Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated 23 August 2014

2.7

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber
Laura J. Alber

Pros
  • Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store (in 82 reviews)

• Best Reason to work here is the employee discount and the Sample Sales (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, payroll constantly being cut some DMs had little pets who could do no wrong (in 25 reviews)

• The current upper management does not appear to care about the employees or their customers (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

analyst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  London, England
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

reasonable work to life balance

Cons

lack of support from management

improve networking through the enterprise

A supportive and rewarding environment!

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate  in  Camp Hill, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Camp Hill, PA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company values and professional growth are many fold. A very supportive environment and many opportunities to grow and be rewarded.

Cons

High stress situations at times however advice from supervisors was helpful. Having to grasp a lot of product knowledge every few weeks could be overwhelming.

Overall great experience

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time

Pros

Easy going job, high-end, great clientele, friendly atmosphere

Cons

Not enough hours, not enough business, expensive products

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Executive Leadership Team leads the way

Current Employee - Vice President  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

What is most important to me today is to work at a place where I feel the leadership likes to win and succeed and also focuses on giving back to the communities where we do business. This exists everyday at Williams Sonoma, Inc. Acting like an entrepreneur is alive and well here which means hard work with a real sense of meaning and purpose.

Cons

It's retail so you have to love being flexible and not sweating change

What do you need from your associates to achieve the growth goals?

Some of the nicest people I have ever worked with !

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Inclusive Culture, Work Life Balance, Learning and Development are not only encouraged, but ample opportunity to do so. Along with the appropriate offering of training in house.
    I really enjoyed the ALL Hands San Francisco Associates Conference held at the Historic Galileo High School - followed by a Wellness Carnival at the Maritime Museums Bocce Ball Courts this week.
    I was inspired by the leaderships presentation and speeches.It has invigorated my ability to 'dare to dream' ! It was an all round wonderful day of learning and engaging. Lunch was provided by a great selection of food trucks, followed by camaraderie and physical activity with fellow co-workers.

Cons

to be honest, I have not experienced any yet.

In it for the long term

Current Employee - Retail Support  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Support in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

we have a rich culture of service to our external customers and internal associates. It's possible for any associate to make a difference. Amazing products- proud to be part of the team.

Cons

we sometimes need to slow down and listen to associates- ask them to actively be part of the solution.

Keep your vision and dream. Never forget our values-it's what has made us great.

Asst Mgr

Current Employee - ASM
    Current Employee - ASM

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very Creative --interesting Culture great products. Fun people to work with generally-I have learned so much while working here. I have made a major life change since working here and am able to show my new found passion for cooking and clean eating while making a living.

Cons

the corporate attitude has really disintegrated the company Chuck started. I understand the need to make a profit--but why at the expense of the company's original concept.

listen to store every associates--they are face to face with your customers every single day.

Amazing Store but...

Former Employee - Associate  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

Pros

Loved the environment and the people. The quality of the store products are amazing. Great company. 40% discount on all items except plug-ins which is 20% discount. Your entire paycheck and more will be spent at the store.

Cons

The salary is the worst. It is a very low paying job. Everyone had a second job except for the managers. Everyone is part time except managers who work 40+ hours. Associates are not allowed to work full time and the schedule changes every week. Also there is only a 10 minute break when you work less than six hours, 30 min break for more than 6.

Make the starting salary at least $10 an hour, not $8. Paychecks are the worst part of working at the store and probably the only bad thing about working for the company. Too much work and effort is expected for very long work days and only making 8 an hour. Also make 10 minute break at least 15 minutes. Nothing can be done in 10 minutes. Employees should also be able to combine their associate discount with store promotions.

Unappreciated

Former Employee - Distribution Planner  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Distribution Planner in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great discount and sample sales are really fun. Great benefits. For the most part the employees are really smart and dedicated to their business which makes it a nice place to work. I worked at WS for 8 years and was highly satisfied until 2 years ago when management shifted.

Cons

Career pathing is non-existent so very little room for advancement. It's nearly impossible to move up unless you're in the "in" crowd or get lucky and a manager decides to leave. Managers are not trained and, in my experience, have no people management skills thereby over-working their direct reports with no regard for work/life balance. Having to work every weekend (mandatory!) through peak as a corporate employee speaks to mis-management and disregard for work/life balance.
    HR is under-utilized and under-staffed. They seem absorbed with hiring only and lose track after the initial hire. I returned from a 6-week LOA and had zero contact from HR. When I decided to leave the company (giving 6 weeks notice) I had to contact HR the day before my last day about scheduling my exit interview.

Focus on training all managers. HR is uninvolved and should be engaging and meeting with all employees to have an idea of job satisfaction, etc...Providing breakfast and lunch is not a reward when asking employees to work extended hours.

Overworked, under payed and unreasonable expectations!!!

Current Employee - Stock Associate  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Stock Associate in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Pros

Generous employee discount. Flexible scheduling to fit you personal needs. Good open door policy.

Cons

Work load is extreme through out year. Even worst around the holiday season. Always cutting hours. How can anyone live on 10 to 15 hours. Wages extremely low, not competitive for industry. Most be extremely knowledgeable of product, customers want to know how things work, taste and where they are made. No training program for product knowledge. Upper management always want more but don't pay more.

Stop cutting hours. Be realistic with work load and give sufficient hours for task at hand. Stop categorizing people as casual and part time. Give people full time and enough hours to live a comfortable life.

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!