Williams-Sonoma

Williams-Sonoma Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Williams-Sonoma President, CEO and Director Laura J. Alber

Laura J. Alber

Pros:
  • "Great discount for to enable everyone to spend their salary in store"
    in 78 reviews
  • "generous employee discount for sales associates and lovely fellow associates"
    in 47 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is truly no work/life balance here - despite what they say"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Disconnect between reality in the stores and what upper management thinks/dreams"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
London, England

I worked at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than a year

Prosreasonable work to life balance

Conslack of support from management

Advice to Senior Managementimprove networking through the enterprise

Laid back but pay not competitive for the area

Full Service Associate (Current Employee)
Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLaid back, easy job, great discount

Consincompetent management team, salary, time off policies

Advice to Senior ManagementNot all of your employees want your jobs. It's ok to take their advice sometimes without feeling threatened. Some associates are more educated than the management team so it's frustrating working for people who know less than you.

Good Company

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Brea, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than a year

ProsFun place to work. Good managers. Really enjoyed the Williams Sonoma School, where the company brought in people representing a certain make or brand, for example, Cusinart or All Clad and you would learn all about the products sold in the store. Gave you more confidence and knowledge when talking and making sales with customers.

ConsJust wear comfortable shoes, because you will have to be on your feet.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways appreciated when the managers would give commendation of a person's hard work.

Great employment for a part-time seeker.

Seasonal Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat people, great discount. Beautiful merchandise, never gets boring. Nice clientele, generally pleasant.

ConsAdvancement opportunities only if you're willing to kill yourself--Physically strenuous full-time work. Heavy lifting. Poor pay for management. Be willing to push consumer debt in the form of the branded Visa card. In the three years that I've been there, hours are continually being cut to meet payroll budget. Expect to work hard and do a lot in a short period of time.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more competitive with pricing. Suggest a rewards card that is NOT a Visa.

Fun and interesting place to work

Associate (Former Employee)
Syracuse, NY (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat employee discount! You will typically get to sample food while working, and be around coworkers who really enjoy what they do and the products they sell. You get to learn a lot about the wide variety of great products.

ConsDifficult to get time off or move shifts. Monthly payroll varies from month to month based on sales, which affects the number of shifts available for employees to work. Working hourly at WIlliams-Sonoma could never be your sole source of income as available hours are sporadic - some weeks I would work 1 or 2 shifts, and others I would work daily.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there could be a way to increase available payroll so that hourly employees could work more regularly, it would provide a more reliable income for them.

Williams-Sonoma needs to pay more for talent

San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat vendors, exciting product, good work life balance, great location.

ConsPay is low compared to other retailers and not much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementLack communication to actionable groups, last minute changes disrupt processes

bad

Analyst (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for less than a year

ProsGood office culture, good work life

Consbad promotions, not good peer work force

Advice to Senior Managementgive chance to freshers

Declining Sales, Perks, Ever-Increasing Requirements

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Provo, UT (US)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma part-time for more than 8 years

ProsBest reason for working here is for the discount, fun people you work with and customers you meet.

ConsI've been at WS for 8 years. We have gone from asking for zip codes to also being required to get customers' email, advertise the WS Visa card and ask them to sign up on our clientele list. It's just TOO MUCH. Now we only get hours if we are 'top sellers.' That means you may have no scheduled shifts for weeks. How can you be a top seller if you are never working!! We're also now required to accomplish a to-do list for every shift, being warned corporate is looking at how often we're logging in to the computer on every shift. We no longer have the cool contests we used to. We have had so many problems with our year-old GM, especially ethical issues and a number of us have contacted the district manager and HR but she & HR has done nothing about him. A former DM hired him shortly before leaving the company because she liked him, even against the warning from our former GM and others not to. I don't think the new DM wants to stir the pot for fear of looking bad to her Regional Manager. What a mess. Morale is low. Everyone talks about quitting or has. It's really hard to be there now.

Advice to Senior ManagementClearance prices need to come down at a more accelerated rate like they used to. We sit on clearance for months on end. The 'culinary experts' who teach the cooking classes are grossly underpaid for their expertise. The fact that you can have numerous on-call shifts per week and have to set aside that period of time just 'in-case' you're needed but without any compensation whatsoever is ridiculous.

Didn't like it. Poor pay, poor understanding of employees needs

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Crystal Cove, CA (US)

I worked at Williams-Sonoma part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat discount, some nice fellow associates, nice location

Constrying to make a living on $9.00 an hour, your feet will kill you, you don't get many hours a week as a part time employee maybe 4-8, no one will switch shifts with you

Advice to Senior Managementfigure out a away to post the schedule earlier for p/t ee's, try not to laugh at the newbies, try to make the compensation better, have time to listen to feed back, give exit interviews

Amazing Company All Concepts

District Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Williams-Sonoma full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe entire company works hard to protect it's great culture . Vicki is always looking for new ideas on how to make the associates environment the best . Open door policy is owned at every level . Great Product Great discount Great contests .

ConsNot enough time in the day ! So many new great roll outs stores struggle ( but want to ) keep up

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's already been shared

Worked for Williams-Sonoma? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Williams-Sonoma reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Williams-Sonoma CEO Laura J. Alber. All 533 reviews are posted anonymously by Williams-Sonoma employees.