Williams-Sonoma

Updated 30 September 2014
2.7

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 84 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons (in 30 reviews)

• Upper management never visits the stores- causing a complete disconnect from stores to corporate (in 37 reviews)

More Highlights

analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

reasonable work to life balance

Cons

lack of support from management

improve networking through the enterprise

Very engaging company, motivating and authentic. Listens to individuals and their goals and encourages teams.

Current Employee - Senior Vice President  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very inspiring company, you can contribute and bring your ideas. Room to dream and grow. Honest candid feedback for your future development. You are encouraged to drive your business and are rewarded. Working here is inspiring and challenging and cutting edge for retail and ecom. You get to run your part of the business with support.

Cons

Moving faster than we can develop leaders. All teams must ramp up to bring along future leaders the company is young and thriving and needs innovative thinkers.

Continue to seek out and ask for innovative ideas. Great company for women very supportive. Love the people first culture. Continue to push for diversity and inclusion it is a great match with company goals.

Do everything by yourself and expect nothing new

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Nice location and good exposure to retail

Cons

There were less politics before but as the company is growing we see more politics and less work

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not for the technologically inclined

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, good chances for movement within the company

Cons

They do not value technology at all. Computers that are barely held together with tape are given to new employees. Industrial printers for the design team break on an almost daily basis. They have just enough equipment to go around and no spares if things break which is all the time.

invest in your company. it's hard to attract good talent when they will not get the tools to do their jobs.

Fun and generous company to work for

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  Akron, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Akron, OH (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay, culture, leadership, perks, discounts, rewards for contests, work life balance, bonuses, fun environment, training, scheduling, diversity, atmosphere, overall a great place to work!!!

Cons

High end prices mean High end customers who tend to be more picky. For instance, we would have customers who obviously misused a piece of cookware that they bought 10+ years ago and expect replacement.

Dont have employees shop for food off the clock, that is my only concern

It was decent.

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma

Pros

Some opportunity for advancement. If you do what you are asked to do, you have good job security.

Cons

The higher ups do not really care about what the associates do, or give you any leeway. You must complete the task, or be replaced.

Great brand but could always be better!

Former Employee - Corporate Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great discount in multiple brands (Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn and West Elm), opportunities for advancement as long as you are very patient, beautiful location of corporate office, amazing product and amazing employees who share a passion for the product. Strong heritage and 99 year old founder still visits the building from time to time. Love the WS mission to "bring people together around food".

Cons

CEO micromanages from the top which comes off as lacking trust in associates from top to bottom, improvement to broken processes is slow at best, low base salaries compared to similar companies in the Bay Area and annual raises that can't even keep up with inflation. Work/life balance is often unbalanced especially during the holiday seasons.

130% bonuses to execs and 2% raises to low level associates won't allow you to build and MAINTAIN the best possible teams in Retail. Associates (the worker-bees) need more recognition for hard work than a "catch the spirit" plaque and a $100 gift card.

From Employee To Foodie

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Williams-Sonoma is the mecca when it comes to food and it does so diligently by training their staff on the how-to's. I learned so much from being there, cultivating my passion for food and what to have and what not to do.

Food bridges the gap to communication and in turn brings forever lasting friendship.

There is so much to learn and everything is life appropriate.

Getting to yes is their policy and it's something unique that many companies do not do.

Cons

It's difficult to grow in the saturated retail world. Always look for corporate or office job.

There has been great and relentless members in management. All I'll say is to "always park ones ego at the door" and never bring it to work.

Great product and benefits, direction of company sometimes off track

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great discount, 40% off at all brands
    Great co-workers at my store
    Great benefits when I was a full-time employee
    A good part-time job during the holidays, or year-round if your store has the hours.

Cons

At the end, company strategy had changed, seemed to shift to a bigger focus on metrics and gathering emails and a smaller focus on providing an amazing customer experience, which is one of the things I loved about the company in the beginning. Also, unrealistic demands on store staff as far as how much could be done in the time budgeted.

Remember to focus on the customers first, one of our unique features is a store staff that has stories to share and good advice to give, as well as creating a great environment. Pushing credit cards and email capture in this luxury environment is not welcoming to customers.

Seasonal Sales Associate

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people were wonderful to work with and the products were mostly top of the line

Cons

The scheduling was a little unpredictable

Corporate upper management might want to be more friendly and less intimidating to working staff and store managers

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!