Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store(in 82 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales(in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong(in 25 reviews)

• The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers(in 33 reviews)

Don't do it!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProduct, discount and people. Enjoyed trying all the delicious sauces and foods made some great friends!

ConsNo work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong. Hr did not stick up for people who told the truth.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive better training . work in the field with the managers. work nights weekends and holidays like the field employees do. Don't keep backstabbers and brown nosers working for company

Lost in the shuffle of excuses not to act professionally!

Design Specialist (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA (US)

ProsNice environment,,,,,,,terrible co workers and management

ConsRetail side... this is the worst corp. I have ever worked for ,,, I have been bullied by all management... told I couldnt drink water or use the bathroom till lunch.....Volunteered for a full day for at work for St. Jude's and never was thanked for working all day for free.. good cause though... But I have to drive over an hour and a half to get there... plus the on call shifts at Pottery Barn would call you all the way in and send you home 30 min later.. Employees are very scared of the Bullying and it makes it a miserable place to work!!

Advice to Senior ManagementRethink your entire module and how to treat employees fairly and _Legally_______!!!!! Your management were bullying from the beginning.........I have worked lots of retail with Nordstroms , Baker furniture and this was by far the worst experience I have ever had................ I know you won't read this since you sent my last paycheck to wrong address and bounced my bank account over HUNDRED DOLLARS.. then HR hung up on me twice b/c they didn't feel like dealing with it since I had left...

Exhausting

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOutstanding coworkers. Knowledgable and interesting.

ConsWhere do I start? Thankless amount of work to be done. Bare-bones staffing. Turning in to a high pressure sales environment but with no extra training or staffing hours.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great discount, management varies from store to store

Keyholder/Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing discount, samples and usually a flexible schedule

ConsAccountable for specific sales goals with no consideration on time scheduled (ie - being responsible for the same sales number when closing and having an hour of your shift closed as an associate who is working in the afternoon)

Management varies from store to store, sometimes they don't even like to cook! Schedules can be very random and the use of on-call shifts is difficult to manage.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop leaders! There is no career path outlined for the company, so you end up hiring from outside and end up with many inconsistencies.

I love my coworkers, but management it only focused on their bottom line and treat salespeople poorly.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA (US)

ProsGreat discount at WS, Potterybarn, West Elm

ConsManagement talks a great talk, but doesn't deliver regarding personal growth, pay and promotions
    Laura and the managment team is so focused on making the store look good, spending thousands of dollars on flowers and less concerned about the morale of associates

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more associates full time to keep morale up and prevent everyone from constantly looking for a better opportunity elsewhere. Support associates in their goals of advancing, when you see a good person not only keep them but also help them advance.

Started out loving the company...but my opinion changed after 9 years.

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsIt is a very enjoyable job when given the opportunity to help the customer. Loved my store employees and the customers. A very fun atmosphere at the store. Great salary and benefits.

ConsExpectations of the the staff are way to high for the hours provided. It was impossible to get everything done that needed to be done on the hours allocated. Constantly cutting hours at the stores, forcing exempt managers to put in lots of extra hours and coming in on days off. They say they are focused on customer service, but the amount of tasking they assign, doesn't allow for employees to spend the kind of time they need with the customer. They expect huge visual displays and turns to take place that should take about 50 hours to get done, then they tell you to cut all your hours, but still get the visual changes done, so then you're working on displays during open hours when you should be helping your customer. Ever since Howard Lester passed, the company has gone down hill. Corporate is greedy and only focusing on global expansion and losing sight of the heart of the company...Howard would be very disappointed in how NOT People First the company is.

Advice to Senior ManagementA store can't run on 200 hours and accomplish all the tasks that are assigned. Constantly cutting hours and keeping the same task expectations is unrealistic and demotivating. Also need new registers that aren't literally from 1985! Get into the 20th century.

The glory days of Howard Lester are gone.

ProsGreat brands and products.

ConsNot open to new ideas. Very conservative management team and they are very insecure about opinions different than Laura Alber's (CEO).

Ok, if you work in the back it is dangerous during the holiday season

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

ProsFlexible hours, and good discounts

Consdangerous place to work during the holiday season

Advice to Senior Managementstop email me.

Loved all the products, met lots of nice people and enjoyed the job on a whole.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat discount. Loved learning so much from co-workers. Enjoyed trying all the new products. Good exercise walking and climbing ladders.

ConsPay is terrible and always working weekends! Always on your feet. High expectations only from some.

Advice to Senior Managementa real disconnect and expectations are unrealistic!

PA III

Proswork and personal life balance, supportive management and open environment.

ConsBeing in San Francisco sometime traffic becomes an issue. Office is at wonderful location so you might not feel like working.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!