive of each other

ConsNot enough internal job openings

Advice to Senior ManagementStop interviewing every single person who applies for an internal position just because they applied. If not all applicants are qualified, do not interview all applicants; it just wastes time and gives false hope.

good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma

Prosgood place to work part time

Consnot enough hours to work

Advice to Senior Managementmorehours

Great Place to Work

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 5 years

ProsI got to use all my favorite kitchen gadgets and teach people how to use them. Got some nice sales awards in the from of product.

ConsHoliday hours... I'm not cut out for the commitment of hours durning the Holiday's required by retail.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Williams-Sonoma reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Williams-Sonoma CEO Laura J. Alber. All 533 reviews are posted anonymously by Williams-Sonoma employees.