Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros:
  • "Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store"
    in 78 reviews
  • "generous employee discount for sales associates and lovely fellow associates"
    in 47 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is truly no work/life balance here - despite what they say"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Disconnect between reality in the stores and what upper management thinks/dreams"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent company to work for

ACB (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat culture. Management team is friendly and supportive. Good pay and benefits. Work load is manageable. Early Friday release during summer!

Conssome of their offices physical condition is shameful. For being a fine home furnishing corporation, the condition of their corporate offices is less then desirable. We have had a leak in the ceiling for over a year and no one bothers to fix it.

Manager

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people work here and make the job fun! The product is great and the discount helps!

ConsThis is a very complex job with high expectations. The stores struggle with payroll and it difficult to deliver all lever. You do have enough associates working to get the job done!! Upper management doesn't great it...clueless!

Advice to Senior ManagementStretching people is ok but not to the point that there is nothing left! No work live balance will ever be achieved working here if things do not change! Live in reality! Give stores some payroll!

This company is going down hill fast

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat discount, enjoy working with store employees

ConsConstantly decreasing payroll and resources, yet increasing duties and responsibilities; lack of awareness of the corporate office of unrealistic goals; poor planning; poor pay; lack of respect for the store level by the corporate office; misleading sales advertised to the public

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to what made the company great in the past; great products, and great service. The company is trying to do do too much and as a result sales continue to plummet and employee satisfaction is almost nonexistent.

Company culture/attitude trickles down

Creative/Corporate Headquarters (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

ProsFamily of brands is well known and well regarded. They draw smart, talented people with solid backgrounds and experience. On the ecomm side, people work hard, but they seem to be having fun.

ConsExecs have one foot firmly planted in the past. Teams are chronically under-resourced (not enough people to do the punishing volume of work). Salary-wise, they're notorious lowballers and the perks are minimal and pretty old school. First place I've worked where company mission (their "competencies") seems to be pure lip service. Culture is cold and elitist from the top down. Execs seem to not care at all how the sausage is made, what toll it takes to execute against their ever-changing directives. Not a collegial place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the times. Live to your competencies - for real. Crunch numbers to free up headcount. Commit to better work/life balance initiatives. Revolutionize the attitude there from the top down.

Great co-workers; inept management.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Lynnfield, MA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

ProsDecent employee discount (20% or 40%); colleagues were enthusiastic, understood products and tried to work together and keep environment positive.

ConsIncompetent management: very little appreciation and respect for employees; inability to keep up-to-date with company standards; manager created difficult dynamics in store. More than 50% of new employees left and cited manager as reason. Surprised health inspector didn't visit more often and make suggestions.

Salary too low to be able to shop at W-S; for a high-end and expensive place to shop, salary was too low.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more competent managers. Sometimes "twenty-somethings" don't have enough life experience or ability to see beyond themselves which results in difficult work situations. Lots of waste at this location. Allocate more payroll hours so that store can be run effectively.

Transportation Intern

Transportation Intern (Former Employee)
Olive Branch, MS (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma as an intern for less than a year

ProsComplex company, great products, interesting and exciting place to work

ConsManagement was too busy to provide challenging work

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate project based work before interns begin

Great place to work.

Buyer (Former Employee)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI met smart, wonderful funny people while working at the corporate office. There was a great focus on customer service and employee education.

ConsThe company felt less personal as it continued to grow.

Decent work place

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

ProsThe percent we get off can be worth while especially if you need accessories for your house/apartment. Pay is good for college student.

ConsHaving to get clients for yourself and deal with co-workers taking your sales. Some mangers can be hard to work with and hrs are earned by your sales per hour. You will not be full time only full time people will be the mangers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork more towards being team oriented instead of having sale goes for associates. Can't progress with just a few experienced sellers everyone must contribute. Having to request a month in advance for vacations or time off is horrible.

Overall, a satisfying place to work

Furniture Service Associate (Current Employee)
Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCoworkers are like family and very supportive of each other

ConsNot enough internal job openings

Advice to Senior ManagementStop interviewing every single person who applies for an internal position just because they applied. If not all applicants are qualified, do not interview all applicants; it just wastes time and gives false hope.

If only they were a people first company.

ACM (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat product. Great return policy and guest backing.

ConsUnder paid, under appreciated and payroll never = the amount of work expected!

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get the corp team to put on reality glasses and see what the stores need in payroll to run.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Williams-Sonoma reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Williams-Sonoma CEO Laura J. Alber. All 533 reviews are posted anonymously by Williams-Sonoma employees.